#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

If you all could break down and really clean a plate chiller, would they be more attractive to you as a homebrewer?

I thought about this the other day. I really want one that I can clean properly. Why hasn't Blichmann or some other manufacturer done this yet? Seems like it would be a good business if it was popular. They'd be selling a lot of gaskets. I guess it would directly compete with the therminator though. It would likely be a little more expensive too.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

I have had a few plate chillers and always sold them just because I was worried about the nooks and crannies.  I am also surprised there has not been a small scale one that you can take apart marketed yet.  depending on price I would think about it.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

I have had a few plate chillers and always sold them just because I was worried about the nooks and crannies.  I am also surprised there has not been a small scale one that you can take apart marketed yet.  depending on price I would think about it.

I'd get one in a heart beat. 

I had thoughts about designing one. Theoretically I could do it and get it made, but I don't feel like dropping a couple grand on a prototype.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

Only $750

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

Nice. If I made the prototype it could be make them to sell. I think I'd go broke though.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31545 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

Is it really a big concern if you properly flush and backflush?  Don't you have the same concern with the pump?  I've been thinking about a plate chiller and pump or just getting a 50' SS immersion chiller, this might be my deciding factor.  

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

Is it really a big concern if you properly flush and backflush?  Don't you have the same concern with the pump?  I've been thinking about a plate chiller and pump or just getting a 50' SS immersion chiller, this might be my deciding factor.  

For me it is but it could be all in my head.  There are a lot of spaces in there for stuff to get stuck.  I use a lot of hops and feel no matter how I whirlpool or try and strain the hops some will get into it.  As for my pumps, I can and do tear those down to clean and do not have the same worry.  My pumps are also on the hot side not the cold side.  Plates work great for many people, just not for me.  I had a 50' 3/8 copper IM chiller that I used for a long time.  It was modified to work with my kettle seeing I have an element in there.  I was able to get teh full copper CFC for cheap and it works well for my system.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64045 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

I don't ever recall reading about someone attributing an infection issue to their plate chiller.  I could see the need for it if it was one of those common homebrew problems that we just deal with, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

I get crap in my first chiller every time I brew. I know I need to use a grant and a prechill wort filter, but knowing that I could take the chiller apart to really clean it would be worth the peace of mind. I already spend about an hour just cleaning the first chiller. Taking it apart and putting it back together isn't a stretch.

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

I've heard of baking those chillers in the oven cleaning setting to incinerate and sterilize any leftover debris.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

I've heard of baking those chillers in the oven cleaning setting to incinerate and sterilize any leftover debris.

Yeah. Like cleaning an oven. Put a little distilled water in it so it steams out. Dont use hard water - it will leave a residue.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 02 February 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hard to do when it is permanently mounted though.. :)

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

I don't ever recall reading about someone attributing an infection issue to their plate chiller.  I could see the need for it if it was one of those common homebrew problems that we just deal with, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I actually know at least one person locally who had infections issues was isolated to the plate chiller, and when they changed to immersion, the infections went away.

I think I've also seen some posts on HBT, but I can't remember.

I've seen enough to make me hesitate, plus the cost since I'd have to get two to be able to chill to my desired pitch temperature.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Nice. If I made the prototype it could be make them to sell. I think I'd go broke though.

Seems cost-prohibitive for the homebrewer.  A commercial brewer on the other hand...

I know it's not the same thing, but I have a home-made copper pipe and garden hose CFC.  As such, I can't put it in the oven.  I will bring water to a boil and circulate for 15 minutes.  I have a buddy with a plate chiller who back-flushes after every use and will also run the boiling wort through it during the last 10 or 15 minutes of his boil.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64045 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

I actually know at least one person locally who had infections issues was isolated to the plate chiller, and when they changed to immersion, the infections went away.

I think I've also seen some posts on HBT, but I can't remember.

I've seen enough to make me hesitate, plus the cost since I'd have to get two to be able to chill to my desired pitch temperature.

Of course it can happen, but hearing about one or two cases isn't all that compelling to me.  Honestly, it doesn't sound like the local person truly pinpointed it to the chiller either, unless you have more info.  More often than not homebrew infection issues aren't truly isolated.  The fact that you can sterilize the chiller, if necessary, alleviates much of the concern.  If you did truly isolate an infection to the chiller you could just sterilize it.  If it came back, then you'd have to question whether it was really the chiller that was the problem.

#16 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:36 PM

you're right that there could've been more to it. For my friend though, once they removed the plate chiller from their system, their issues went away.

Plus with the number of posts I read on people that try to properly clean the plate chillers with harsh chemicals and after multiple cycles, including baking multiple times, gunk still comes out, it just steers me away from it personally.

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

you're right that there could've been more to it. For my friend though, once they removed the plate chiller from their system, their issues went away.

Plus with the number of posts I read on people that try to properly clean the plate chillers with harsh chemicals and after multiple cycles, including baking multiple times, gunk still comes out, it just steers me away from it personally.

Do you know if your friend ever baked the chiller (that really sounds odd) to sterilize it?  A quality plate chiller that is going to cool your wort is not cheap, and I can't imagine that brewers would be using them if there weren't a way to keep a handle on the problem.  Just out of curiosity, can you find out if he baked it?

Not having a plate chiller, I suppose that if you want to get rid of the gunk, bake it and after it has cooled down, backflush hot water through it to get the (now sterilized) gunk out of it.

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

I don't keep up with the friend anymore. He was always more of an acquaintance, and was brewing with two other guys who all together started a brewery. I can't remember if they tried baking it or not, but they were confident enough that they went back to an immersion chiller after their experience with the plate chiller.

As for the backflushing, I've read of way too many brewers that did repeated cycles, and still kept getting stuff coming out, the flushes and backflushes included NaOH, acid rinse, then baking, etc. 

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

After a brew day starting with a clean plate chiller I back flush the remaining wort. Every other batch I will back flush hot PBW followed by hot water until beer stone flakes are removed. Been doing this since I had the thing new at least 5-6 years ago. I guess I've been lucky. I don't see the big worry. I cleaned my old CFC the same way. A brewer in my club uses boiling water pumped thru his for the last 20+ years and he makes excellent beers.

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

After a brew day starting with a clean plate chiller I back flush the remaining wort. Every other batch I will back flush hot PBW followed by hot water until beer stone flakes are removed. Been doing this since I had the thing new at least 5-6 years ago. I guess I've been lucky. I don't see the big worry. I cleaned my old CFC the same way. A brewer in my club uses boiling water pumped thru his for the last 20+ years and he makes excellent beers.

Is that the one I Nancied out on because of concerns?  Then traded it with you?

I ditched my  diy cfc and have been using a dudadeisel for a few years now.  My only regret is not buying a bigger one.  The end of a brewday is not the time to cut corners.  I flush everything wort hit with hot water, run PBW through it for at least 15 minutes, with a hose switch to back flush.  And rinse.

Brewday everything post boil gets a 140df recirculating flush.  Then a StarSan recirculation.  My last contamination problem was old CO2 hoses that had backwash in them.  Never a problem with the CFC or plate chiller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users