#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

My last few beers have consistently landed about 0.2 lower than predicted.  I guess I should just take this offset into account when I'm figuring out my water additions.

I'm not sure if it's the lactic, the brewing salts, or something else where the calculation is deviating from reality for me but I guess at least I know now.  These low pH beers have been good though so it's not a big deal.  I'll just shoot for 5.5 in brewing water from now on and see where that gets me.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:33 AM

Are you using a pH meter now?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:35 AM

My last several small beers have all been BIAB and my pH predictions have been off.  I was low on one before I even added the lactic that Bru'n Water indicated.  For me I feel it is a particular base malt I am using because I think the Dunkel that did not use that malt was just about spot on.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

Are you using a pH meter now?

no - colorpHast strips.

I've been using these for a while so even if they aren't spot on I'm assuming that the relative comparisons are still valid.  I guess the lactic acid is likely the issue b/c I only recently starting using it and before I would end up about where bru'n water predicted according to the strips.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 February 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

Could be some small change in your source water... more sulfate or chloride, less bicarb, etc. I don't think it would take much to lower the pH by 0.2. It could also be a grain fluctuation. For awhile there was talk that Rahr Pale Ale malt seems to drive pH down more than predicted and even Martin said to make a 0.3 adjustment when using that malt. I have two words for you: METER. Oh, wait.  :blink:

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:49 AM

Could be some small change in your source water... more sulfate or chloride, less bicarb, etc. I don't think it would take much to lower the pH by 0.2. It could also be a grain fluctuation. For awhile there was talk that Rahr Pale Ale malt seems to drive pH down more than predicted and even Martin said to make a 0.3 adjustment when using that malt. I have two words for you: METER. Oh, wait.  :blink:

this is over a variety of grains.  today I was using GP which I haven't used in some time.  last time was CMC pale ale.  other times it was pils/munich.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users