Photo
- - - - -

Made my starter for 2352 Munich Lager 2 today...

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

Made a 2L starter and got it on the stirplate this afternoon. I have 3 or 4 beers slated for this yeast which is supposed to be Augustiner's yeast. I have my helles and dunkel recipes in the bullpen and they will probably come into the game at some point. Beer #1 will be this Festbier (I know I mentioned this elsewhere) that a German guy in our FB German Brewing Group described. He said that all you need is 50% pils, 50% Munich II (the 9-12 stuff) and enough hops at 60 to get to 25-27 IBUs and a suitable yeast. So it's going to be Weyermann Pils, Avangard Munich 2, about .45 ounces of Magnum 13.1% and the 2352. Other recipes slated for this yeast include a Pale Bock (lots of Munich & Vienna, water tailored to be MALTY and Hallertau) and also a version of Jamil's Vienna Lager. So technically that's 5 batches but one of these may not make it. I know I mentioned making a pale steam beer this weekend but that would have to be NEXT weekend since this West Coast Lager I made with 2112 was just made last Saturday and needs more time. So the Festbier will probably get brewed on Saturday or Sunday depending on when this starter gets active. Cheers.

Ps. Neddles... what are you making with the 2352?

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

Still waiting for the KL IPA ;)

those sound good though

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

Village Taphouse, on 10 Mar 2016 - 8:22 PM, said:

Ps. Neddles... what are you making with the 2352?

Made a Helles on Tuesday.
hr3EdCcl.jpg

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

Made a Helles on Tuesday.

Good stuff. I do have a helles in primary (6th use of 2124) and it smells great. My starter of 2352 already has a nice 1cm ring of foam on top so I imagine I will be brewing this Festbier on Saturday if the calendar cooperates. Btw, remember the pilsner I made with Weyermann Pils that came out kind of "dirty"? I still have a good amount of that malt left and I'm going to determine if it was the malt or something else on this batch... 5 lbs of that Weyermann Pils + 5 lbs of Munich 2. If this Festbier has that character, I would have to be suspicious of this particular bag of pilsner malt.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

Ken- I'm interested to see how you would compare it to 2308

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

Good stuff. I do have a helles in primary (6th use of 2124) and it smells great. My starter of 2352 already has a nice 1cm ring of foam on top so I imagine I will be brewing this Festbier on Saturday if the calendar cooperates. Btw, remember the pilsner I made with Weyermann Pils that came out kind of "dirty"? I still have a good amount of that malt left and I'm going to determine if it was the malt or something else on this batch... 5 lbs of that Weyermann Pils + 5 lbs of Munich 2. If this Festbier has that character, I would have to be suspicious of this particular bag of pilsner malt.

The starter I made with the 2352 was 1.037 second runnings from a oatmeal stout I made a while back. I'm not going to lie, the decanted beer actually tasted quite nice. I have high hopes for this yeast.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

Ken- I'm interested to see how you would compare it to 2308

I expect it to be pretty similar based on the fact that Wyeast called it MUNICH LAGER 2. I don't expect it to be exactly the same but I expect it to be very close.

The starter I made with the 2352 was 1.037 second runnings from a oatmeal stout I made a while back. I'm not going to lie, the decanted beer actually tasted quite nice. I have high hopes for this yeast.

That's encouraging. I went down to my brew bunker around 6am today and took a big whiff of the starter as it was spinning. I got some very nice bready character with (what I would describe as) a sort of pie-crust thing. Tough to describe but I seem to pick up something very similar to 2308 and yet slightly different. I'm now thinking that a helles and a dunkel are almost absolute necessities here because Augustiner makes very nice versions of both. Let's compare notes as these beers make progress. Cheers.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

I expect it to be pretty similar based on the fact that Wyeast called it MUNICH LAGER 2. I don't expect it to be exactly the same but I expect it to be very close.

That's encouraging. I went down to my brew bunker around 6am today and took a big whiff of the starter as it was spinning. I got some very nice bready character with (what I would describe as) a sort of pie-crust thing. Tough to describe but I seem to pick up something very similar to 2308 and yet slightly different. I'm now thinking that a helles and a dunkel are almost absolute necessities here because Augustiner makes very nice versions of both. Let's compare notes as these beers make progress. Cheers.

Will do.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

When is everyone beginning to raise the temp on lagers these days? Im almost 72 hrs. in on this 1.049 Helles. It has been going strong at 50F since about 12 hrs post pitch.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

I don't follow the ramp up. I pitch cold, get it into a 47-48° fridge and let it go. In 14-20 days I take it out, give it a swirl and leave it on the basement floor for a few days and then send it to a secondary with gel.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:47 AM

5 days at 50F then up to basement temp for 3 days. Then down to 35F for a week before kegging.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

5 days at 50F then up to basement temp for 3 days. Then down to 35F for a week before kegging.

My basement is like 57F right now. Too cold? Maybe I'll put it in the swamp cooler and slowly bring it up to 65F or so before it hits TG, then crash...sound reasonable?

Edited by neddles, 11 March 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

My basement is like 57F right now. Too cold? Maybe I'll put it in the swamp cooler and slowly bring it up to 65F or so before it hits TG, then crash...sound reasonable?

Probably too cold. I like to be above 60 for the diacetyl rest, 65 is my target.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Do you guys follow this schedule in an attempt to have the beer ready quicker? Just curious. I know there has been some talk about an accelerated process but I wondered if it was only for "timeliness" or if there were other reasons. I don't bother with it because it's just nice to be able to put it into the fridge and leave it and then take it out and warm it up when it's done. Call it "old-school" or call it "lazy" or just a fondness for simplicity. But... I would reconsider if quality suffered.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

I've had more issues with diacetyl and acetaldehyde with the old school method. I like the faster ferment to make sure everything is cleaned up. 

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Do you guys follow this schedule in an attempt to have the beer ready quicker? Just curious. I know there has been some talk about an accelerated process but I wondered if it was only for "timeliness" or if there were other reasons. I don't bother with it because it's just nice to be able to put it into the fridge and leave it and then take it out and warm it up when it's done. Call it "old-school" or call it "lazy" or just a fondness for simplicity. But... I would reconsider if quality suffered.

One reason is I will need that fridge (and maybe the carboy) back for other stuff. But yes an accelerated process is good with me if it gets me to TG with the same flavor profile.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

I haven't had diacetyl issues. I leave the carboy at basement temps and swirl it enough to make sure I don't have that issue. I may actually see some increased airlock activity telling me that it's doing something. I generally don't have the issue of needing a carboy or the fridge...although I might take a lager out of the fridge after 7-10 days and place it on the basement floor so I can get another beer in there. That's plenty of time anyway.

#18 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

I think we all get there in the end. 

I need to take advantage of the cold ground water temps while I still can. Time to brew some lagers. I put a 2L starter of 2308 on the stir plate last night. 

Do you guys decant your lager starters? I crash chill and decant mine.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:35 PM

I put a 2L starter of 2308 on the stir plate last night.

What u makin'?

Do you guys decant your lager starters? I crash chill and decant mine.

Yes. Anything done on the stir plate gets decanted.

Edited by neddles, 11 March 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Helles but not sure if traditional or Hallertau Blanc. Probably traditional first then Blanc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users