#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:18 AM

Brewing this one today for a BBQ in June. I've done it with corn, rice and a mix of the two. Today will be all Rahr pils. Amylase enzyme in primary dries it out to 1.001-1.000 well. Also trying S-189 yeast for the first time.

7gal 1.032-1.001
12 IBU
2 SRM
3.5G CaCl2 mash/sparge
1.5 tsp phos acid sparge
140/155F mash 30/30mins

7.5lbs Pils
4 oz Acid malt

.25 oz CTZ 60

S-189 yeast

ejRrEKZ.jpg
qjRndwz.jpg

Edited by chils, 08 March 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:46 AM

any reason for phosphoric acid vs lactic acid?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:09 AM

So would this be like Miller Lite as a commercial example , not triple hopped of course :).  What would your FG be with out the Amylase enzyme addition?

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:19 AM

Man that is some light beer. I forgot how light light beer is.

That looks like a Tyranena beer glass. Do you get Tyranena down there?

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

any reason for phosphoric acid vs lactic acid?

I use acid malt in the mash, phosphoric in the sparge to lessen the risk of a possible flavor addition from the lactic.

So would this be like Miller Lite as a commercial example , not triple hopped of course :).  What would your FG be with out the Amylase enzyme addition?

It's tastes very similar to ML with 1lb of corn starch or flaked corn subbed for pils. It is actually quite a bit lighter in color than ML when using corn starch. I'm not sure on the FG w/o AE. I targeted ML for the recipe. I think I hit 4.2% ABV after fermentation.

Man that is some light beer. I forgot how light light beer is.

That looks like a Tyranena beer glass. Do you get Tyranena down there?

Lighter in color than BL or ML. I think that batch was 6lb pils, 1lb corn starch, .5lb instant rice.
I found the Tyranena glass in a flea mkt. It's a perfect nonic--a bit skinnier than most. I think it's 16oz. We don't get their beer here though and I've never had it.

Edited by chils, 08 March 2016 - 06:53 AM.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

I found the Tyranena glass in a flea mkt. It's a perfect nonic--a bit skinnier than most. I think it's 16oz. We don't get their beer here though and I've never had it.

Cool. It's not bad beer but nothing I would seek out, personally. Was going to be surprised if they were distributed all the way down there. 

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:11 AM

Cool. It's not bad beer but nothing I would seek out, personally. Was going to be surprised if they were distributed all the way down there.

Arkansas' distribution sucks. We are pretty limited on beer and just started getting Lagunitas. I have to go across the AR/MO state line (MO side) to get a wider selection.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Breaking in a new pH meter as my old one has been down for over a year. I bought the same meter as before except this one has ATC. 98107 old vs 98108 this one. So far as predicted on pH. 140F beta rest 5.2, this is 155F alpha rest after 6qts water and .5tsp phosphoric acid added.

V14GuM4.jpg

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

Sparge. Added 5.5gals of RO, 3.5 CaCl2, 2tsp 10% Phos acid. pH 5.4.

OU86okr.jpg

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

That's right around where I shoot too... 5.2 to 5.3 in the mash and I try to get my high-bicarb sparge water to about 5.5 before I heat it and add it to the MT. My sparge pH ends up around 5.4 typically. Are you going to shoot for a certain kettle pH or just let it ride?

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:18 AM

That's right around where I shoot too... 5.2 to 5.3 in the mash and I try to get my high-bicarb sparge water to about 5.5 before I heat it and add it to the MT. My sparge pH ends up around 5.4 typically. Are you going to shoot for a certain kettle pH or just let it ride?

I usually let her ride. Most of my lagers end up with finished beer pH in the low 4s. I think my kettlepH is usually ~ 5.1 ish.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

What are you using for amylase?

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:57 PM

What are you using for amylase?

https://www.homebrew...-oz_p_1081.html

Edited by chils, 03 June 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

I tried many years ago using liquid Beano on a light honey ale, dropped my gravity from 1.045 to. 995.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:33 AM

I have to say that for all the lighter styles I like, I don't think I've made anything quite this light. I will occasionally make something between 4.5 and 5%, between 20-25 IBUs, pils, flaked corn, noble hops, etc. I picked up a White Labs packet of WLP840 American Lager yeast (possibly Miller's yeast?) and plan to brew with it and make some very pale, clean and refreshing lagers. But I seem to still like some amount of Vienna or Munich in there.

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

Ken, I targeted ML's ABV of 4.2% for the original recipe with adjunct and a FG near 1.000-01. It tasted really close but also had that corny flavor that took away from the malt sweetness.

I was surprised at how much malt comes thru with just plain 100% domestic pils on this batch and probably won't use adjunct again. This one tastes similar to Coors banquet which I really like for a macro pils.

The guy I brewed it for is a ML drinker. I bottled 2 12ozers off the keg for him and he was very happy with the outcome.

Edited by chils, 04 June 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#17 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Damn, that is beautiful

Had to look up S-189 - how do you like it? 

I'm a big fan of 34/70, but willing to try something else if it's legit

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

Damn, that is beautiful

Had to look up S-189 - how do you like it?

I'm a big fan of 34/70, but willing to try something else if it's legit

This is the first of 3 beers on that yeast. The other 2 are a hoppy German pils and the Vienna Tmave.

Light beer: Slight body and malt sweetness. Unpossible from 1.036 to 1.005 but somehow it pulled it off.
HGP: Good malt but may have muted the hops somewhat or this batch of Spalt Sel isn't as flavorful. Still good tho.
VT: Daaaamn. Sofa King good. This beer is gonna be nice after lagering.

Overall impression: clean yeast character--not as noticeable as 34/70, leaves good malt flavor, 72% attn, best for malty beers. Made the best light beer I've had--commercial or homebrew.

Edited by chils, 07 June 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#19 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:42 AM

This one got killed Friday night when I took the remaining 1/2 keg to a get together with 2 of my buddies and their wives. I had jumpered it to get it off the sediment for travel and it was crystal clear. I'm gonna try to rebrew it on tuesday if I can free up my wine fridge from my HGP.  I'm not changing a thing, tastes like a lighter bodied Coors Banquet. One of my friends is a straight ML drinker and he was chugging it down. I highly recommend this recipe for any summer get together.

I had the keg in a round 5 gal cooler with the lid off and ice packed around the sides. My lines are icemaker tubing. The sun was skunking the beer in the line. I had to cover the line with a towel to stop it.

CYeF2gc.jpg

Edited by chils, 10 July 2016 - 03:49 AM.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:02 AM

sounds like an awesome time!

I have to admit though - if I wanted something as light bodied as that I might just buy a case of coors light or something similar.  it's so damn cheap to buy and easy to mess up as a homebrewer.  but it's also cool to see if you could do it so well done there :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users