#141 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

I'm going to chalk this up to a matter of preference.  The fact that Denny doesn't enjoy HT right off the bat tells me there is a good chance we are going to have differences in opinion on a lot of beers that are like that.  HT is one of my favorite hoppy beers.  just so freakin' good.  the fact that it's hard to get has nothing to do with it b/c that is actually my least favorite part about it.  I hate all of that kind of thing that is going on with beer.  it's one of the reasons that a lot of these kinds of beers I've tried have been gifted to me by people who are willing to make that special trip, stand in line, etc.  but I really do appreciate the effort b/c a lot of them have been really great and change my ideas about what beer can be like.

I happen to also really like west coast IPAs.  stone, Russian river, etc.  also some of my all time favorite beers.  they just happen to be different than some of the stuff being brewed in new England right now.  not a problem for me - I love it all.  and I've tried to mimic the flavors of both types of IPAs in my own beer.  I like having a variety of hoppy beers and not just one kind.

regarding any sense of rivalry or anything like that I just don't see it around here.  for instance, stone's hoppy offerings are hugely popular among my hoppy beer drinking friends.  so is HT, tree house and others.  there is no "we do it better than them" type of thing going on here.  perhaps this is a case of the west coast brewers and beer drinkers not wanting to share any of the hoppy beer spot light?  it's been so west coast dominated for so long maybe this is a bit of a shock.

I just don't get why people think this is an us vs. them rivalry.  It is simply, as you stated in the first sentence, a case of subjective preference.  I don't dislike some of the NE IPAs becasue of where they came from...I dislike some of them because they don't meet what I'm looking for in an IPA.  To think that west coast brewers don't want to "share the spotlight" is not only misguided, but also seems a bit silly.

#142 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

I just don't get why people think this is an us vs. them rivalry.  It is simply, as you stated in the first sentence, a case of subjective preference.  I don't dislike some of the NE IPAs becasue of where they came from...I dislike some of them because they don't meet what I'm looking for in an IPA.  To think that west coast brewers don't want to "share the spotlight" is not only misguided, but also seems a bit silly.

the hate for the term "juicy" and the "deriding" of the NEIPA style of beer is coming mostly from west coast beer people.  as I've mentioned I have not heard people around here deriding the many delicious west coast style IPAs.  they've been popular for a long time and continue to be popular around here.  the flow of negativity for a beer style seems to be heading from west to east and not the other way around.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 May 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#143 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

meh .. nevermind

Edited by drez77, 23 May 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#144 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

meh .. nevermind

starting to feel the same way.  as a person who drinks mostly their own beer these styles could all come and go and it wouldn't matter as long as I have access to ingredients.

#145 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

the hate for the term "juicy" and the "deriding" of the NEIPA style of beer is coming mostly from west coast beer people.  as I've mentioned I have not heard people around here deriding the many delicious west coast style IPAs.  they've been popular for a long time and continue to be popular around here.  the flow of negativity for a beer style seems to be heading from west to east and not the other way around.

Is there hate for the term "juicy"?  I didn't understand it at first, but that's a lot different than hate.  And is expressing a preference for one version necessarily deriding another version?  Again, I may not get it, but I don't have any problems with the people who do.  I got over judging people by what they drink a long time ago.  At least I hope I did.

#146 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

Is there hate for the term "juicy"?

not from you but there are a lot of people who don't seem to like the term.

#147 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

not from you but there are a lot of people who don't seem to like the term.

well, feck them!  :)

#148 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

just to be clear, my post regarding rivalry is more to the OP and not your tastes when it comes to the beers you tried.  you mentioned something regarding disparaging east or west coast in there which is why I brought up the rivalry thing.  the OP is kind of an example.  that guy doesn't even want the style to be a style and I'm not sure why.

#149 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

No Li here in Spokane actually has am IPA called "Big Juicy" :D  

I had one on Saturday, and I really liked it, then I looked it up on Beer Advocate, it's like I wasn't even drinking the same beer, and neither were the 2 guys who had reviewed it  :stabby:

#150 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

No Li here in Spokane actually has am IPA called "Big Juicy" :D  

I had one on Saturday, and I really liked it, then I looked it up on Beer Advocate, it's like I wasn't even drinking the same beer, and neither were the 2 guys who had reviewed it  :stabby:

Take Beer Advocate for what it is, the reviews are ridiculous now. Jason Allstrom did buy me a couple of beers at Night Shift brewery last week though.

#151 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

Take Beer Advocate for what it is, the reviews are ridiculous now. Jason Allstrom did buy me a couple of beers at Night Shift brewery last week though.

this one is a pretty dry golden 6% IPA that tastes like it was squeezed through a bag of cents or cascades

#152 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

this one is a pretty dry golden 6% IPA that tastes like it was squeezed through a bag of cents or cascades

That sounds better than the only NO-Li IPA I have had which was Amber and sweet, but it was also 4 years ago or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users