#1 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

It doesn't seem to matter how much money I spend, they are all crap. They leak air at the top joint, they leak beer at the valve, the valve sticks open, etc.I keg 95% of the homebrew I make, but I need to bottle once in awhile. What do you use, and how do you like it?

#2 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14962 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have one of those simple spring-loaded plastic ones. Always done me right, although I didn't put the end on tight enough once and it leaked a lot. Are you filling from a keg, or priming and letting it bottle condition?

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

I've got the big pimpin mac daddy stainless bottle filler with the valve at the top. It works pretty well. It will still dribble a little bit while you're changing bottles but it works better than the plastic one that I used to use.

#4 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26158 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

I agree they are all crap. Here's what I've been doing for those batches that I do bottle...I keg. I will rack the beer to the keg with a measure of priming sugar at the bottom of the keg, then I purge the keg with CO2 a couple times, shake the keg a bit to mix in the priming sugar in real good, and then add just enough CO2 to the keg to push the beer into bottle. I use a cobra tap with a piece of hose slipped over the tap that is just long enough to reach to the bottle of the keg to bottle. It takes a bit to figure out the fill level, but it has worked well for me and I see minimal negative O2 effects at 1+ years since I started doing this.Hope that helps

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

When I'm filling from a keg, I use a trick I learned from MrBeer/Trub - just jam a short piece of racking cane into the cobra tap and fill like that. It works pretty good, no where near as good as a counter-pressure deal, but good enough for the rare times I need to take some beer with me.The only time I'm really filling bottles is when I'm bottling a batch for my brother or something. Then it bottle conditions.The only other time I'm filling bottles is when I'm doing a huge batch of mead. The cash flow doesn't justify a commercial bottle filler at this point, so I just did the usual homebrew siphon and bottle filler route for 4 hours. For that ordeal, I just bought 3 crappy bottle fillers and pitched them as they became difficult. :lol:

#6 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Is your mead mostly carbonated or still?

#7 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

I've got the big pimpin mac daddy stainless bottle filler with the valve at the top. It works pretty well. It will still dribble a little bit while you're changing bottles but it works better than the plastic one that I used to use.

Is that the one made my Lisser... uh, Listin...., damn, can't remember the dude's name....I went through two of those before declaring them crap too, just expensive crap. Mine leaked air into the valve at the top, meaning that when filling, it aerated the finished product nicely (:lol:), and when not filling, it leaked badly.Maybe it's me.

#8 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Is your mead mostly carbonated or still?

All still.

#9 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

When I'm filling from a keg, I use a trick I learned from MrBeer/Trub - just jam a short piece of racking cane into the cobra tap and fill like that. It works pretty good, no where near as good as a counter-pressure deal, but good enough for the rare times I need to take some beer with me.The only time I'm really filling bottles is when I'm bottling a batch for my brother or something. Then it bottle conditions.The only other time I'm filling bottles is when I'm doing a huge batch of mead. The cash flow doesn't justify a commercial bottle filler at this point, so I just did the usual homebrew siphon and bottle filler route for 4 hours. For that ordeal, I just bought 3 crappy bottle fillers and pitched them as they became difficult. :lol:

I would still rack it into a keg. But, instead of force carbing it, get a picnic tap with 6-8 foot hose and use the co2 pressure to fill the bottles right from the flat keg. Carbtabs/carbonation drops work very well for this if you're only bottling a few. You can batch prime by adding the bottling sugar solution to the keg before you fill it if you intend to bottle the whole batch.I like this method since I hate bottling wands, bottling buckets and depending on gravity to move the beer.

#10 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

All still.

I'd just use a bottling bucket, then, with some hose on the end of the tap so that it doesn't splash into the bottle.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Is that the one made my Lisser... uh, Listin...., damn, can't remember the dude's name....I went through two of those before declaring them crap too, just expensive crap. Mine leaked air into the valve at the top, meaning that when filling, it aerated the finished product nicely (:lol:), and when not filling, it leaked badly.Maybe it's me.

I don't remember where I got it. I just looked at NB and B3 and didn't see it at either of those places. 99% of what I don't buy locally comes from one of those two places so I have no idea where I got it. My only complaint is that I left it in a tray of StarSan one time and it turned the steel black on one side. Didn't affect its operation.

#12 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

I have the SS Lister one as well. The first one I had leaked air badly. It ruined the first BW I ever made, basically the thing was horribly oxidized within a few months. If you are going from the keg to bottle you can go about it two ways. 1. Get a beer gun, it is simple and probably the best Gadget money I've spent homebrewing or 2. You can put a racking cane directly into the nozzle of a cobra tap. Both ways have worked well for me, the biggest advantage is being able to purge the bottle with CO2 from a beer gun.Mashman

#13 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19200 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

I've got a big stainless version and no crap on it. I just use the bottling bucket spigot. When I pull it out, there just enough headspace. I rarely bottle from a bucket though. I think it's just easier to go from a keg with BeerGun, even if it's not carbonated.

#14 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

How much do these Beerguns run?

#15 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19200 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Like $70. Comes down to how much you bottle. Can be a time savings.

#16 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Dont get me started on the BG! That little black thing....Anyways, I like my BG. I use to bottle and to sanitize bottles. It acts like one of those push sprayers on bottle trees only better. The BG gets a little bit used too, but in the end I like it. I just have a love/hate relationship with the black thing.

#17 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19200 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

LOL.I LOATH bottling, and the BG seems to be the best thing going in the least painful department. Obviously it ain't perfect easy enough to clean/sanitize and gets the job done.

#18 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Dont get me started on the BG! That little black thing....Anyways, I like my BG. I use to bottle and to sanitize bottles. It acts like one of those push sprayers on bottle trees only better. The BG gets a little bit used too, but in the end I like it. I just have a love/hate relationship with the black thing.

I think you have fat fingers, I've still never had a problem with it...

#19 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

That little black thing is cheap, but very easy to lose when you most need it. :lol: Mashman

#20 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

I still use the cheap plastic spring loaded bottle filler as well. It's not perfect by any means, but I only bottle maybe 1-2 batches per year (keg rest) so I deal with it.In other news, I've got a Beer Gun. I've used it a total of once. It's not that it doesn't work, I just rarely bottle my beer...and when I do I find it just as easy to bottle it the old fashioned way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users