• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

I had a real good Galaxy IPA when I got together with DG, Schwanz and Buzz the other week, it's kind been playing on my mind since then. Not sure i want to do a single hop beer, but it seems like it would go well with cascade. I was thinking something like this without tinkering with it too much:

10# two row

14 oz Crystal 80

2-4 oz Carapils

1 oz cascade @ 60min

1.5 oz cascade @ 10min

1 oz Galaxy @ flameout

.5 oz cascade @ flameout

1.5 oz cascade dry hop

1.5 oz galaxy dry hop

White Labs California Ale

Thoughts?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

Just my opinion here.

Less crystal, no more than 8oz and mash around 150.  I would also double the flame out hops and go an even 2 oz each for dryhops. 

Poor formatting on teh first post but some good info in here for a simple galaxy beer.  https://www.brews-br...-bitter-galaxy/

I also think you could just to a smash with 2-row and galaxy and have a fine beer.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

I like the bitter galaxy but you need to prepare yourself for a pretty light beer in terms of body.  it's a hop vehicle.  it's also very drinkable.

I agree I'd cut back the C80 to 8 oz though.  I would also consider a lighter crystal instead of C80 but that's personal preference.  I like the carapils where it is.

the 3oz of dry hop might be good but it's hard to say.  it depends on your dry hop methods and desired outcomes.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

I like the bitter galaxy but you need to prepare yourself for a pretty light beer in terms of body.  it's a hop vehicle.  it's also very drinkable.

I agree I'd cut back the C80 to 8 oz though.  I would also consider a lighter crystal instead of C80 but that's personal preference.  I like the carapils where it is.

the 3oz of dry hop might be good but it's hard to say.  it depends on your dry hop methods and desired outcomes.

Go big or go to New Homoco  :D 

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

IMO, the crystal amount is fine.  That's about my usual ratio.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

IMO, the crystal amount is fine.  That's about my usual ratio.

even going up to a pound can be okay and I've done it many times.  I've just found I usually prefer a little less these days.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

Galaxy will make a fantastic IPA all on its own. It will pair beautifully with cascade too. If I had to pick one flavor/aroma hop for the rest of my life Galaxy might be it. Used 50/50 Galaxy will be the more dominant hop in the mix but some cascade will come through too. 

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Just my observation but with some of the new, fruity, hops I find they add a sweetness to the beer themselves and too much crystal seems to make the beer too sweet.  Just my observation and that is why I have settled on .5# for my house APA.  Everyone's tastes are different, I get that.

#9 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts

I don't want to go too heavy in terms of ABV. While I do like the bigger beers,it's starting to get hot here and I'm thinking more of a summery APA in the 5% MOL range.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16629 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

Just my observation but with some of the new, fruity, hops I find they add a sweetness to the beer themselves and too much crystal seems to make the beer too sweet.  Just my observation and that is why I have settled on .5# for my house APA.  Everyone's tastes are different, I get that.

I'll definitely echo this. There is a definite sweet perception coming from these fruity hops.

#11 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts

A fair point, to be sure. This is just very rough strokes at this point.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

I don't want to go too heavy in terms of ABV. While I do like the bigger beers,it's starting to get hot here and I'm thinking more of a summery APA in the 5% MOL range.

that sounds like a little more reason to back off the crystal then.  but then again I drink stout in the summer and helles in the winter :P

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

A fair point, to be sure. This is just very rough strokes at this point.

Here is the grain bill I like, I have replaced the pils with Two row and the beer is equally as good, hell now I only boil it for 30 minutes and whirlpool for 20-30.  I use this with all different hop combos, just a point of reference for you.

good luck!

Edited by drez77, 25 April 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#14 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

Here is the grain bill I like, I have replaced the pils with Two row and the beer is equally as good, hell now I only boil it for 30 minutes and whirlpool for 20-30.  I use this with all different hop combos, just a point of reference for you.

good luck!

Good lookin' out, fam.

:cheers:

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

Fury, if you're looking for something a bit lighter for the warmer weather ahead, I'd opt for C-40 (or lighter), in the same amount listed in the OP, in lieu of C-80.

Just a thought.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

I'll definitely echo this. There is a definite sweet perception coming from these fruity hops.

Yep, which is why I don't like most of them.

#17 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

Fury, if you're looking for something a bit lighter for the warmer weather ahead, I'd opt for C-40 (or lighter), in the same amount listed in the OP, in lieu of C-80.

Just a thought.

and a good one at that

#18 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:05 PM

and a good one at that

:cheers:

#19 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

I am in the cut the crystal camp back to .5# which is probably not a surprise. I am big fan of Galaxy and a simple pale ale in the 5% range with heavy late/dry Galaxy hopping would be nice.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

but then again I drink stout in the summer and helles in the winter :P

my brother!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users