#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

Now I know there's some questions about whether you need to aerate when you are using dry yeast, but do you need to aerate when making a cider or wine with dry yeast?

I've never made it before, a friend wants to make cider and I'm giving them a very basic "how to".

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

I have never aerated cider or mead.  Some do with mead owing to its high gravities, I've just never seen the need.

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

I made a batch of hard cider yesterday, and with all previous batches, I don't aerate for cider (such as using my beer aeration stone/wand setup).

I ferment in a Better Bottle, and I used a wide-mouth funnel to pour the apple juice into the BB.

I figure with the splashing (and there was a lot of splashing), any aeration I needed was done just by pouring the juice into the BB.

I also used dry Montrachet yeast; i don't know if it needs aeration or not, but it seems to do well regardless.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, this is 5 people confirming so i think I told my friend the right info.

#5 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hell no, cider does not need aeration.  Wort needs to be aerated because you have to boil the snot out of it.  Apple juice on the other hand has all sorts of oxygen naturally in the juice.  If you did something crazy like boiling it for an hour then I'd aerate.  But, please don't do that.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

Hell no, cider does not need aeration.  Wort needs to be aerated because you have to boil the snot out of it.  Apple juice on the other hand has all sorts of oxygen naturally in the juice.  If you did something crazy like boiling it for an hour then I'd aerate.  But, please don't do that.

if he's making cider from something like storebought canned juice i'd aerate

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

Now I know there's some questions about whether you need to aerate when you are using dry yeast, but do you need to aerate when making a cider or wine with dry yeast?

I've never made it before, a friend wants to make cider and I'm giving them a very basic "how to".

AFAIAC, you should never need aeration with any dry yeast unless you underpitch it.  Aeration is about cell growth and in general dry yeast has so many cells that no growth is needed.

You don't need aeration because the cell count in dry yeast is so high.

Edited by denny, 31 March 2016 - 11:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users