Photo
- - - - -

Made my starter for 2352 Munich Lager 2 today...

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:36 PM

I suppose I could just let the primary sit on the basement floor for a week or so. Its about 58F down there right now. Then rack straight to the keg and crash and clarify there.

True. When I had that Labor Day party last year and I was scrambling to get beers ready, I did that with a blonde ale and also a Mexican Amber Lager. Both sat for a few extra days in the primary, then racked directly to keg with gel, chilled, hit with gel again and then carbed over 48 hours and served. Both of those beers ended up really good and surprisingly clear. The Mexican Amber Lager was in a keg outside on the patio and was killed in a couple hours. When I came downstairs, a number of 20-somethings were hanging out in the bar and my buddy's son said, "Wow, this hoppy blonde is awesome!". Those were both fast-tracked beers.

#42 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

I finally racked the Helles I made with this 2352 to a keg today. As I was finishing I pulled the racking hose out of the beer and dripped a bunch from the hose down my sleeve. When I smelled my sleeve I had this instictive reaction that said "holy shit get me a bratwurst!" It was heavenly, at least until I realized there weren't any brats in the house. Really looking forward to this one. Cast about 250ml of slurry from it into my (hopefully) Two Women-esque beer.

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

It really does have a great aroma, no question. Because of Easter weekend, I did not brew my next beer with this yeast but this weekend appears to be open and everything is ready to go. I may even get in a double brew weekend.  :o

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Well, it's cold and super windy with snow blowing sideways but the beer must be made. Finally making my pale bock with 2352 under adverse conditions here. Neddles, I can only imagine what it's like up by you today.

#45 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Well, it's cold and super windy with snow blowing sideways but the beer must be made. Finally making my pale bock with 2352 under adverse conditions here. Neddles, I can only imagine what it's like up by you today.

Its one of those weird days when it's blizzard/whiteout conditions for a half hour and then it stops and gets sunny for half hour and then back to blizzard. Cold northwest wind.

Back to the 2352 apparently the 250ml of slurry I tossed in the beer I made was sufficient. Thanks for the guidance Ken. Showed signs of fermentation at around 16 hrs @47F. And once again it smells very nice in that fridge.

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:20 PM

Its one of those weird days when it's blizzard/whiteout conditions for a half hour and then it stops and gets sunny for half hour and then back to blizzard. Cold northwest wind.

Back to the 2352 apparently the 250ml of slurry I tossed in the beer I made was sufficient. Thanks for the guidance Ken. Showed signs of fermentation at around 16 hrs @47F. And once again it smells very nice in that fridge.

Awesome. When I harvested it today, I thought about what you said, (SOMEONE GET ME A BRATWURST!) and I had the same thoughts when transferring this Festbier. The aroma is outrageous.

Our weather is exactly the same... whiteout, sun, whiteout, sun. Wind. Cold. Snow. Not a good day to brew. But wait... what's that I hear?! DOUBLE brew day? Are you for serious? Yes... filtering more water and making my pale steam beer/cream ale/not-sure-what-to-call-it beer. Get the earmuffs and let's giddy up. :D

#47 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

Awesome. When I harvested it today, I thought about what you said, (SOMEONE GET ME A BRATWURST!) and I had the same thoughts when transferring this Festbier. The aroma is outrageous.

Our weather is exactly the same... whiteout, sun, whiteout, sun. Wind. Cold. Snow. Not a good day to brew. But wait... what's that I hear?! DOUBLE brew day? Are you for serious? Yes... filtering more water and making my pale steam beer/cream ale/not-sure-what-to-call-it beer. Get the earmuffs and let's giddy up. :D

I mean what else were you going to do today, yard work?

When I first smacked the pack of this yeast I made a ~200b cell starter and split it. Then set aside 100b of the cells in a sanitized jar in the fridge under the starter beer in case I really liked the yeast and wanted to keep some around (since it is seasonal). I think I'm going to be glad I did that. 

#48 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:44 PM

I mean what else were you going to do today, yard work?

When I first smacked the pack of this yeast I made a ~200b cell starter and split it. Then set aside 100b of the cells in a sanitized jar in the fridge under the starter beer in case I really liked the yeast and wanted to keep some around (since it is seasonal). I think I'm going to be glad I did that.

I was thinking along the same lines (the fact that it's seasonal) and that I need to use it 4 or 5 times since it seems so nice. I originally did not have a helles planned for this yeast but I think I have to now. I made the Festbier and the Pale Bock and another dark lager is planned as well (sort of like my Bordertown Dark Lager... think Negra Modelo) and I think I'll have to add the helles too. Should be a great yeast for that. Cheers.

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

I was thinking along the same lines (the fact that it's seasonal) and that I need to use it 4 or 5 times since it seems so nice. I originally did not have a helles planned for this yeast but I think I have to now. I made the Festbier and the Pale Bock and another dark lager is planned as well (sort of like my Bordertown Dark Lager... think Negra Modelo) and I think I'll have to add the helles too. Should be a great yeast for that. Cheers.

What would happen if I made your Dunkel with this yeast and stuck in the back of the fridge until September?

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

What would happen if I made your Dunkel with this yeast and stuck in the back of the fridge until September?

Dunkel is the beer that I was going to make LAST with this yeast. I was going to make the same recipe that I did last time (with 2308) and use the 2352 since Augustiner may have been the favorite Dunkel we tried over in Munich. Put it into the on-deck fridge and hold it until the later summer, early fall? Seems reasonable. I should probably do that with this Festbier too. In fact, I could have a nice Oktoberfest celebration with a helles, dunkel and festbier, some homemade pretzels, snausages and schnitzel! Maybe it will coincide with moving into a new place. :P

#51 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

Dunkel is the beer that I was going to make LAST with this yeast. I was going to make the same recipe that I did last time (with 2308) and use the 2352 since Augustiner may have been the favorite Dunkel we tried over in Munich. Put it into the on-deck fridge and hold it until the later summer, early fall? Seems reasonable. I should probably do that with this Festbier too. In fact, I could have a nice Oktoberfest celebration with a helles, dunkel and festbier, some homemade pretzels, snausages and schnitzel! Maybe it will coincide with moving into a new place. :P

Yes. Yes you should!

#52 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

I just put a helles recipe together and thought it would be a good idea to make the helles before the Dunkel. Pilsner, some Vienna and Munich I plus 4 ounces of CaraHell. Hallertau as a FWH plus a 60-minute and the 2352. The pale bock fermenting now smells so good I keep going down there to take hits off the airlock. The helles should come out really nicely with this yeast. I'm also planning on cutting my source water 25% with distilled. I think something is happening with the Lake Michigan water and sulfate and possibly bicarb levels are creeping up. Some beers I meant to have a softer feel are a little spikier than I would expect and it seems to be taking more lactic acid to knock down the mash pH. Also, I have a recipe already set for the Dunkel and it's different than the first Dunkel I made with 2308... leaning more towards a Negra Modelo kind of thing and I think that's the version I'll make with 2352.

#53 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Ok here is the final recipe I made with this yeast 15 days ago. Inspired by NG Two Women. It now sits at 1.010 still in primary and great googly moogly it smells phenomenal and tastes even better. Even my wife was all over the hydrometer sample. Really it's pretty reminiscent of Two Women actually but I'll wait until we get some cold time and some gel before I go too far with that. Really excited for this one.

I need to plan another beer with this yeast. Ken, what's up in your 2352 world?

6 gallons

IBU 27

SRM 7

4# 10 oz. Weyermann Floor Malted Boh. Pilsner

4# 10 oz. Weyermann Floor Malted Boh. Dark Malt (5-8L light munich-style malt)

2 oz. Caraaroma

Mash 149F/50min, 160F/20min.

Hallertau Mittelfruh @60

1/2oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh @20

Wy2352 Munich Lager II

#54 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:25 PM

What is this fauxcoction you speak of?

Edited by miccullen, 14 April 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#55 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

What is this fauxcoction you speak of?

Its CWG's technique. Ill let him explain how he does it.

#56 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:55 AM

12985579_10209364178652323_7236345605164

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:53 AM

Ok here is the final recipe I made with this yeast 15 days ago. Inspired by NG Two Women. It now sits at 1.010 still in primary and great googly moogly it smells phenomenal and tastes even better. Even my wife was all over the hydrometer sample. Really it's pretty reminiscent of Two Women actually but I'll wait until we get some cold time and some gel before I go too far with that. Really excited for this one.

I need to plan another beer with this yeast. Ken, what's up in your 2352 world?

6 gallons
IBU 27
SRM 7

4# 10 oz. Weyermann Floor Malted Boh. Pilsner
4# 10 oz. Weyermann Floor Malted Boh. Dark Malt (5-8L light munich-style malt)
2 oz. Caraaroma
Mash 149F/50min, 160F/20min.

Hallertau Mittelfruh @60
1/2oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh @20

Wy2352 Munich Lager II

I still have this pale bock in primary and this weekend I was going to either go with the helles (probably) or the Negra Modelo-type of beer. I agree that the aroma that this yeast gives off is outstanding. I haven't said "Great Googly Moogly" in awhile but it does seem appropriate. :D

Make my recipe for Bordertown Dark Lager with 2352. It's one of my favorite recipes and I would normally use 2124 or 940 in that beer. Super smooth and drinkable...

5 lbs Pilsner Malt or American 2-row Pale Malt
3 lbs Munich Light
1 lb Flaked Corn
6 oz Belgian Caramunich
1.5 oz German Carafa III (mash temp 150-151°)

5.2 AAU German Magnum pellets for 60 minutes
½ oz Hallertau pellets 4.3% for 20 minutes
Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager 2

OG: 1.051, FG: 1.013, IBU: 20, SRM: 14, ABV: 4.9%

#58 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

Making a helles this morning with the 2352. The pale bock I made a couple weeks ago is coming out of primary and being transferred to a secondary. The helles will be made with a combination of pilsners... Weyermann regular pils, the floor-malted and the rest Best Malz. I just saw Chil's post about the floor-malted stuff and it gives me pause but not enough to worry about. The vast majority of this batch will be Weyermann regaulr pils with maybe only 8-10 ounces each of Best and floor-malted. The rest of the helles is 12 ounces of Vienna, 12 of Light Munich and 4 ounces of CaraHell. All Hallertau (FWH and 60) and the 2352. I can't imagine that this combination of pilsners would cause a problem. Also, my batches of helles have been coming out a little "crisp" lately and I'm assuming water variables are changing. So for this batch I'm using 25% distilled water in both mash and sparge with the hopes of making this one a little smoother and softer. Cheers Beerheads.

#59 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

That sounds good Ken. I haven't had much time to do anything beery lately but I did finally keg the recipe I posted above 2 days ago. I made sure to save some slurry. Enjoy your brewing!

#60 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

I can't get over how well this yeast flocs. It's squarely in the 1968-2112-2278 territory for high-floccers. I had a hard time getting it out of the previous primary and into a flask. I'll probably have to run a little of the wort from the transfer from kettle to primary into the flask just to loosen it up a little bit. The pale bock coming out of primary...

1zclttj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users