#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

I've always had an aversion to inline O2.  It just seems like its a problem waiting to happen.  Being that it's so easy to oxygenate after the fact has just further kept me away from this.  

After brewing on pro systems Id have to disagree. I would also eliminate two steps. 1) sanitizing and cleaning the stone separate and 2) once in the fermentor I'm ready to pitch. I also will be able to clean a inline stone when Im cleaning the plate. That goes for sanitizing to. Everything gets sanitized and clean at the same time. But you forgot the most important factor. The cool factor!

Edited by BlKtRe, 02 February 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#22 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

After brewing on pro systems Id have to disagree. I would also eliminate two steps. 1) sanitizing and cleaning the stone separate and 2) once in the fermentor I'm ready to pitch. I also will be able to clean a inline stone when Im cleaning the plate. That goes for sanitizing to. Everything gets sanitized and clean at the same time. But you forgot the most important factor. The DORK factor!

#23 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

Everyone knows brewman is the king of dorky.

#24 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

If your going to do it, do it right.

#25 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

There isn't any risk of contamination with inline oxygenation. You clean and sanitize the equipment the same as anything else in the cool line.

#26 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

They have the sightglasses in stock again? I looked the other day and it showed out of stock.

Is the OD of the stone too wide for the ID of the male camlock fitting? The picture in my head looks like it could work as long as the stone is narrow enough.

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

There isn't any risk of contamination with inline oxygenation. You clean and sanitize the equipment the same as anything else in the cool line.

Well, it hides an extremely difficult area to clean. That's what i was referring to. Also, i don't think the stones are fine enough to reject all bacteria. If you get some in the stone (in a naturally oxygen rich environment), it seems like a perfect setup for a bacterial issue.

#28 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

I've oxygenated with the same stone for at least 8 years. I don't see any difference between taking care of a inline stone vs one that's dropped into a fermenter. As I mentioned earlier I am want a cam QD to make removal of the stone easier but until that happens I will just unscrew it. I don't see the issue unless someone doesn't clean properly.

They have the sightglasses in stock again? I looked the other day and it showed out of stock.

Is the OD of the stone too wide for the ID of the male camlock fitting? The picture in my head looks like it could work as long as the stone is narrow enough.

Anywhere from 1-3 weeks out. I called today.I dropped the stone thru the female, it fit but was tight.

Edited by BlKtRe, 02 February 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#29 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

If the stone can fit through the ID of the male, you should be able to use the camlocks for the stone.

#30 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Well, it hides an extremely difficult area to clean. That's what i was referring to. Also, i don't think the stones are fine enough to reject all bacteria. If you get some in the stone (in a naturally oxygen rich environment), it seems like a perfect setup for a bacterial issue.

It is. I take my O2 stone rig apart and soak it in beer line cleaner. Then after I rinse it with hot water I hook it up to CO2 and flush it out. No problems in over a year of use.

I forgot to take apart and flush the line between the O2 bottle and the stone once and it had a ton of nasty shit in it within a week.

Remember though that you must have a moist environment in order for the bacteria and wild yeasts to grow. If it's bone dry then they won't reproduce and colonize.

#31 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Remember though that you must have a moist environment in order for the bacteria and wild yeasts to grow. If it's bone dry then they won't reproduce and colonize.

Which is why I'd like my stone to have a QD installed so it can be easier to remove from a wet environment inside the cross. The cross will also have a QD on it so it can be removed from the plate.

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Which is why I'd like my stone to have a QD installed so it can be easier to remove from a wet environment inside the cross. The cross will also have a QD on it so it can be removed from the plate.

Bingo bango bongo.

#33 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

I've been thinking of building something similar to this for awhile now. Link

#34 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

When I brew at the local pub the sight glass is downstream of the stone. The brewer showed me by watching the bubbles in the site glass he knows how much o2 is going into the wort. In the example you linked to the stone is in the site glass. This would defeat what I was shown at the pub. I know there are different ways to do this. Not sure if there is a right or better way. The parts I listed seems to be close to having it like the pub. Thoughts?

#35 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

Well the one I linked had a compression fitting for the o2 wand, so it can just be slid farther in and be under the tee. Maybe in the pic the guy just had the stone in the view of the sight glass for reference. Another plus would be I can keep using the wand I currently have.
But I agree many ways to do it.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:17 AM

I like that and may have to do something like that minus the sight glass.

#37 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:55 AM

Well the one I linked had a compression fitting for the o2 wand, so it can just be slid farther in and be under the tee. Maybe in the pic the guy just had the stone in the view of the sight glass for reference. Another plus would be I can keep using the wand I currently have.
But I agree many ways to do it.

Ok, I get this. Makes sense. Especially since you already own the air stone setup. I'm still digging on the site glass from Brewhardware because I can use on the RIMS output, MT output while sparging, and after the plate chiller using the cam locks. 

#38 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

Semi-pro tip: turn off the O2 before the fermenter is filled. It's no fun taking off a tri clamp with a load of O2 built up behind it. Wort goes everywhere.

#39 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

Its all put together.

20160226_083533_zpsty4mb1pu.jpg

20160226_083623_zpsq064oh2h.jpg

20160226_083701_zpsf0omjgxy.jpg