#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

I agree that a lighter crystal @ about 12 oz would be nice, I like caramunich for this but regular c40 or even c20 is nice.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

Even with a lighter crystal I and still at half a pound.

#23 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

Them PNW guys like different IPA than we do, Boneyard is pretty good though.

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

Them PNW guys like different IPA than we do, Boneyard is pretty good though.

all in good fun, I use less than I used to.

#25 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

That is good ;) But there is nothing wrong with different tastes, the PNW IPAs tend to be malty with a big hop bitterness. NEIPA used to be more British but has turned into the hazy "juicy" new age hop with low upfront bitterness and a soft malt profile.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16582 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

Yep, which is why I don't like most of them.

But I know you like Galaxy!

To my tastes the mid-color crystals (35-65L) are generally a bit sweeter than lighter or darker ones. Cutting back on the crystal when using these fruity hops can really help.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:53 AM

really light crystal I do tend to up the amount a little bit.  everyone has their preferences of course.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:44 AM

really light crystal I do tend to up the amount a little bit.  everyone has their preferences of course.

Just my observation but with some of the new, fruity, hops I find they add a sweetness to the beer themselves and too much crystal seems to make the beer too sweet.  Just my observation and that is why I have settled on .5# for my house APA.  Everyone's tastes are different, I get that.

Preach it!! :cheers:

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16582 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:53 AM

really light crystal I do tend to up the amount a little bit.

I haven't done that but I could see where that might work for me as the light crystals I have used come across less sweet. Lots of differences between similar color malts from different maltsters too. A few months back I used 0.5#/ 6gal. Great Western C40 in place of the Carastan (37L) that I frequently use in a pale ale. It had a very pleasant caramel flavor but had a very defined sweet note to it in a beer that was well attenuated.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:17 AM

I haven't done that but I could see where that might work for me as the light crystals I have used come across less sweet. Lots of differences between similar color malts from different maltsters too. A few months back I used 0.5#/ 6gal. Great Western C40 in place of the Carastan (37L) that I frequently use in a pale ale. It had a very pleasant caramel flavor but had a very defined sweet note to it in a beer that was well attenuated.

agreed on the differences there.

I made a moderate gravity beer that was golden promise with 1lb of C15 (5 gal batch).  it did not come across as sweet at all.  I think when you get down to that light of a crystal it's kind of half way between carapils and what we typically associate with crystal sweetness.

#31 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:24 AM

indeed, I noticed the exact same difference, Carastan has been my go to ligh crystal for several years, so perhaps that's why I'm not afraid to use a pound in a batch.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

been really digging cav's bitter galaxy recipe lately.  also had another local beer with galaxy that I really liked.  I think it's one of my new favs.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

I had 2 kegs kick this weekend unexpectedly and I stumbled upon the keg of Galaxy bitter that I dryhopped with Galaxy and azacca.  I was not thrilled with this one when I brewed it but the sample I took yesterday was fine so whatever offending flavor I did not like was gone and I expect this one to be nice.

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16582 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

It might be my favorite hop. (At least until I say that about another hop) Just brewed an IPA with 2:1 Galaxy:Cascade a few days ago that I am really looking forward to.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

well I'll def be buying another pound this year.  I see myself using this in a lot of beers.

#36 cavman

cavman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:24 AM

Hill Farmstead Double Galaxy was the first beer I had with Galaxy when a local brewpub had a keg for Brewers there but as a known guy the master brewer poured me some. That was before it was available to home brewers in the US, I ordered a pound from an Aussie shop at the bar that night and it is my favorite hop still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users