49 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

Just make a blonde ale.  Half 2-row, half wheat, a clean hop like Mt. Hood or something at 60 and ½ an ounce of something else (or the same thing) at 5 minutes.  001 or 1469 and you're done.  Boom.

add in 1/2# of caravienne too

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

What about a british blonde ale?… Tweak this for me.

IBU 23

94%MO

13% Red Wheat

6% Light Carastan (C15)

Willamette @60

15g EKG @15 and 5

WY1469

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

IBU 23

94%MO

13% Red Wheat

6% Light Carastan (C15)

Willamette @60

15g EKG @15 and 5

WY1469

What is there to tweak?  Well, if anything I would make it 1.040 but that is just because I have been on a low abv kick. 

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

What is there to tweak?  Well, if anything I would make it 1.040 but that is just because I have been on a low abv kick. 

I guess tweak anything that might be offensive to the average palate. I think MO is an unusual flavor to the average american craft-y drinker. That's one reason I lightened it up a touch with the wheat. The light hand with the EKG's shouldn't set anyone off though, I wouldn't think. I'll keep the 1469 a little bit cooler/cleaner as well.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

I think that will be a fine beer and should be approachable.  If you are worried about the MO then I would cut it with good  old two row.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53981 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

I have one on tap right now that I made with 1028. 2-row, wheat, Mt. Hood early and Liberty late. The MO will give it some oomph and if your target audience will like it, go for it. Otherwise listen to Drez and go with 2-row. You can make some very nice (and convincingly pale and easy drinking) beer with these ingredients and they can satisfy regular lager drinkers nicely. Good luck and HURRY UP!!! YOU ONLY HAVE 2 WEEKS! :P

Yea, yellow fizzy. But what do I know.........

I was agreeing with you!! :P

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

I have one on tap right now that I made with 1028. 2-row, wheat, Mt. Hood early and Liberty late. The MO will give it some oomph and if your target audience will like it, go for it. Otherwise listen to Drez and go with 2-row. You can make some very nice (and convincingly pale and easy drinking) beer with these ingredients and they can satisfy regular lager drinkers nicely. Good luck and HURRY UP!!! YOU ONLY HAVE 2 WEEKS! :P
I was agreeing with you!! :P

I will have a sell job to do with this one but right now I don't really GAF. There are several in this group that think yellow and fizzy= bad beer and/or lager. They need to get over that. And yes I need to get on it! Fresh cropped 1469 and gelatin will be my friends here!

#28 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

I'm on board with the Wheat.  Doesn't need to be clear.  I had 3 weeks to brew one.  When it got down to about 1.015, I transferred to a keg and let it finish out in the keg, naturally carbonating itself on the remaining sugars.  Went over well at the Family Reunion I took it to.  Was German style, not American.  

Otherwise, a Cream Ale can be done in about the same amount of time.  90% 2 Row, 10% Corn.  2 ounces of Mt. Hood at 60 minutes.  US-05.  As simple as it gets, but still good.

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53981 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

I'm on board with the Wheat.  Doesn't need to be clear.  I had 3 weeks to brew one.  When it got down to about 1.015, I transferred to a keg and let it finish out in the keg, naturally carbonating itself on the remaining sugars.  Went over well at the Family Reunion I took it to.  Was German style, not American.  

Otherwise, a Cream Ale can be done in about the same amount of time.  90% 2 Row, 10% Corn.  2 ounces of Mt. Hood at 60 minutes.  US-05.  As simple as it gets, but still good.

Hell, make MLPA or Signature Ale. Both have color, are lower on the hops and will work with 001, 002 or 1469. I know some people who think that any "yellow" beer is no good. HELLO!? Any beer can be any color and any IBU and can be a lager or an ale. Of course, I know people who think that ALL yellow beers are lagers. Since you were strapped with this responsibility, just make what you want and if anyone complains, give them the old 'feck you right in the eye' line. :lol:

#30 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

British Summer ale:
90% Maris Otter
10% Torrified Wheat
25-30 ibu of Challenger for 60
1 oz of Challenger at flameout
OG around 1.040-1.044 fermented on a British yeast

#31 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hell, make MLPA or Signature Ale. Both have color, are lower on the hops and will work with 001, 002 or 1469. I know some people who think that any "yellow" beer is no good. HELLO!? Any beer can be any color and any IBU and can be a lager or an ale. Of course, I know people who think that ALL yellow beers are lagers. Since you were strapped with this responsibility, just make what you want and if anyone complains, give them the old 'feck you right in the eye' line. :lol:

Except he's got a bit of a time constraint... so if he made what he wanted, I'd bet it would be an awfully "green" beer.  Two weeks is pushing the limits.  I think he should just tell the other person who dropped the ball to go to the store and a couple of cases of craft brew... and a variety at that.

That being said... to your point about people who thing all yellow beers are lagers... these are also the same people that think dark beers (like Guiness) are somehow "stronger", which in their mind is "higher in alcohol".  I've grown tired of educating them that is not necessarily the case, and that the grains that provide the dark color and roasty flavor, actually contribute minimal sugars to be fermented, because well... all the sugar has been burned.  Granted, one could certainly make a strong stout (I have a friend who brews everything to be 7% and above, including his stouts), but just because it is dark and "tastes different" doesn't necessarily make it so.  

/end rant

British Summer ale:
90% Maris Otter
10% Torrified Wheat
25-30 ibu of Challenger for 60
1 oz of Challenger at flameout
OG around 1.040-1.044 fermented on a British yeast

Hmmm... sounds good.  

Reminds me of when I made a Fat Tire clone with MO as the base grain (instead of 2 Row with some Biscuit as the recipe called for).  That was one of my more memorable brews.

#32 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10728 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

I'm late to the game here but I've had a lot of luck in the past with a steam beer going over well with everyone.  Easy recipe, limited ingredients and quick turn around.

#33 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

IBU 23

94%MO

13% Red Wheat

6% Light Carastan (C15)

Willamette @60

15g EKG @15 and 5

WY1469

Run with that.  Time frame and crowd - like it.

Am I invited?

B)

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:53 AM

Run with that.  Time frame and crowd - like it.

Am I invited?

B)

Sure, do you ski?  

No… wait, we'll put you in charge of the smoked meat!

I'm late to the game here but I've had a lot of luck in the past with a steam beer going over well with everyone.  Easy recipe, limited ingredients and quick turn around.

Not a bad idea really but I have no NB or the right yeast on hand.

#35 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

IBU 23

94%MO

13% Red Wheat

6% Light Carastan (C15)

Willamette @60

15g EKG @15 and 5

WY1469

Ha. Anyone else notice the glaring error in that recipe? It turned out 82% Crisp MO, 12% Red Wheat and 6% Light Carastan.

Anyhow this finished up at 1.011 and was clear and diacetyl free so I kegged it tonight. If these people don't like it I am not sure what to say. It came out really, really nice. Could have enjoyed a pint straight out of primary. The open primary bucket after racking left a bready-beery stink in my brewing room that was irresistible. Tastes of bread and nuts, and slightly fruity...classic 1469 profile that I have had in the past with a touch of EKG awesomeness not too far in the background. Used here is this batch of 2012 EKGs I have that never seems to end, and I hope it never does. They are really nice and continue to deliver every time I dip into them. 

Edited by neddles, 09 February 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#36 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

Ha. Anyone else notice the glaring error in that recipe? 

Yeah, you accidentally added Wheat to a beer.

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

I know it goes against most current trends but I have been adding a # or two of wheat to most of my recipes these days.  I am only doing it because I have a LOT to use up but I have not noticed any changes to the final beer.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:02 AM

wheat is bad?

#39 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:50 AM

wheat is bad?

Brauer is not likely to brew a beer using wheat, he was being sarcastic.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:06 AM

Brauer is not likely to brew a beer using wheat, he was being sarcastic.

I get that - I was just wondering why he was anti-wheat.  I use small amounts on occasion b/c like drez I have some I'm using up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users