Photo
- - - - -

how do you clean your immersion chiller?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

I have a SS one, wash off with oxiclean when cleaning up.

How do you like the SS chiller?  I'm eyeballing a 50' one as I currently am using a 25' copper one and with ten gallon batches it takes forever to cool down to pitching temps.  I have heard about the SS not having good heat exchange rates or something as SS is apparently not a good conductor?  

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:47 AM

How do you like the SS chiller?  I'm eyeballing a 50' one as I currently am using a 25' copper one and with ten gallon batches it takes forever to cool down to pitching temps.  I have heard about the SS not having good heat exchange rates or something as SS is apparently not a good conductor?  

someone else can do the calculation on that but I think the fact that the temp differential is so large for most of the chilling process that using SS vs copper isn't that big of a difference.

#23 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:49 AM

The rate it drops temp is mostly dependant on groundwater temp. I've read a bit on the difference in heat exchange between the two. Homebrewheaven did a comparison of 25' 3/8" chilling to 70F and the results were: 15.5 min for stainless steel versus 13.5 min for copper.
httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz4CoITHX3M

It's easy to clean, very strong, no corrosion to worry about. Everything you'd expect from SS.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

The rate it drops temp is mostly dependant on groundwater temp. I've read a bit on the difference in heat exchange between the two. Homebrewheaven did a comparison of 25' 3/8" chilling to 70F and the results were: 15.5 min for stainless steel versus 13.5 min for copper.
httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz4CoITHX3M

It's easy to clean, very strong, no corrosion to worry about. Everything you'd expect from SS.

yeah - had it been cheaper when I built my copper one I probably would have gone with SS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users