Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on future basement electric brewery?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16626 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

1469 is my new favorite Brit yeast

There are a handful of us here.

#122 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

1469 is my new favorite Brit yeast

I have a package at home that I need to brew with soon!

#123 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

It was because of a thread here that I wanted to try 1469, so I'm intrigued to taste these beers when they are ready. 

I've also read it is good for top cropping, so I am hoping to time subsequent batches so that I can just top crop from one to the next. If I can brew twice a week, I should be able to manage that. I'm just not sure how many English styles I want to have on tap at once - I was thinking of doing a bitter series, a mild, and maybe a brown, but not sure if I want to do more with the yeast than that.

From those that like 1469, what are your favorite styles to make with it?

#124 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16626 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

From those that like 1469, what are your favorite styles to make with it?

English styles. I have made mostly various bitters with it. I also made an English brown, pale mild, blond. I have also made APA with it. It works great in APA. I fermented that a bit cooler and it made a very nice beer.

It seems to be an inconsistent top cropper. Most of the time it forms and leaves a krausen that refuses to drop and I have to cold crash or rack from under it. Very easy to crop. There have been a few times for me, however (including this week) when it doesn't develop the big krausen. Never been able to explain it.

#125 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

English styles. I have made mostly various bitters with it. I also made an English brown, pale mild, blond. I have also made APA with it. It works great in APA. I fermented that a bit cooler and it made a very nice beer.

It seems to be an inconsistent top cropper. Most of the time it forms and leaves a krausen that refuses to drop and I have to cold crash or rack from under it. Very easy to crop. There have been a few times for me, however (including this week) when it doesn't develop the big krausen. Never been able to explain it.

Thanks for telling me your experience with the yeast, this is the first time I'm using it. When I checked, I saw a very firm krausen in the fermenter, so I am hopeful that I can top crop with this generation at least. I have a Special Bitter mashing right now, and I plan on doing an ESB next to finish the bitter series, and then move on to some other English styles. I'll probably do the mild and then a brown. 

The APA sounds intriguing - mind posting the recipe you used with the 1469?

#126 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

I my limited experience, the 1469 has a pleasant but not heavy "brit" ester profile favoring malt, but allowing hops to come through better than some brit yeasts, and quite clean. I've only made brit styles though.

#127 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16626 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

=The APA sounds intriguing - mind posting the recipe you used with the 1469?

Not as hoppy by some standards but a really nice easy to drink APA. 

6 gallons

OG1.050

FG1.010

5.2% ABV

SRM 7

IBU 37

95% Rahr Pale Ale

5% C40

Mash 150F

7g Apollo 60

45g each Cascade/Willamette @10

45g each Cascade/Willamette in 160F whirlpool

WY1469

ETA: I fermented this at 63-64F for a few days before adding a bit of heat over the next several days and finishing at 70F for a couple days before kegging.

Edited by neddles, 28 May 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#128 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I'll think about adapting it to what I have on hand (Different base grain and hops). What was the alpha% on the apollo you used?

The first attempt at top cropping went quite well. I simply sanitized a big spoon, and then ladled off as much of the krausen as I could. I checked the next morning, and the new batch was fermenting along nicely already. I hope I can brew in 2-3 days so that I can top crop again from the Special Bitter to the next one. As long as I can keep up this frequency, I shouldn't have to worry about starters or the like for the rest of the series, which would be convenient. I'll probably still store one or two mason jars of slurry from the first batch to keep the first generation yeast around.

Right now I am keeping ambient temperature in the fermentation chamber 64F, so we'll see how well I like the flavors at this temp. I've read of a lot of different preferences by brewers for the entire range, so I'm not sure what to expect. Also, since I am overlapping some batches, I need to figure out the best compromise for the temperature.

#129 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16626 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

The apollo was 17.8%.

With 1469 I find it's english-y character really seems to come out around 66F and gets stronger as you go up. On my palate I get a very nice pleasant bready-nutty character from it. Report back with what you find and what you think of it.

#130 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

The apollo was 17.8%.

With 1469 I find it's english-y character really seems to come out around 66F and gets stronger as you go up. On my palate I get a very nice pleasant bready-nutty character from it. Report back with what you find and what you think of it.

Thanks for the numbers!

So far I've only tasted the Ordinary bitter, and I'm liking it so far, but it is still really young and cloudy. The Special Bitter is next to be kegged (probably within the next few days).

I may bump up the ambient by a degree or two for later batches (I currently have an ESB and a messed up ESB [let mash go for 24 hours and its soured] fermenting).

Really, I'm just glad to be doing an English series now. It has been years since I've done any English style beers, though after I do this series, I may be sick of them, and not do it again for years. haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users