#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

I used something like 15g dried for 5 gallons.  Like Denny, just sprinkled on.  Before it was available in singles, Denny and I split a brick of this stuff. My IN State Fair first place Schwartzbier used this yeast.

so 3 packets for 10 gals sounds about right but 1 packet for 5 gals might be a little low.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

Okay, I found it over at Farmhouse Supply. I ordered two packets of it along with some pilsner, flaked corn, and some Spalt and Styrian hops. When I use a yeast for the first time (like I'm using this 2352... which I kinda used before but...), I like to make something pale with it and also something dark so I can compare how the yeast performs on both ends of the color spectrum. Would anyone suggest this yeast for a malty helles? A dunkel? I'm just feeling around with it. Thanks for the suggestion Chils!

#23 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14104 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

Love that yeast...been using it for years. It's Zurich yeast, from the brewery that does Samichlaus.

Dried version of the White Labs 885?

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

Dried version of the White Labs 885?

According to the Mr. Malty chart it is.  It says WLP885---> Samichlaus

https://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

I do like a nice bock every now and then.  are you also 2 packets per 5 gallons?

I'd say of your OG is much over 1.060, go for 2 to be safe.  For anything under that I've just used 1.

Okay, I found it over at Farmhouse Supply. I ordered two packets of it along with some pilsner, flaked corn, and some Spalt and Styrian hops. When I use a yeast for the first time (like I'm using this 2352... which I kinda used before but...), I like to make something pale with it and also something dark so I can compare how the yeast performs on both ends of the color spectrum. Would anyone suggest this yeast for a malty helles? A dunkel? I'm just feeling around with it. Thanks for the suggestion Chils!

Seems like it would be great for both.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

I'd say of your OG is much over 1.060, go for 2 to be safe.  For anything under that I've just used 1.

Seems like it would be great for both.

My beers will be around 1.050 so I could probably get away with 1 packet. I'm going to go with my standard helles recipe and then go with either a dunkel, Jamil's Vienna and/or one of my Negra Modelo-type beers and see how it performs. Cheers kids.

#27 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

I almost grabbed a pack at my LHBS, but damn, it was only a buck less than a fresh pack of WYEAST! $5.95 vs $6.95

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

I almost grabbed a pack at my LHBS, but damn, it was only a buck less than a fresh pack of WYEAST! $5.95 vs $6.95

I would have done the same. Wish I could get liquid that cheap.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

I would have done the same. Wish I could get liquid that cheap.

and only 10 days old!

actually the 34/70 was $5.95 the s-189 was $6.95

#30 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Would anyone suggest this yeast for a malty helles? A dunkel? I'm just feeling around with it. Thanks for the suggestion Chils!

Hey, rock on Ken. I've been looking for a neutral yeast that would leave some malt character for awhile to keep around. Hoping this is the one. I'll know more after fermenting my house lager recipes with it.

My LHBS has a dismal selection of liquid yeast. Pretty much have to order to get fresh liquid. Thing I like about dry is I can keep it for awhile and not have to worry about expiration. For me, any yeast is a multi-batch affair. I plan on 4-5 batches out of each pack so it doesn't matter to me in which form it comes. Usually end up spending ~ $1/batch for yeast.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

$4.89 for the S-189 at Farmhouse.

How does everyone feel about reusing dry yeast? That may sound like a strange question but I'm honestly a complete kindergartener when it comes to dry yeast... I never use it.

#32 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

How does everyone feel about reusing dry yeast? That may sound like a strange question but I'm honestly a complete kindergartener when it comes to dry yeast... I never use it.

I got mine from farmhouse as well. I treat dry just like I treat liquid--1 pack starters for both. I've noticed the harvests usually produce better beer than the 1st pitch. Never had any problems repitching dry lager(or ale) yeast and I've re-pitched S-23(Denny's personal Favorite), W-34/70, and MJ M-84 all for multi-generations.

Edited by chils, 21 April 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#33 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

I routinely re-use dry and liquid strains, always have

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

Okay, good to know. I'm looking forward to this. I have a soft spot in my heart for the characters that yeast lend to beer and any time I use a yeast for the first time, I'm interested in what it will be like, what it might remind me of and whether I'll like it and use it again.

#35 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:42 PM

Okay, good to know. I'm looking forward to this. I have a soft spot in my heart for the characters that yeast lend to beer and any time I use a yeast for the first time, I'm interested in what it will be like, what it might remind me of and whether I'll like it and use it again.

whatcha gonna make?

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

Thinking helles and dunkel or Vienna.

#37 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:04 PM

Thinking helles and dunkel or Vienna.

I vote helles

#38 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

No different than using liquid yeast.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

No different than using liquid yeast.

Dry yeast has come a long way in the 14 years I have been brewing. I can only imagine how it's progressed in your tenure.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

Dry yeast has come a long way in the 14 years I have been brewing. I can only imagine how it's progressed in your tenure.

It has come a long way for sure and there is a lot more of it. I remember going to the one LHBS here and I would ask the hippie girl who was working there what dry yeast they had available. She would always say, "MUTTONS". That's all they had... Munton's. I will probably fire up a helles and then use it again in a dunkel or maybe a Mexican Vienna. I'll save one of the two packets and do something else with that one. Cheers gang.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yeast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users