MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

I think.

Humdum called me up out of the blue the other day to ask a favor and while he was at it twisted my arm a little to come back here and say hi. So here I am. Hopefully I won't pull anymore disappearing acts.

Hope everybody is doing well and brewing lots of beer. I'm still brewing on my electric system and I have a great story to tell about one of the biggest cock ups I ever made a few weeks ago. I'll post that later in the spirit of "some of us are here on Earth merely to serve as an example to others."

Peace y'all.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

Good to see you back.

How has your system been treating you? You have a Kai clone of I remember correctly.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

Yeah pretty much. I departed from Kai's design a little bit here and there but it's very close. It's a great system. I love brewing on it and I get very good consistency. I don't remember if I posted it here but I also added a heated & cooled conical (which is the subject of the horror story I alluded to).

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

YES!

welcome back.  as a moderator no less?  did they reinstate you or were you a moderator this whole time you were gone?

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

Nah they never bothered to pull my mod status. Hell kroyster is still a mod.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Yeah pretty much. I departed from Kai's design a little bit here and there but it's very close. It's a great system. I love brewing on it and I get very good consistency. I don't remember if I posted it here but I also added a heated & cooled conical (which is the subject of the horror story I alluded to).

I have given up on conicals.  I now use some SS flat bottom fermenters that I have modified to work with tri-clamps.  So far I really like them.  It is pretty funny, I have a nice 3 vessel all electric and I have been only using my RIMS and BK these days doing BIAB beers.  Saves me some time and makes it easier to brew with kids.  I have even moved to 30 minute boils for most of my hoppy beers with a 20-30 minute whirlpool.  I did do a 30 minute helles this weekend just to see how it comes out.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

so what is mtn into brewing these days?

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:41 AM

I love being able to open up the drain in the conical to clean it out. I wish my kettle had that feature. One thing I would like to do is set up a CIP loop for cleaning and sanitizing the conical. The problem is that those itty bitty March pumps won't push hard enough to make a spray ball work. I'll probably start a thread on that too to see if anybody has any good ideas.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

I love being able to open up the drain in the conical to clean it out. I wish my kettle had that feature. One thing I would like to do is set up a CIP loop for cleaning and sanitizing the conical. The problem is that those itty bitty March pumps won't push hard enough to make a spray ball work. I'll probably start a thread on that too to see if anybody has any good ideas.

When I had mine I just used a utility sump pump for CIP.  worked good and cheap.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

so what is mtn into brewing these days?

I'll brew pretty much anything. However I've gotten a little pickier about experimenting with 10 gallon batches. Somehow when going from 5 to 10, I crossed some imaginary threshold. I would brew anything on my 5 gallon system but I'm more reluctant to try an unknown on the 10 gallon.

My staples include pale ales (English & American), IPAs, most Belgians and several lagers. I don't do a lot of dark beers. I like them, I just don't 10 gallons like them. The exception being the occasional black IPA (two words: midnight wheat).

When I had mine I just used a utility sump pump for CIP.  worked good and cheap.

That's a thought. :scratch:

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53996 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

I have a great story to tell about one of the biggest cock ups I ever made a few weeks ago.

You dropped a full diaper into the primary? Yeah, we heard that one. :P Good to see you back here. I mentioned it in the MOD subforum but at the very least stick around in here and leave the PH to the professionals. I'm sure you're keeping up on brewing stuff elsewhere but between the new ingredients, new techniques and Marshall's "exbeeriments" putting old brewing myths to rest... there's a lot to like about the current state of homebrewing. Cheers friend.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

I've been meaning to try making a black IPA.  kind of retro at this point ;)

#13 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

You dropped a full diaper into the primary? Yeah, we heard that one. :P Good to see you back here. I mentioned it in the MOD subforum but at the very least stick around in here and leave the PH to the professionals. I'm sure you're keeping up on brewing stuff elsewhere but between the new ingredients, new techniques and Marshall's "exbeeriments" putting old brewing myths to rest... there's a lot to like about the current state of homebrewing. Cheers friend.

Not quite that bad but pretty stupid for a guy that's been brewing on and off since the 80's.

Regarding new techniques, ingredients, etc. there's probably a lot I've missed out on so I need to catch up. My new position in the brew club is Education guru so these exbeeriments sound like something I need to get familiar with.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53996 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

Not quite that bad but pretty stupid for a guy that's been brewing on and off since the 80's.

Regarding new techniques, ingredients, etc. there's probably a lot I've missed out on so I need to catch up. My new position in the brew club is Education guru so these exbeeriments sound like something I need to get familiar with.

They're great. Not many people have the time to do these things, get people together to help do the experiment and then publish it so we can all benefit from it. He has tackled oxygenation, underpitching, overpitching, allowing some amount of solids into the brew kettle (tannins, etc), things regarding clarity, the perception of FWHing and whether people could tell the difference, getting hoppy character by adding MORE hops or just LATE hops and whether the variety played a major role, etc. He's poking holes in all kinds of things that have been homebrewing boogeymen for years.

Brulosophy. You'll be a fan.

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:06 AM

There goes the neighborhood!  :)

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

*flounces*

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53996 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

This is why we can't have nice things! :lol:

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16517 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

Patiently waiting to hear about the conical debacle! 

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16632 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

Welcome Back!

#20 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

Good to see you posting again. The propane brewers are starting to become the minority in here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users