#21 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

I have always milled the tiny rye malt separately, I just run it through my mill set normal, twice.

It was explained to me long ago that the high protein content of Rye, or wheat needs a very high lauter temp to keep it as viscous as possible so it doesn't gel.  

That was probably the likely culprit right there. I think my mash temp was too low when I sparged. Because the mash tun was maxed out I had to mash thick too so I couldn't mash out (I usually don't) to raise the temp if I wanted to. 

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

That was probably the likely culprit right there. I think my mash temp was too low when I sparged. Because the mash tun was maxed out I had to mash thick too so I couldn't mash out (I usually don't) to raise the temp if I wanted to. 

that could do it

I usually don't mash out, unless I am using Rye or Wheat

#23 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

You know I'd have your beer baby if it was anatomically possible.

Cheers! :cheers:

I'd pay Cash Money to see that

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

that could do it

I usually don't mash out, unless I am using Rye or Wheat

so was his problem with draining the mash or was it during the sparge?  it's a little unclear to me from the OP.

I usually sparge with pretty hot water to make sure everything "gets loose" (just like your mother, trebek!).  I very rarely if ever do mash outs anymore and don't generally have run-off problems unless I'm doing something that's half wheat and I'm not using rice hulls.  but even then it's just slow, not stuck.

#25 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

so was his problem with draining the mash or was it during the sparge?  it's a little unclear to me from the OP.

I usually sparge with pretty hot water to make sure everything "gets loose" (just like your mother, trebek!).  I very rarely if ever do mash outs anymore and don't generally have run-off problems unless I'm doing something that's half wheat and I'm not using rice hulls.  but even then it's just slow, not stuck.

OK, the mash tun was filled to the brim. There was no room to mash out and by the time I made room to sparge it had already stuck. I ended up draining the tun 5 gallons at a time, adding hot sparge water, stirring it up again, settling, and draining 5 more gallons. By the time I collected 5 gallons it was down to a trickle every time. I was adding 185 deg sparge water each time, but it's not enough to really raise the temp of the mash 5 gallons at a time, hence all the sticking.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

OK, the mash tun was filled to the brim. There was no room to mash out and by the time I made room to sparge it had already stuck. I ended up draining the tun 5 gallons at a time, adding hot sparge water, stirring it up again, settling, and draining 5 more gallons. By the time I collected 5 gallons it was down to a trickle every time. I was adding 185 deg sparge water each time, but it's not enough to really raise the temp of the mash 5 gallons at a time, hence all the sticking.

sounds like you were ready for a decoction :lol:

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

sounds like you were ready for a decoction :lol:

I really don't enjoy masochism.

#28 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Sooooooo, exactly how stuck was the sparge?

How about, it was so stuck that the suction from the pump BENT the stainless 1/16" thick formed false bottom backwards.  :wacko:

We managed to pound it back in shape with a rubber mallet. I'm gonna have to mash thicker next time and mash out, plus add a hell of a lot more rice hulls.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Sooooooo, exactly how stuck was the sparge?

How about, it was so stuck that the suction from the pump BENT the stainless 1/16" thick formed false bottom backwards.  :wacko:

We managed to pound it back in shape with a rubber mallet. I'm gonna have to mash thicker next time and mash out, plus add a hell of a lot more rice hulls.

can you use some SS screws or bolts to help support it from the bottom?

#30 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

can you use some SS screws or bolts to help support it from the bottom?

No need really. This is the first time in 2 years it's done that.

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK.

I had to put a heater in the fridge with the beer. I set the fridge to 66 and the heater to 66. My FIL just called and said the temp in the fermenter was 78!!!! FECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fridge is on a controller and the probe is in the beer. The heater is in the fridge and the probe is in the air. This is a single door fridge. The heater barely fits inside. So what I think happened is the heater is close to the fermenter and was heating the metal. But, it would cycle when the air temp got down to 66. Since it's not being controlled by the beer temp, it just cycled and cycled and cycled and heat up the beer/metal and the fridge was not able to keep up.

So now I get to find out what 1450 does at 78 degrees. I'm really not happy. I'm ready to throw this monitor across the fecking room.

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:30 PM

FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK.

I had to put a heater in the fridge with the beer. I set the fridge to 66 and the heater to 66. My FIL just called and said the temp in the fermenter was 78!!!! FECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fridge is on a controller and the probe is in the beer. The heater is in the fridge and the probe is in the air. This is a single door fridge. The heater barely fits inside. So what I think happened is the heater is close to the fermenter and was heating the metal. But, it would cycle when the air temp got down to 66. Since it's not being controlled by the beer temp, it just cycled and cycled and cycled and heat up the beer/metal and the fridge was not able to keep up.

So now I get to find out what 1450 does at 78 degrees. I'm really not happy. I'm ready to throw this monitor across the fecking room.

What was the temperature for the first 48 hrs. of fermentation. 78F doesn't really bother me if it was later in the fermentation.

#33 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

What was the temperature for the first 48 hrs. of fermentation. 78F doesn't really bother me if it was later in the fermentation.

Pitched Sunday night @ 50 deg. Monday night it was 62 deg. This afternoon 78 deg. I'm trying to get it back to about 70, but I'm afraid if I do to much reeling in I could stall it out.

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

When did fermentation really get started? Why did you pitch Denny's yeast at 50F? This is RIPA yes?

#35 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

When did fermentation really get started? Why did you pitch Denny's yeast at 50F? This is RIPA yes?

It was just starting to off gas Monday night.

Pitched at 50 because the chilling water was cold and I did an extended hop stand between 200 and 150 degrees. One chiller wouldn't have been enough, and I pretty much get 50 degree wort every time I use both chillers. I tried to go as fast as possible with the wort through the chillers to retain some heat, but the damn things are efficient.

Pitching low should matter much, the differential between the yeast and the wort was only about 2 degrees.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

No pitching low won't really matter that much I wouldn't think. If the bulk of fermentation was done before you got into the 70's I think it will be fine.

Edited by neddles, 10 February 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#37 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

No pitching low won't really matter that much I wouldn't think. If the bulk of fermentation was done before you got into the 70's I think it will be fine.

Certainly not the bulk of fermentation, maybe the bulk of the growth stage. I'm not too happy about it though.

#38 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

FIL said that Tues night it was 66. So most of the growth stage was done before it got hot. I just hope I didn't stall out the fermentation by lowering the temp to 70.

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

FIL said that Tues night it was 66. So most of the growth stage was done before it got hot. I just hope I didn't stall out the fermentation by lowering the temp to 70.

Doubt it.

#40 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Doubt it.

I was noticeably slower. I know, I know, I know, I'm a worry wort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users