Photo
- - - - -

any info on spunding valves for corny kegs?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'm generally consistent.

how would you avoid the trub when you jump kegs?  shortened dip tube?

Or you could run some off with a picnic tap.

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:54 AM

into my mouf?

#43 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16599 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

That's what I have done.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

I'm generally consistent.

how would you avoid the trub when you jump kegs?  shortened dip tube?

yes.  I have cut diptubes to avoid that. 

I have done this too but now with picnic taps but a corny disconnect but same idea.

#45 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

into my mouf?

Yup! Probiotic beer farts

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

That's what I have done.

once you do that why jump kegs?  haven't you removed all of the junk pretty much?

#47 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

once you do that why jump kegs?  haven't you removed all of the junk pretty much?

There's still a good amount of trub in the bottom. If the keg is being consumed at my house, I wouldn't bother jumping it. I only jump beers that will be transported and served the same day. 

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

For me i will do it because that is not all the crap in the keg and if I move that keg it would get messy. 

#49 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16599 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

No just the junk nearest the dip tube. If you ever want to move the keg it will be beneficial. Or if you don't like to leave the beer on dry hops in the keg.

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

For me i will do it because that is not all the crap in the keg and if I move that keg it would get messy. 

I rarely move them.  I see what you guys mean though.

#51 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

I probably could convince myself to jump kegs if I wanted to dry hop completely post fermentation.  this might allow me to mostly purge the hops of O2 by dropping them into a purged keg and letting the gas stratify a bit (if it even does).

I have some suspicions that dry hopping before the yeast drops out might be less than ideal.

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

I probably could convince myself to jump kegs if I wanted to dry hop completely post fermentation.  this might allow me to mostly purge the hops of O2 by dropping them into a purged keg and letting the gas stratify a bit (if it even does).

I have some suspicions that dry hopping before the yeast drops out might be less than ideal.

I have dry hopped in a brite tank with no issues.  My SOP was to add 2T of Bio-fine with teh dry hops.  Beer came out clear with a great aroma.  I will be goign back to this for my next few hoppy beers.  Just got a liter of bio-fine so I am set for a bit.

#53 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

I have dry hopped in a brite tank with no issues.  My SOP was to add 2T of Bio-fine with teh dry hops.  Beer came out clear with a great aroma.  I will be goign back to this for my next few hoppy beers.  Just got a liter of bio-fine so I am set for a bit.

I was trying to think of a way to rid the hops of O2.  b/c post fermentation is a place where I think it really does matter.  I won't write a scientific looking paper on it though ;)

#54 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

I was trying to think of a way to rid the hops of O2.  b/c post fermentation is a place where I think it really does matter.  I won't write a scientific looking paper on it though ;)

Honest question.  How much O2 do pellet hops have?

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

Honest question.  How much O2 do pellet hops have?

I'm mostly thinking of the mesh bag or whatever filtering device I'm using is full of air and as I lower it into the beer I'm introducing a bunch of O2.  maybe not???

#56 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16599 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:10 PM

Clarify in one keg and then transfer to another where the hops were added in a bag and *then* the tank was purged.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:16 PM

Clarify in one keg and then transfer to another where the hops were added in a bag and *then* the tank was purged.

how do you purge a keg effectively without having liquid (I usually use starsan) in it to push out.  otherwise it seems like I'm just mixing a bunch of air with a bunch of CO2.  so it's less O2 but still a good amount I think.

#58 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16599 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

Well I usually push out the starsan through a picnic tap, so thats gone. Next I flush/pressurize the keg with CO2 and let it sit a bit before pulling the PRV and refilling with CO2. Maybe repeat one more time to get all the air out. You could also put a liquid QD on your CO2 line and flush from the bottom of the keg.

#59 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

Well I usually push out the starsan through a picnic tap, so thats gone. Next I flush/pressurize the keg with CO2 and let it sit a bit before pulling the PRV and refilling with CO2. Maybe repeat one more time to get all the air out. You could also put a liquid QD on your CO2 line and flush from the bottom of the keg.

I have one dedicated line coming off the kegerator manifold for this.  That's what I do except with the lid off.  I fill immediately after.  The sound of CO2 going into the bottom of the keg changes pitch as it displaces air.  And then I fill with a sanitized hose from the bottom up.  Works here.

#60 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

I have one dedicated line coming off the kegerator manifold for this. That's what I do except with the lid off. I fill immediately after. The sound of CO2 going into the bottom of the keg changes pitch as it displaces air. And then I fill with a sanitized hose from the bottom up. Works here.

This is exactly what I do as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users