#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:39 AM

A friend of mine is visiting from albuquerque.  She offered to bring me some beers.  Anything I should specifically request from the area?

She mentioned some breweries but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Bosque
La Cumbre
Canteen
Marble
Santa Fe

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:45 AM

Toonces would be the guy to ask.  I have heard good things about La Cumbre tho

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:54 AM

I guess I should PM him.  He probably doesn't peruse the beer forum much.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:03 AM

I guess I should PM him.  He probably doesn't peruse the beer forum much.

I would send him a PM.  I think he may make it over here now and then but not enough.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:05 AM

re: la cumbre

interesting that they are brewing arrogant bastard there.

the elevated IPA sounds really good.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:18 AM

I tried some good Marble beers when I was out there. The Marble Red was pretty good. Unfortunately my conference kept me cooped up in my hotel most of the week so most of the beer I had was in the hotel lobby bar... Sam Adams Octoberfest.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

re: la cumbre

interesting that they are brewing arrogant bastard there.

the elevated IPA sounds really good.

They talk about Elevated IPA in here.  I can get the info for you if you want it.  I have wanted to try that beer but have not got around to it.

most of the beer I had was in the hotel lobby bar... Sam Adams Octoberfest.

:crybaby: Sorry!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

They talk about Elevated IPA in here.  I can get the info for you if you want it.  I have wanted to try that beer but have not got around to it.

:crybaby: Sorry!

What was really funny was that one of the presenters at the conference was Stephen from Germany and over the week we talked about German culture and beer a lot. I was drinking the SA one night and he leaned over and said, "This is not Oktoberfest beer" with a wink. I put my head down and said, "Yeah, I know". :lol: Another night we were out for dinner and he asked me which beer to get so I suggested the Marble Red. He took a sip and his eyes lit up. He said, "Oh my God the hops!". I said, "We tend to use more hops over here". At first he was kind of finger-wagging the beer like, "This is not right" but he kept drinking it and when his glass was empty, I still had over half of a glass so he clearly liked it.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:20 AM

alright - elevated will def be on my list then.  drez, maybe I can save one for you.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:49 AM

alright - elevated will def be on my list then.  drez, maybe I can save one for you.

Yes-Baby.png

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:52 AM

Yes-Baby.png

you look a lot older in real life.

#12 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33940 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

A friend of mine is visiting from albuquerque.  She offered to bring me some beers.  Anything I should specifically request from the area?

She mentioned some breweries but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Bosque
La Cumbre
Canteen
Marble
Santa Fe

bosque is relatively new.  don't know much about them other than they sold their small brewing system to the local beer beer coop when they needed to expand.  I have had a couple of their beers.  weren't bad, but weren't fantastic.  also weren't to the style they were supposed to be.

jeff erway is the owner/brewer of la cumber.  I've never had anything I didn't like from jeff.  that boy definitely knows how to make beer.  elevated is a good beer.  I volunteered to work for jeff for free if he would teach me how to make beer.

canteen is apparently new, I've never heard of it.  but, there's a shit ton of new breweries in the 'burque area.

ted rice is the head brewer at marble.  ted taught jeff erway how to brew when they were at chama river brewing.  ted is a really good guy.  all that being said, ted's talents are being held back by his boss, jeff jennet.  jeff jennet is a major asshole.  marble was created to make beer for the parent company, santa fe dining.  santa fe dining has about 10 upscale restaurants, where they charge $10+ a beer to people who want to feel superior about drinking 'craft beer'.  marble only has a couple of good beers.  the red is one of them.  mrs. toon likes their wheat beer.

brian lock is the owner/brewer at santa fe.  another really good guy.  santa fe brewing is the oldest and largest brewer in new mexico.  and the majority of their beer is sold outside of the state.  they have several good beers.  happy camper ipa is good.  chickenkiller barleywine is good.  state pen porter has won awards at the world cup.  I like both the nut brown and pale ale.

another brewery that wasn't mentioned is sierra blanca.  the owner, mike weber, is another really good guy.  I like their alien amber, their desert pilsner and their outlaw lager. they also have pancho verde, which is a lager infused with green chile.

shoot me a pm if you want to know more.

Yes-Baby.png

um.  we could do some business.  if you know what I mean...

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

Don't make a wrong turn...

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

I wish I could remember this exactly but... I emailed one of these places when I was out there and I think it was La Cumbre. I mentioned that I was in town and would LOVE to tour the brewery if someone would allow that. I got an email back the next morning like, "It would be our pleasure to give you a tour. Just let us know when you can come by!" which was really cool. Little did I know that I would barely get the chance to go outside the freaking Marriot even to enjoy a breath of fresh 75° air. My time was so tied up I never got the chance. I did email them back thanking them and explaining that I couldn't make it.

#15 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

Elevated is an excellent beer definitely get some.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

so my friend said they could bring me 6 beers.  so 2 elevateds (one for me and one for drez).  should I stick with la cumbre?  I don't want to make my friend go too much all around to get this stuff.  maybe one other brewery.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

so my friend said they could bring me 6 beers.  so 2 elevateds (one for me and one for drez).  should I stick with la cumbre?  I don't want to make my friend go too much all around to get this stuff.  maybe one other brewery.

Sweeet!

#18 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33940 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:39 AM

Found out some info. Canteen is an established brewery that changed their name. Used to be il vicino. Il vicino was/is a pizzeria in burque with 4-5 locations. Has pretty decent beer.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

good to know!

#20 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Found out some info. Canteen is an established brewery that changed their name. Used to be il vicino. Il vicino was/is a pizzeria in burque with 4-5 locations. Has pretty decent beer.

We have a couple of locations here in Colorado Springs as well. Yeah, decent beer, decent pizza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users