49 replies to this topic

#41 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

Yeah, you accidentally added Wheat to a beer.

Oh yeah? Well…  do you know how I know your beer has no head retention?

:smilielol:

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

Oh yeah? Well…  do you know how I know your beer has no head retention?

well played.

#43 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

Oh yeah? Well… do you know how I know your beer has no head retention?

That's not what your Momma said.*

*She may have said that Carafoam will help head retention without cutting the malt flavor.

Heck, even your math tried to reject the wheat.

Edited by Brauer, 10 February 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#44 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

I get that - I was just wondering why he was anti-wheat. I use small amounts on occasion b/c like drez I have some I'm using up.

I just think that Wheat is a good way to cut malt flavor. Something I would rarely want to do.

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

That's not what your Momma said.*

*She may have said that Carafoam will help head retention without cutting the malt flavor.

Heck, even your math tried to reject the wheat.

LOL.

Actually cutting the malt flavor is pretty much the only way I use wheat.

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

Here it is on day 11. Ready for primetime. Not crystal clear but pretty clear nonetheless. It turned out pretty much exactly as I thought it would. Super easy drinker with light but distinctive malt flavors. Bready but not too much. Hint of nuttiness from the yeast. The Light Carastan doesn't stand out at all (as I kind of expected) but I am sure I'd notice if it suddenly went missing. EKGs are subtle but not present. Best of all the wife loves it... so if no one else there cares for it I will have pleased the most hard to please palette and the one that matters most. I can definitely see myself making this again. Thanks to all who responded and help me put this together.

YfQIABHl.jpg?1

Edited by neddles, 16 February 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#47 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:54 AM

Wow, that was FAST! That looks pretty damn nice for an 11-day-old beer. My keg of this type of beer just kicked in the past week and I may make another one but I don't have any more English ale yeast so I would have to pick some up. Good luck with your event/gathering and make sure you soak up all the appreciation that should be coming your way for all the brewing you did. Cheers and nice work.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

Wow, that was FAST! That looks pretty damn nice for an 11-day-old beer. My keg of this type of beer just kicked in the past week and I may make another one but I don't have any more English ale yeast so I would have to pick some up. Good luck with your event/gathering and make sure you soak up all the appreciation that should be coming your way for all the brewing you did. Cheers and nice work.

I'm thinking if I wanted to I could nearly pull off something similar with the bitter galaxy I just brewed if I wasn't planning on dry hopping it.

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

Thanks Ken!

I'm thinking if I wanted to I could nearly pull off something similar with the bitter galaxy I just brewed if I wasn't planning on dry hopping it.

You definitely could.

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53971 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

It's not the type of thing I do often but it's nice to know you can get that kind of turn-around. When my wife and I had a party last Labor Day, I was brewing like crazy leading up to it because my supply was pretty low. That party featured a "Mexican Amber Lager" that I put outside on the patio in a keg with a cobra tap and CO2 tank as well as a number of beers I had downstairs in the bar that were all made within about 30 days of the party. The Mexican lager didn't really have the chance to "lager" but I did gel it so it was clear and it was very good for a young lager. That keg was floating within about 3 hours of the party starting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users