#1 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

The title of the article is a bit misleading, but it interesting to hear the brewers thoughts on the style and how the cloudy haziness is not intentional.

https://www.newschoo...ot-a-thing.html

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:39 AM

People are nuts. Try this one. 

https://brulosophy.c...n-beer-clarity/

From the Brulosopher himself...

While I think it’s pretty dickish to accuse people of being bad brewers because of the way their beer looks, particularly when said beer is selling like crazy, I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t something more at play. It makes sense to me, for example, that brewers from a particular region looking to stand out might do something like popularize hazy beer as a mostly playful snub to other regions, and that drinkers from that region would latch on the same way we do local sports teams.

Seriously? Can't believe how much butthurt there is over those beers. It's just beer. Denny even made comments at AHA yesterday suggesting these are the result of lazy brewing.

The haze is both the cause of and the result of the hop character and mouthfeel. They go hand and hand. 

#3 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

It is just the yeast and the heavy dry hopping. But even Heady will drop clear if you leave it in the fridge long enough.

ETA: Some of the brewers like Night Shift, Treehouse and Trillium are most likely adding oats/wheat to the grainbill and releasing the beer very young. Night Shift releases their hoppy beers 2.5 weeks from brewday, which combined with heavy dry hopping will lead to a hazy/cloudy beer.

Edited by cavman, 01 April 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

It is just the yeast and the heavy dry hopping. But even Heady will drop clear if you leave it in the fridge long enough.

ETA: Some of the brewers like Night Shift, Treehouse and Trillium are most likely adding oats/wheat to the grainbill and releasing the beer very young. Night Shift releases their hoppy beers 2.5 weeks from brewday, which combined with heavy dry hopping will lead to a hazy/cloudy beer.

IME these can be made without flaked adjunct, or excessive yeast in suspension, and certainly not flour. I can't say exactly what these individual breweries are doing but if they are producing good beer that is selling like crazy that's not reason in my mind to question their skills or integrity. 

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

I used to be in the clear camp.  After doing the style on my own and enjoying commercial ones I am in the as long as it tastes good to me camp.  With that said, I still think what is shown below should not be happening.  This is a "kolsch" from a MA brewery.

12919759_10154907055429657_1637940090922

12931108_10154907055424657_1877698330487

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

I used to be in the clear camp.  After doing the style on my own and enjoying commercial ones I am in the as long as it tastes good to me camp.  With that said, I still think what is shown below should not be happening.  This is a "kolsch" from a MA brewery.

Agree, but I have to say I've had Sierra Nevada Celebration do that, although the particles were very light colored not dark. Could be lighting differences tho.

#7 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Not a good look for a kolsch.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

Not a good look for a kolsch.

I know right!  i should correct myself and say "Kolsch inspired."  It was nothing like I had in Colgne though.

#9 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Trillium Big Sprang?

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:17 AM

Trillium Big Sprang?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

#11 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Yeah they should just call it a hoppy blond, there is nothing Kolsch-like about it.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

Yeah they should just call it a hoppy blond, there is nothing Kolsch-like about it.

I agree with you.  Not a bad beer if you are not thinking kolsch.  I am hopping the floaties are still growing pains with Canton.

#13 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

I agree with you.  Not a bad beer if you are not thinking kolsch.  I am hopping the floaties are still growing pains with Canton.

It might be my least favorite Trillium beer, regular Fort Point is possibly my favorite.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

It might be my least favorite Trillium beer, regular Fort Point is possibly my favorite.

There was a small selection for me to pick from of bottles out my way.  One of these days I will make the trip to Canton or Boston to try it there.

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, no. There's nothing wrong with making a generic or not to style ale with kolsch yeast, but if it's not stylistically a kolsch, dont call it one. I don't say this from a judges perspective, more so from a consumers perspective. When you give beers a style name you create expectations. There's nothing wrong with not claiming a style other than "ale". 

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Yeah, no. There's nothing wrong with making a generic or not to style ale with kolsch yeast, but if it's not stylistically a kolsch, dont call it one. I don't say this from a judges perspective, more so from a consumers perspective. When you give beers a style name you create expectations. There's nothing wrong with not claiming a style other than "ale". 

While I don't disagree with you I wouldn't doubt if this was done strictly for marketing purposes. In a saturated market it's hard to set yourself apart with another Blonde Ale. A "Kolsch" OTOH is something most of the beer drinking public won't have a basis from which to judge. 

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

While I don't disagree with you I wouldn't doubt if this was done strictly for marketing purposes. In a saturated market it's hard to set yourself apart with another Blonde Ale. A "Kolsch" OTOH is something most of the beer drinking public won't have a basis from which to judge. 

These German beers styles are getting more popular. It won't be long before the public is educated enough, and the beer geeks that tend to create the loudest buzz about beers could cause problems for breweries that do things like that. There's a lot of ways to set yourself apart, chief among them is to brew a fantastic beer. Giving a little thought to the marketing beyond style or lack there of is a big step step too.

#18 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

I can see some of these new beer geeks drinking Big Sprang as their first Kolsch and thinking they are like that. Then one day notice a Reisdorf on the shelf buy it and think it is a poor representation of the style.

Beer advocate Ratings for Kolsch:
Big Sprang=4.35
Reissdorf=3.84

Edited by cavman, 01 April 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

I can see some of these new beer geeks drinking Big Sprang as their first Kolsch and thinking they are like that. Then one day notice a Reisdorf on the shelf buy it and think it is a poor representation of the style.

Yep, I can see that happening.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

People are nuts. Try this one. 

https://brulosophy.c...n-beer-clarity/

From the Brulosopher himself...

Seriously? Can't believe how much butthurt there is over those beers. It's just beer. Denny even made comments at AHA yesterday suggesting these are the result of lazy brewing.

The haze is both the cause of and the result of the hop character and mouthfeel. They go hand and hand. 

the left coast seems to get upset when people like east coast beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users