Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Do any of you use glycerin filled pressure gauges?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

I've been thinking of replacing some of my gauges due to age, corrosion, and dents/damage. I found some cheap grade b dry gauges for around $8, but I'm wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to Grade A (accuracy 1.5%) glycerin filled gauges. The only thing is I've got a lot of gauges, so I may try one or two at first, and see how I like them. I'd appreciate any input though!

This is the one I am looking at: https://www.amazon.c...D3CRV8834A1XJFD

I like it because of the accuracy, as well as the stainless casing. I also found some plastic cased ones that are 1.6% accurate, and Amazon sells a 10 pack for just over $100 dollars, which would cover most of the gauges I need to change out, I just don't know how durable the plastic casing would be. I tend to think the stainless case is worth the $4 extra dollars per gauge if I am going to go this route anyway.

This is the link to the 10 pack of the ABS: https://www.amazon.c...m_cd_al_qh_dp_t

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

When I was a mechanic, I bought a couple for my AC gauge set because the high pressure side would shake the needle erratically making it hard to read. The glycerin dampened the vibration. That's the only reason I would buy filled over dry. Over the years my glycerin has slowly seeped and collected dirt/grime and had discolored. My gauges look like crap.

Edited by chils, 04 February 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

Hmmmmm, I definitely wouldn't want them to leak.

I liked that they were supposed to help lubricate and prevent corrosion, because I have had issues with corrosion in the past on the gauges on secondary regulators in my keezer at the time.

I may just get one or two of the stainless to start with, and see how those go then. I definitely want the accuracy, as I think some of my gauges are off. I was actually thinking of building a small gadget to compare gauges and see which ones were more off than others (a stainless Tee with a ball lock gas fitting on one end, and a gauge on each of the other sides to compare, maybe even a cross to compare three gauges at a time).

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:27 AM

One of my gauges is filled and that is just because we had it on hand to replace the broken one. I don't really see the need since the needles should not really be bouncing around.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

another option

https://www.ritebrew...ct-p/843638.htm

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

Here is a good dry gauge. It has a screw to let you zero it instead of a peg at zero. Much more accurate over the long haul.

https://www.amazon.c...ion-and-details

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:34 AM

Here is a good dry gauge. It has a screw to let you zero it instead of a peg at zero. Much more accurate over the long haul.

https://www.amazon.c...ion-and-details

only pain for that one may be how it mounts, back center.  I do like the adjustment option though.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

only pain for that one may be how it mounts, back center.  I do like the adjustment option though.

Whoops, missed the mounting on that. It's their P9S series. Think this is the correct one. 1/4 npt bottom mount. Check thread size to your regulator though.

https://www.amazon.c...ssure Gauge p9s

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:47 AM

Whoops, missed the mounting on that. It's their P9S series. Think this is the correct one. 1/4 npt bottom mount. Check thread size to your regulator though.

are you trying to spend my money?

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:50 AM

are you trying to spend my money?

Heh, heh. Dooo eeet!

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

Heh, heh. Dooo eeet!

After getting 2 new fermenters yesterday I better lay low for a few weeks ;)

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

what did you get?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:36 AM

what did you get?

2 more of the SS bucket ones I posted before.  one more 7 and one 14.  I will modify them to accept tri-clamp fittings and have a thermowell.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

I don't want glycerin in my beer! 

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

I plan on purchasing a 14g. Wish it was 15g but I will take it and silver solder the TC fitting like you did so I can continue to use my sanke caps.

With that said, filled gauges are cool but not necessary. Just like a lot of my brew gear. Cool factor ya know!

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

I plan on purchasing a 14g. Wish it was 15g but I will take it and silver solder the TC fitting like you did so I can continue to use my sanke caps.

With that said, filled gauges are cool but not necessary. Just like a lot of my brew gear. Cool factor ya know!

I think it was a 1" conduit knockout punch worked perfect for the hole, I will double check though.

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

I think it was a 1" conduit knockout punch worked perfect for the hole, I will double check though.

Good to know, thanks.

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

That is definitely an interesting option, I've never had a pressure gauge that I could reset. Its accuracy is only a bit less than that of the glycerin filled one. What I may do is get two of each, and do some tests/comparisons, then go from there.

Thanks for the links!

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Well, I decided to go ahead and get one of each. I will build a little test setup, but I won't use a ball lock connector, I'm just going to use my John Guest fittings and connect it directly to one of my gas lines, varying the pressure, and checking it against the gauge that is on the regulator itself.

#20 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

2 more of the SS bucket ones I posted before.  one more 7 and one 14.  I will modify them to accept tri-clamp fittings and have a thermowell.

link?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users