Photo
- - - - -

Made my starter for 2352 Munich Lager 2 today...

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

Agree, both beers I made with it have come out of primary crystal clear.

#62 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

Clear helles wort on its way to primary...

2n89eg5.jpg

#63 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

This morning the helles was rocking in the primary. I took a big whiff off the airlock and Ho. Lee. Snot. I echo neddles' comment from earlier... Someone get me a brat! This yeast is spectacular and I think we need to contact Wyeast and suggest 2352 become a year-round strain. While I'm at it, I might ask for 2782 Staro to be brought back as well. Can't wait for warmer weather to be coupled with this beer on draft. Cheers.

#64 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

This yeast is spectacular and I think we need to contact Wyeast and suggest 2352 become a year-round strain. 

We may not need to. Check this out. Augustiner is the one hailed as Munich's oldest brewery, no?

https://www.omegayea...o/bayern-lager/

Lager strain hailing from Munich’s oldest brewery. It produces low sulfur and low diacetyl and works in a wide temperature range, resulting in a clean, crisp lager.

Better yet, it can be pre-ordered fresh here.

https://www.ritebrew...gory-s/1998.htm

#65 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:07 AM

Forgot to note that it's also 150 billion cells per pack vs. the usual 100 billion for Wyeast.

#66 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:54 AM

Whoo-boy, that's interesting. The only part that makes me look at that link sideways is that the yeast is described as a medium floccer. 2352 is definitely a high-floccer so I wonder if it's the same strain.

Btw... funny how I posted that pic of me doing everything I can to splash my wort prior to pitching right before this whole low-O2 thing hit. :covreyes:

#67 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:00 AM

Whoo-boy, that's interesting. The only part that makes me look at that link sideways is that the yeast is described as a medium floccer. 2352 is definitely a high-floccer so I wonder if it's the same strain.

Btw... funny how I posted that pic of me doing everything I can to splash my wort prior to pitching right before this whole low-O2 thing hit. :covreyes:

Wyeast calls 2352 a medium floccer too. But we know better.

#68 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

Clear helles wort on its way to primary...

2n89eg5.jpg

Oh Noes!!! Oxygen :)

:troll:

#69 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Ken, are you drinking anything you made with this yeast yet? Both beers I made with it are drinking really well. I'm no master of lager yeast character but to my taste I'd say it's a bit less malty, deep, rich? (for lack of better terms) than 2308 and more so than 2124. Both are 5% or less, delicious, and full of character. I will be making more with this yeast for sure.

#70 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

Not drinking any of these yet. Some kegged, some in secondary, one in primary. All smelled like heaven from the airlock and like a 2308/2124 combo as you say.

#71 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

What is this fauxcoction you speak of?

I'm a bit late on this. Fauxcoction: Near the end of the mash, I pull about a gallons worth of grain with a fine mesh strainer. It goes into a pot and gets boiled for 15-20 minutes. You want as little liquid as possible and need to be vigilant with stirring as not to scorch the grain. The grain gets a deep color change and a more intense bready/toasty/rich aroma. The boiled grain goes back into the mash and I deglaze the pot with some wort. That also goes back into the mash. Stir up the mash and proceed as normal.

I came up with this idea when I had to brew a beer with only one malt. All the competitors were given the same quantity of the same malt to brew a beer. I won first prize with my first batch of 100% RedX Alt. It's still one of my favorite recipes. I only use the fauxcoction on my Alt and Classic Helles.

#72 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

I'm a bit late on this. Fauxcoction: Near the end of the mash, I pull about a gallons worth of grain with a fine mesh strainer. It goes into a pot and gets boiled for 15-20 minutes. You want as little liquid as possible and need to be vigilant with stirring as not to scorch the grain. The grain gets a deep color change and a more intense bready/toasty/rich aroma. The boiled grain goes back into the mash and I deglaze the pot with some wort. That also goes back into the mash. Stir up the mash and proceed as normal.

I came up with this idea when I had to brew a beer with only one malt. All the competitors were given the same quantity of the same malt to brew a beer. I won first prize with my first batch of 100% RedX Alt. It's still one of my favorite recipes. I only use the fauxcoction on my Alt and Classic Helles.

Interesting. I feel like I have heard of brewers also taking some of the first runnings (liquid only, no grain) and boiling that for some amount of time as well. I don't know how long they boil it but you're supposedly getting some malliard reactions and getting a deeper, richer character. Not sure what it's called or what styles to use it on but I've heard of people doing this numerous times.

#73 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

Interesting. I feel like I have heard of brewers also taking some of the first runnings (liquid only, no grain) and boiling that for some amount of time as well. I don't know how long they boil it but you're supposedly getting some malliard reactions and getting a deeper, richer character. Not sure what it's called or what styles to use it on but I've heard of people doing this numerous times.

I've seen that technique used for Scotch ales. It's sort of like making a caramel syrup.

#74 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

I've done a similar procedure as a mashout step to simulate decoction

#75 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

I've seen that technique used for Scotch ales. It's sort of like making a caramel syrup.

It adds a more complex caramel/toffee flavor I find, and it is typically for scotch ales but works well in an English Mild as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users