14 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

Along with cleaning 5 kegs I made the British Blonde Ale from my other thread yesterday. I kegged a classic APA modeled after the one Brauer mentioned in another thread and I am kegging a Red IPA tonight. Those 3 beers are all going to the same event so I actually need to start working on another beer for my own fridge. 

So what is everyone else working on?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54009 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Nice. I hope the British Blonde comes out nicely for your gathering. I have been planning a beer for awhile and it looks like Sunday morning I will make it. A Czech Amber Lager with 55% Malteurop 2-row and 45% RedX. Magnum to bitter and then some Tettnanger along with three ounces of late Saaz. 2124 Beer Heaven® for the yeast. Cheers Beerheads.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

Dry stout on Monday 2-8 for St. Patty's Day.

This iteration will use Weyermann Munich for the base malt, plus with roasted and flaked barley.  Magnum to bitter and then some EKG for a post-boil hopstand.

US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary; would use 1084 but  have none on hand at the moment.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

I need to keg a dunkel and my house APA. I hope to brew something. So far I have it narrowed down to a milk stout, helles or Amarillo blonde.

#5 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

Kegging a winter ale tomorrow and brewing a English Brown.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

I'm cleaning and reorganizing my brew room. Changing out brass QD'S for cams, and starting the bump up on my Dunkel.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Very slowly brewing DCRIPA.

#8 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

The recent Pale Ale malt bill discussion got me thinking that I wanted to make a Pale Ale. The Summit discussion reminded me that I had an old bag of Summit in the back of the fridge. I broke the vacuum seal and it smelled delicious. I made a 1.048 Pale ale with GW Pale Ale Malt and a couple ounces of Light Carastan. Added a tiny charge of Summit to bitter and added roughly the equivalent of an ounce each of Summit and Cascade at 5' and for 30' in the whirlpool. Fermenting now with West Yorkshire yeast at 66F.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

The recent Pale Ale malt bill discussion got me thinking that I wanted to make a Pale Ale. The Summit discussion reminded me that I had an old bag of Summit in the back of the fridge. I broke the vacuum seal and it smelled delicious. I made a 1.048 Pale ale with GW Pale Ale Malt and a couple ounces of Light Carastan. Added a tiny charge of Summit to bitter and added roughly the equivalent of an ounce each of Summit and Cascade at 5' and for 30' in the whirlpool. Fermenting now with West Yorkshire yeast at 66F.

Sounds nice. Update us on how that Summit comes across.

As a side note. I went to top crop some 1469 off of my British Blonde last night and it apparently fell into the beer. 1469 notoriously floats on top forever but for some reason not this time. Curious as to why.

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

I'll be digging for onions, but it smelled fresh and fruity.

As a side note. I went to top crop some 1469 off of my British Blonde last night and it apparently fell into the beer. 1469 notoriously floats on top forever but for some reason not this time. Curious as to why.

I think mine has also dropped more completely and sooner, through the generations.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

I think mine has also dropped more completely and sooner, through the generations.

That's good to know. I typically only use a yeast once or twice. This is the third time with this one.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:18 AM

I had a glass of this yesterday. The hop flavor is dominated by bright, juicy tangerine. There is a little earthiness in the background, but nothing overwhelming. It isn't obviously onion, but perhaps someone might perceive it that way. That could have come from the Cascades, which were from an earthy batch, or from the yeast that hasn't fully dropped. I probably won't get this on for a couple weeks, but I'll update if it changes when it is more carbed and clear. I'm looking forward to this, it should be refreshing.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the update. Should turn out to be quite nice. It's funny with hops and how their flavors come across… I think a lot of the flavor differences you hear reported about a hops like Summit might come from people simply not all perceiving things the same way. But other times it's probably poor harvest or other means of agricultural variability. Or, just the expected variation from us using such a small quantity in our batch sizes. You never really know sometimes. 

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

All those things probably play a role. Maybe some effect of the different ways we choose to use the hops, and, perhaps, a little bit of a mind worm, where there might be a bit of a difficult-to-pin-down flavor, until someone calls it "onion", then you can't get that idea out of your head. Not to say it isn't a real thing, but I think I'll be pretty happy with this beer.

#15 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

If I can get my Barley Crusher working I hope to do some sort of Hoppe Red Rye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users