Photo
- - - - -

Any of you guys in the FB German Brewing group see the latest?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

The guys in there have dropped a freaking bomb. I'm going to ask Brandon if I can share the link.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Not on FB. A brewing bomb sounds good. Give us the skinny. 

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

the low O2 brewing thing? (a little bird may have PMed me something about this)

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 April 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

the low O2 brewing thing? (a little bird may have PMed me something about this)

Come on people, no need for secrets!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

I have no idea what I'm allowed to post now that Ken brought it up!

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Okay, with Brandon's blessing: BOMB. This will require a lot of adjustments to pull off... especially with my system. These guys have been working on this for almost a year from what I understand. I'm curious about Chil's, Schwanz and Denny's reaction to this among others.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

it seems to be lacking experimental evidence.

while we have brulosophy and others performing experiments that push things more into the "most shit just doesn't matter" direction these guys are heading in the completely opposite direction.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 April 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#8 bbrew

bbrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

it seems to be lacking experimental evidence.

while we have brulosophy and others performing experiments that push things more into the "most shit just doesn't matter" direction these guys are heading in the completely opposite direction.

I highly recommend you give it a try!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like 8-10 guys worked on this for a year so not sure if anything is lacking. Someone has been scrubbing old-school German brewing books and found a lot of evidence that once the pure, fresh character we want from the malt gets oxidized, you lose a lot of what you want to keep. Someone over there just mentioned to me that it's not only about not introducing off-flavors, it's about retaining flavors that get scrubbed out by O2. Once everyone [who is interested in this] has a chance to metabolize this, I would love to knock around some suggestions about how to incorporate this. As someone over there mentioned, "There is no halfway measure. You have to eliminate or practically eliminate O2 in the process or don't bother".

#10 bbrew

bbrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

Sounds like 8-10 guys worked on this for a year so not sure if anything is lacking. Someone has been scrubbing old-school German brewing books and found a lot of evidence that once the pure, fresh character we want from the malt gets oxidized, you lose a lot of what you want to keep. Someone over there just mentioned to me that it's not only about not introducing off-flavors, it's about retaining flavors that get scrubbed out by O2. Once everyone [who is interested in this] has a chance to metabolize this, I would love to knock around some suggestions about how to incorporate this. As someone over there mentioned, "There is no halfway measure. You have to eliminate or practically eliminate O2 in the process or don't bother".

Yup...we've been at this since last summer.  Tons of experiments and indeed...scrubbing German texts.  I was FED UP with shitty German beers in the US and we all found each other and figured it out.  It's really obvious once you read Kunze, Essinger, Narziss, Fix.  Clear as day.

That said...please try it, see what you think, adapt the processes, challenge us, and Kunze, Essinger, Narziss, George...we took it as far as we could before we realized we needed to get this out there.  I am super excited and think there's some great stuff here!

Brandon

Edited by bbrew, 25 April 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

I highly recommend you give it a try!

have you performed a triangle test?

as for the methods - I really have no way of pulling off what is called for in that write up without some fairly serious equipment purchases and change in process.  I have no doubt it can make great beer but how different is it really?  and is the difference detectible?  and if messing just one aspect up invalidates the rest of the efforts made I don't think I'm that interested.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 April 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

Ya know, with Bryan's condescending, snarky attitude, I don't really give a shit about anything they say.  Based on your synopsis and my own experience, BFD.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

Ya know, with Bryan's condescending, snarky attitude, I don't really give a shit about anything they say.  Based on your synopsis and my own experience, BFD.

I hate to say I saw this coming but... I saw this coming. :lol:

#14 bbrew

bbrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

I hate to say I saw this coming but... I saw this coming. :lol:

hahahaha, yes, predicted. :)  I'm not Bryan, I'm me. 

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

hahahaha, yes, predicted. :)  I'm not Bryan, I'm me.

Well, I think there are those people who have concluded that Bryan can be a little rough around the edges, no question. But I wouldn't discount this without at least trying to adapt my system to it and give it a try at least once. Of course I just made a helles on Saturday... <_<

#16 bbrew

bbrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

Well, I think there are those people who have concluded that Bryan can be a little rough around the edges, no question. But I wouldn't discount this without at least trying to adapt my system to it and give it a try at least once. Of course I just made a helles on Saturday... <_<

In fact, I'm brewing a Helles today.  And, this is a team of nice of us...I (and several of us) generally don't post to forums but this has been fun to work on and really enlightening.  Take it for what you want, use it or don't.  I'm not here to try to convince you of anything. 

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

No 34/70 .. I am out :)

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

No 34/70 .. I am out :)

Nancy. :lol:

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

Good info, and nice work! I am going to digest this later when I get some more time.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

In fact, I'm brewing a Helles today.  And, this is a team of nice of us...I (and several of us) generally don't post to forums but this has been fun to work on and really enlightening.  Take it for what you want, use it or don't.  I'm not here to try to convince you of anything. 

did you guys perform any experiments?  unless a change is easy to make (and this one isn't) I don't just try stuff on a whim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users