23 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:45 AM

There are only a few times like a nice spring of fall day that I miss brewing outside.  It is real nice to brew in the winter inside, I do not miss freezing out in the snow.

13071705_10154978390199657_1707174475396

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53923 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:20 AM

Filter water on the front porch. Measure and mill grains in the garage. Mash in the kitchen. Clean & sanitize everything in the kitchen. Boil and chill in the garage. Rack to primary from kettle in the kitchen. I have brewed when it was 10° outside. Being in the garage with the kettle is not that bad. I have water right outside my garage back door and I just have to make sure to completely drain the hose when I'm done so I don't end up with a hose-cicle the next time I want to brew. Brewing in the basement like that would be cool and it would get around some pesky issues but I have no trouble being in the garage. Getting out of the kitchen would be a YOOOGE help though because everyone wants to come in there while I'm brewing.

#3 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

I brew in the garage. Ferment and serve in the basement.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

pretty much same deal here.  works out pretty well at my house.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

pretty much same deal here.  works out pretty well at my house.

This is what I used to do too but got tired of moving beer to the basement.  I even started to pump the beer through a window to my cellar but I got tired of having to move the full fermenter across the basement, call me lazy!

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

This is what I used to do too but got tired of moving beer to the basement.  I even started to pump the beer through a window to my cellar but I got tired of having to move the full fermenter across the basement, call me lazy!

I just found other ways around my laziness :D

I had similar problems.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53923 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

Picking up a kettle with 8 gallons of wort and moving it from the kitchen to the garage is getting harder. I have no trouble with it but it's a pain. I'm often carrying a primary up from the basement and into the kitchen or a secondary or primary from the kitchen to the basement. One day I'll have to switch to 2½ gallon batches. <_<

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

Picking up a kettle with 8 gallons of wort and moving it from the kitchen to the garage is getting harder. I have no trouble with it but it's a pain. I'm often carrying a primary up from the basement and into the kitchen or a secondary or primary from the kitchen to the basement. One day I'll have to switch to 2½ gallon batches. <_<

SYWM!!  Just split your batches!

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

It's funny how different people have different things they focus on.  your serving setup puts most to shame.  it's super awesome.  but it appears you've kept your brewing setup pretty manual.  now I also keep mine pretty manual but anywhere that I could make life a little bit easier for myself at minimal cost I did it.  Like I use water pressure from the faucet to fill up my HLT in place.  I use gravity to drain into the MT, the BK and ultimately the fermenter which I fill in place in the basement fermentation chamber.  I then use a cheap winch to lift my fermentor and then I use gravity again to transfer the beer.  at this point the beer is in 5 gal kegs which I either put right back into the ferm chamber or carry them across my basement to the beer fridge.  Lifting 5 gallons is pretty easy.  lifting 10 I think I would eventually bust a nut.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

Basement.  Everything is within a few steps.  Fermenters are on wheels - 10+ gallons.  Put a hoist up a couple years ago to move kegs from the conditioning/carbing freezer to the serving kegerator.  I usually try to schedule brew days when the weather is crappy.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

15 cu. ft. chest freezer added since this was taken...views of mountains and trees out the windows

DSCN0277.jpg

Edited by denny, 25 April 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

I have a good enough gas stove that I can pull off up to a 6 gallon batch in the kitchen. The hardest thing is carrying everything up from the basement and back down afterward.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

I brew on my FIL's back porch.

#14 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:06 PM

I used to brew in front of the garage, and then ferment in the walk-in, and serve from the walk-in, which is in the garage/basement, so it is all on one level.

I am in the process of building an electric brewery, which will be in the garage in a permanent location.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

I conduct all of my brewing in my basement except for the boil. I have a walk out basement and I put the burner right outside the door where I can check on the boil through the window. When the boil is over I lift the kettle through the door and dolly it to the back of the basement where I chill and do everything else right by the sink. I am also lucky enough to have a floor drain back there. My brewing space looks a bit like Drez's however it is probably less than half the size. 

#16 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

Everything is outside. To me, brewing is a good reason to hang out on the porch - I'd hate to give that up. We get enough nice winter days here that it's not a problem, year-round.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

Outside, but only March to November, I keep the outside water off in the winter

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

I know I have posted a few pics of my brew room in my build thread. I have the best of both worlds really. It's inside and under shelter but still feels outside. First pic shows my poolhouse that was a old horse barn that I have been fixing up for 8+ years. The door with the dartboard leads into the brew room. And second pic is looking in through the door way. So I am still basically outside but all my stuff is inside and out of rain. There is no climate control, but it's insulated and I just turn on a heater in the winter. But it usually doesn't get cold enough down here to bother me.

IMG_20160426_192739075_zpscjjmjj8e.jpg

IMG_20160426_192822733_zpskqk5kxpd.jpg

Edited by matt6150, 26 April 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#19 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

Heat water on the kitchen stovetop, mash sparge, chill in the kitchen, boil in the garage. Wine fridge ferm chamber is in the dining room. Pretty much only the boil and milling grain are done outside the house.

Edited by chils, 26 April 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:01 AM

I know I have posted a few pics of my brew room in my build thread. I have the best of both worlds really. It's inside and under shelter but still feels outside. First pic shows my poolhouse that was a old horse barn that I have been fixing up for 8+ years. The door with the dartboard leads into the brew room. And second pic is looking in through the door way. So I am still basically outside but all my stuff is inside and out of rain. There is no climate control, but it's insulated and I just turn on a heater in the winter. But it usually doesn't get cold enough down here to bother me.

IMG_20160426_192739075_zpscjjmjj8e.jpg

IMG_20160426_192822733_zpskqk5kxpd.jpg

beautiful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users