#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

I'm tired of my hydarulic QD's sticking all the time. Seems like no matter how well I clean them after use the ball bearings always stick to the sleeve. The inner silicone seals also needs replaced. Problem is in my current set up I need 10 females for hoses and 15 males for appliances. Gets pricey. I had a $60 gift certificate so I'm at least half way there. I figure I will sell most my brass QD's to help make up the difference. 

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

I have not experienced that issue.   As long as I keep mine clean they do not stick.  I had thought about swapping out to the cam style or even tri clamp but the price made the decision easy for me.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

I love mine, but I also haven't used anything else. Got mine at brewhardware. If I remember right they are about $4 for male and $7 for female? Kinda pricey yeah but they look nice and have less restriction.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Mine never stick. I get new O-rings for them about every year and they work fine.

#5 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

I like mine. They get hot so you need a pair of gloves to grip them.I bought mine from McMaster -Carr 10 years ago. The metal O rings will rust if you leave the coupler in Star san for too long

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

I've done nothing to mine - probably the same George recommended a decade ago.  Mine stick a little sometimes but are fine when wetted.  I've never replaced the O-rings since nothing leaks.  I'm due to replace hoses soon so I may replace the O-rings and lube the ball bearings.  For the most part they are still great.  I move connections several times on brew days.  I'm so used to them and it goes quickly enough that I quit using gloves a long time age.  Tri-clamps are cool but I see no reason to upgrade at my place.

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

I guess mine are hard to clean or something. Regardless I'm excited to switch to all SS with full flow. The cam locks also seem to be a better seal. I will find out soon enough. 

#8 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

They definitely seal very well. Also not a problem to install/remove with one hand after you get the hang of it.

#9 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

I've used the SST camlocks for about 5 years and have found them to be reliable and trouble-free. I think I picked mine up from ProFlow Dynamics and they were supplied with silicone O-rings. That has proven to be a good choice since they seal very well. 

I got the regular hose-barb female fittings and threaded male fittings, so each of my hoses has female fittings on each end of them. The opening diameter of the hose barb is pretty small and I worried that this would overly restrict flow. But since I'm an engineer, I calculated the head losses from those barb fittings and found that it amounted to a few percent when the pump was operating wide-open. In most cases, I don't operate the pump wide-open, so that head loss is inconsequential.  

Go for it.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

I've used the SST camlocks for about 5 years and have found them to be reliable and trouble-free. I think I picked mine up from ProFlow Dynamics and they were supplied with silicone O-rings. That has proven to be a good choice since they seal very well. 

I got the regular hose-barb female fittings and threaded male fittings, so each of my hoses has female fittings on each end of them. The opening diameter of the hose barb is pretty small and I worried that this would overly restrict flow. But since I'm an engineer, I calculated the head losses from those barb fittings and found that it amounted to a few percent when the pump was operating wide-open. In most cases, I don't operate the pump wide-open, so that head loss is inconsequential.  

Go for it.

The brass QD's I have and what most others use here the ID of the barbs are around 3/8. The came lock barbs are a true 1/2.  I'm sure I will need to adjust the pump speed through my RIMS and my plate chiller using the new cam locks.

Engineer's must call that head loss, us firemen call it friction loss! 

#11 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

Yup, I can't remember how long I've been using mine, but they have been great. I also have the reduced diameter female barbs because they didn't have the "big c" ones yet when I ordered. 

I actually just bought two of the big c full flow female barbs to put on the input hose of the pump, along with some other threaded female and male camlock fittings for some of the projects that I've been working on. I made converters so that I can use the garden hose to flush out all my tubing and the pump, one to connect to the air compressor to blow out the water and dry out the two stage counterflow chiller, as well as one to a John Guest fitting to use the pump to flush my tap lines.

I originally bought from pro flow dynamics, but this recent order went through bargain fittings, their pricing was quite competitive, they have a flat $5 shipping, and they shipped in less than 24 hours.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Bargain Fittings has good pricing. Luckily the cam and groove have industry standards. So purchasing the females at Brewhardware and the type F males at BF they will work together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users