#41 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

I sent an e-mail to NB--where I bought the malt. A good CS rep named Gabe is checking with Weyermann for me. When some of the peeps on the German brewing forum were bashing this malt I told Ken they were full of crap. The last sack of it I used was the best malt I've ever used--period.This really bums me out b/c there probably isn't another malt that's gonna make beer as good as I made with that last bag.ETA--the 3 star rating: I hit that stupid star-rating button on my Kindle touchscreen all the time when using it to surf the site.

I assume you've tried Durst and Best? Taste is so subjective, isn't it?

#42 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

I assume you've tried Durst and Best? Taste is so subjective, isn't it?

Haven't used Durst. Have used Best and Dingemans as well as most of the domestic maltsters pils.

That good bag of floor malt was really rich. All the beer made from it had a honey, graham cracker quality. Very tasty stuff for the Czech lagers I brew.

#43 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

Haven't used Durst. Have used Best and Dingemans as well as most of the domestic maltsters pils.
That good bag of floor malt was really rich. All the beer made from it had a honey, graham cracker quality. Very tasty stuff for the Czech lagers I brew.

the batch I made with it was like that, really made a delicious lager.

#44 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

the batch I made with it was like that, really made a delicious lager.

It is special when its right. I had no intention of using anything else for my Czech lagers, which are 70+% of what I brew. I did feel it was a bit too rich for German pils. Keep Best on hand for those.

#45 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

It is special when its right. I had no intention of using anything else for my Czech lagers, which are 70+% of what I brew. I did feel it was a bit too rich for German pils. Keep Best on hand for those.

I cut it 50/50 with Best when I used it.

#46 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

I cut it 50/50 with Best when I used it.

I did that on a hoppy German pils I brewed cuz I was worried the hop character needed a bit more malt character. It was tasty.

#47 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

I did that on a hoppy German pils I brewed cuz I was worried the hop character needed a bit more malt character. It was tasty.

yep very nice

#48 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

All the beer made from it had a honey, graham cracker quality.

Yep. That's what I have really liked about it. I have about 8 pounds left from a previous order and then I will open the new bag. I'll report if I get anything funny from it. Fingers crossed as it was purchased onsite at NB in Minneapolis.

#49 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

I just had a chance to try some Weyermann Barke pils....excellent flavor.

#50 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53976 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

I just had a chance to try some Weyermann Barke pils....excellent flavor.

So I stopped at a LHBS today that I had only been to once before. It's actually pretty close to me but I didn't like the shop the first time I went. I picked up some stuff and grabbed 15 pounds of this Weyermann Barke Pils too. The lady running the place had me taste it and it's got a really nice flavor. I also told her about the inconsistent floor-malted stuff and she told me that there was a fungus that had caused some of the Weyermann malting floor-malted pils to get funky. I asked her if it was a distribution thing or if I happened in the US and she told me that it happened at the maltster in Germany which surprised me. She could be FOS but she seems pretty knowledgeable and has been brewing since 1986. Anyway... who has brewed with this Barke pils? Denny, Chils... any experience? I plan to make some Helles with it.

#51 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, I just kicked a keg of German pils that I made with it.  Huge, rounded, full bodied malt flavor.  I really liked it a lot.  Enough that I may actually BUY some!

#52 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53976 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, I just kicked a keg of German pils that I made with it.  Huge, rounded, full bodied malt flavor.  I really liked it a lot.  Enough that I may actually BUY some!

:lol:

I got a very big flavor from the kernels I tried. Sort of Grape-Nuts with a little honey character. Really nice flavor. I also have this S-189 dry lager yeast we were talking about in another thread so I'm wondering what to do with this stuff. I have enough to make two 5-gallon batches with it.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

:lol:

I got a very big flavor from the kernels I tried. Sort of Grape-Nuts with a little honey character. Really nice flavor. I also have this S-189 dry lager yeast we were talking about in another thread so I'm wondering what to do with this stuff. I have enough to make two 5-gallon batches with it.

that sounds great.  maybe I'll give it a try once I'm out of my best malz pils.

#54 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

So I stopped at a LHBS today that I had only been to once before. It's actually pretty close to me but I didn't like the shop the first time I went. I picked up some stuff and grabbed 15 pounds of this Weyermann Barke Pils too. The lady running the place had me taste it and it's got a really nice flavor. I also told her about the inconsistent floor-malted stuff and she told me that there was a fungus that had caused some of the Weyermann malting floor-malted pils to get funky. I asked her if it was a distribution thing or if I happened in the US and she told me that it happened at the maltster in Germany which surprised me. She could be FOS but she seems pretty knowledgeable and has been brewing since 1986. Anyway... who has brewed with this Barke pils? Denny, Chils... any experience? I plan to make some Helles with it.

I haven't used the Barke but this fiasco has me burned on Weyermann I must say. I've been talking with a CS rep at Northern Brewer who said Weyermann has denied any problem with the malt. He said a couple weeks ago that he would send me enough for a batch and see if it was OK then replace the rest if it was. Haven't heard back after I told him to send 10lbs on 5-19.

He kept referring to a possible storage condition problem on my end or the age of the malt(~1.25yrs right now). My malt is stored inside the house in a cool closet under my stairs. I tie up the opened sacks, place them inside space bags and vacuum all the air out. I've used 3yr old malt which was as good as when I opened it. The bad batches started w/in 3 months of buying that malt. It didn't taste good the day I opened it.

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53976 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

I haven't used the Barke but this fiasco has me burned on Weyermann I must say. I've been talking with a CS rep at Northern Brewer who said Weyermann has denied any problem with the malt. He said a couple weeks ago that he would send me enough for a batch and see if it was OK then replace the rest if it was. Haven't heard back after I told him to send 10lbs on 5-19.

He kept referring to a possible storage condition problem on my end or the age of the malt(~1.25yrs right now). My malt is stored inside the house in a cool closet under my stairs. I tie up the opened sacks, place them inside space bags and vacuum all the air out. I've used 3yr old malt which was as good as when I opened it. The bad batches started w/in 3 months of buying that malt. It didn't taste good the day I opened it.

I think it just makes me think that I would go elsewhere for pilsner malt because there are other options. This Barke Pils tastes really nice and I'm looking forward to making something good with it. I did cringe a little bit when I bought it thinking, "Here we go with the foreign [to me] Weyermann products again!". I haven't bought full sacks of grain that were bad so I'm not overly concerned but I don't want ANY bad malt. I told this lady that a number of people mentioned that the bad stuff is a little "dirty" and she knew exactly what I was talking about. I will post back about how the batches come out with the Barke. Cheers.

#56 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

So I opened the second bag of this stuff from the same order. Raw grain was pretty lifeless. I brewed a 1 gallon smash batch with it, 12ibus, acid malt to get mash pH at 5.2. S-189 yeast.

Just bottled it and a sample had the same nasty taste my 3 bad batches had. No malt sweetness, dirty dishwater flavor. Looks like the nail in the coffin on this one. I will allow the bottles to condition but I am not optismistic.

Customer service has been stringing me along for months on this. First promising to send me 10lbs for a test batch 3 mths ago and not doing it then promising to send me 2 replacement sacks. Thats been 1.5mths ago and no reply to my emails.

#57 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53976 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

Chils, that stinks. I am brewing today with Weyermann Barke Pils which is my new favorite pilsner malt... for now. I too have had some dodgy Weyermann pilsner malt but all of this Barke has been golden up to this point. Keep us posted.

#58 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

Chils, that stinks. I am brewing today with Weyermann Barke Pils which is my new favorite pilsner malt... for now. I too have had some dodgy Weyermann pilsner malt but all of this Barke has been golden up to this point. Keep us posted.

I'd like to try that Barke but Weyermann has just pissed me off royally over this. Currently have some Prostejov pils that I intend to try out. Raw flavor is underwhelming though.

#59 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

Seems like someone on the AHA forum mentioned some sub par Weyermann floor malted recently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users