#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

Drew and I are getting ready to record the next podcast and we're looking for questions for the Q&A section.  You can either post them here or mail them to podcast@experimentalbrew.com

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

What was the first beer that you made that made you fall in love with this hobby?

What do you think the next big "thing" in craft beer is going to be?

There are so many craft breweries now and there is talk of a bubble that's ready to pop.  In my area (New England) I have yet to see a significant number of these breweries shut down and many of them seem to be expanding.  So is the end near or is the bubble not real?

Can I use US Hallertau in place of German Hallertau?

What methods have you tried for filtering hops in the serving keg?  Which methods have you liked the best?

Chloride and sulfate levels in beer - discuss!

What is your favorite dry ale yeast (US-05, S-04, Nottingham, etc.)?

What is your favorite dry lager yeast?

People are often surprised that my homebrew actually tastes good.  This seems to be based on their past experiences with homebrew.  Are the majority of the home brewers new to the hobby or not serious enough about it make good product?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 27 January 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

Can I use US Hallertau in place of German Hallertau?

Not if you want to get "it" :)

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

There are a lot of new hops out. More than many people can keep up with. What is your favorite new hop and how do you like to use it?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

you know "it"!

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

Well, BJCP Grand Master Ted Hausotter would disagree with that, but yeah...I know what ya mean!  ;)

Thanks, guys!

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

Well, BJCP Grand Master Ted Hausotter would disagree with that, but yeah...I know what ya mean!  ;)

Thanks, guys!

I tried to throw you some touchy-feely questions in there.  I feel like a lot of people here have a really good handle on technical stuff.  I actually have a hard time coming up with technical questions that can be readily answered in a couple of minutes.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

I tried to throw you some touchy-feely questions in there.  I feel like a lot of people here have a really good handle on technical stuff.  I actually have a hard time coming up with technical questions that can be readily answered in a couple of minutes.

Know what you mean and I kinda hesitated to post because of that.  But I really appreciate your input.  Some good questions there.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

There are a lot of new hops out. More than many people can keep up with. What is your favorite new hop and how do you like to use it?

I like that questions and I think a way to expand on it would be talking about hop pairings and good combinations and what can be expected out of them.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

I like that questions and I think a way to expand on it would be talking about hop pairings and good combinations and what can be expected out of them.

I feel like that could be a whole show or maybe a recurring segment.  maybe a hop of the week?

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

I feel like that could be a whole show or maybe a recurring segment.  maybe a hop of the week?

Interesting idea.  Maybe we could get someone from YCH and/or Stan to come on and talk about that, too.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

Interesting idea.  Maybe we could get someone from YCH and/or Stan to come on and talk about that, too.

that would be cool.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

that would be cool.

Not to mention a bit more authoritative than Drew and me!

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Not to mention a bit more authoritative than Drew and me!

Get Stan on and just let him talk for like 2 hours. He is extremely interesting to listen to regarding hops or anything else.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

I think that could be helpful.  At least for me it would be.  Not getting to brew as often as I would like and with all the new hops out there it would be nice to have an idea on combinations prior to brewing a batch and finding out it just does not work.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

I think that could be helpful.  At least for me it would be.  Not getting to brew as often as I would like and with all the new hops out there it would be nice to have an idea on combinations prior to brewing a batch and finding out it just does not work.

We actually addresses a question like that in the last episode or 2 and the answer comes down to "it depends on what you like".  Sure, we can tall you what we like, but that may or may not suit your tastes.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

We actually addresses a question like that in the last episode or 2 and the answer comes down to "it depends on what you like".  Sure, we can tall you what we like, but that may or may not suit your tastes.

I think it's still valuable info.  if something is pretty universally liked I usually agree.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Sure, but at least it is a starting point.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:24 PM

Another question, what is your favorite base malt and where do you like to use it? What is your favorite specialty malt and where do you like to use it?

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:05 AM

how about this - suggested best practices for keeping the maximum amount of hop aroma in the beers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users