10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

I tried desperately to derail THIS thread with my Scottish Ale gibberish. I do have everything I need to make a nice Scottish Ale and I was looking at my handy Wyeast poster yesterday and I see that you can use 1728 Scottish Ale yeast down to 55°. I don't remember that being the case and I was surprised. Who uses 1728 regularly and what temp to you try to keep the primary fermentation at? I generally like things cool, crisp and clean so I could see trying to keep it low. I also see that it's a high-floccer so the low-temp plus it's tendency to drop may require some monitoring. Cheers gang.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

I've done upper 50s with it in a "summer ale".  it was crisp and clean for sure.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Where is CJ in J when you need him.  I think that is the house yeast of the brewery he works for.

:ph34r:

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

Where is CJ in J when you need him.  I think that is the house yeast of the brewery he works for.

:ph34r:

I thought they used an English strain. I'm really surprised that the low point for 1728 is 55° and it shows how long its been since I brewed with it. My guess is that it's like anything else... the cooler it is, the cleaner and the warmer it is, the more estery.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

I thought they used an English strain. I'm really surprised that the low point for 1728 is 55° and it shows how long its been since I brewed with it. My guess is that it's like anything else... the cooler it is, the cleaner and the warmer it is, the more estery.

https://www.sheltonb...ters-mikan-ale/

They then went back to fermenting with their house Scottish ale yeast, rather than using the American ale yeast strain of last year

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

I have to say I have never used the strain. I probably should. For the expert that has yet to check in... If fermented cool and clean what does it have to offer that any one of a number of other yeasts fermented cool and clean dont have to offer?

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

I have to say I have never used the strain. I probably should. For the expert that has yet to check in... If fermented cool and clean what does it have to offer that any one of a number of other yeasts fermented cool and clean dont have to offer?

like most yeasts it has it's own character.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

I consider it to be along the lines of many English yeasts in that it has that bready character and a very slight tart-fruit thing going on. It's like 1056 with a twist or in this case 1028 with a twist. When I used to use it in the past, I remember reading someone's opinion that 1728 had a slight smoky character (which I never noticed). Bottom line is that it's very neutral and has some general UK-area character. I have a stack of recipes I plan to brew and one is a generic amber ale that I was going to use 1056 in but now I think I'll use 1728 after I make the Scottish 80 I have planned. I just have to make sure to mash on the low side (1728 has a lower attenuation number) and keep it roused after it warms up to make sure I'm at FG.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

Cool stuff.

*follows thread*

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

I tried desperately to derail THIS thread with my Scottish Ale gibberish. I do have everything I need to make a nice Scottish Ale and I was looking at my handy Wyeast poster yesterday and I see that you can use 1728 Scottish Ale yeast down to 55°. I don't remember that being the case and I was surprised. Who uses 1728 regularly and what temp to you try to keep the primary fermentation at? I generally like things cool, crisp and clean so I could see trying to keep it low. I also see that it's a high-floccer so the low-temp plus it's tendency to drop may require some monitoring. Cheers gang.

I've used it in a wee heavy the mid 40s with outstanding results.  I always run it in the 50-52F range.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

It will definitely ferment cool. A friend of mine has a basement that never gets above mid-60's even in the dead of summer. He has no temp control so he has to use yeasts that will tolerate that environment. 1728 is one of his go-to strains for ales. We brewed a barley wine together and he fermented his half with 1728 and it came out very nice. Seems to emphasize the malt quite a bit. Has some character (not squeaky clean like 1056) but not super fruity especially when fermented cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users