Photo
- - - - -

Anyone care to share their most recent Alt recipe?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

One of the guys I email back and forth with asked me if I had a good Alt recipe. It's not a style I have put a lot of work into so I'm checking in with BlKtRe and DJ (and everyone else) to see if they would share their latest, most-awesome alt recipes. I did send him some links to older threads but just checking to see if anything new is available. Thanks and cheers.

#2 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

One of the guys I email back and forth with asked me if I had a good Alt recipe. It's not a style I have put a lot of work into so I'm checking in with BlKtRe and DJ (and everyone else) to see if they would share their latest, most-awesome alt recipes. I did send him some links to older threads but just checking to see if anything new is available. Thanks and cheers.

Brauer brews a lot of Alt/Alt-like beers, but the recipe forum isn't really where he hangs out.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

I can go back through my notes.  Sadly I have not made on for a while.  Well, one I was happy with.  Made one with 1056 a while back.  It was not worthy.  I don't blame the yeast but it ended up being dumped.

Nothing new though if you found the old threads.  I need to brew that style again.  Been in a repetitive rut.

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

I've got an Altbier-ish recipe I've been tinkering with; will be brewing within the month or so.

It will feature Liberty hops, along with a grain bill of Munich, some pils, and a dash of Carafa-3, so I don't know how authentic it will be (probably not very, at least in terms of the hops).

I will be brewing it this time with US-05 (no 1007 on hand), so I guess it will be an American Altbier, something or other.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

Change the yeast and my Dunkel would make a good alt
https://www.brews-br...-munich-dunkel/

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thanks gang. I think this guy is looking for "authentic" and Chils, I was thinking that the ingredients in a Dunkel could work in an alt although the hops and yeast might be changed and it might not be as dark. Dark Munich, pilsner, some Carafa... what hops? Perle? A good, firm bitterness and then personal choice on hops later. 1007 would be my choice on yeast, personally. Thanks again.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

Thanks gang. I think this guy is looking for "authentic" and Chils, I was thinking that the ingredients in a Dunkel could work in an alt although the hops and yeast might be changed and it might not be as dark. Dark Munich, pilsner, some Carafa... what hops? Perle? A good, firm bitterness and then personal choice on hops later. 1007 would be my choice on yeast, personally. Thanks again.

I always thought spalt was the way to go for alt hops.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

I like a mix of pils and light munich + carafa spec for color.  1007 for the yeast for sure.  never got around to trying spalt but I have also heard that is ideal for hops.  as for me I just use german magnum and hallertau.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

I happen to have "Beer Styles from Around the World" by Horst Dornbusch here.

For Dusseldorfer he has a few recipes:

1)

63% pils

30% munich I

5% carared

2% carafa spec I

spalt at 60 and 10 mins.

2)

96% pils

2.5% caramunich I

1.5% carafa spec I

mittelfruh @ 60 min

perle @ 60 min

spalt @ 20 min

3)

72.5% pils

18.5 % munich II

9% wheat

mittelfruh @ 60

mittelfruh @ flameout

tettnanger @ whirlpool

he also has some for westphalian and sticke as well if anyone wants them.  sorry I didn't include the hop amounts.  they are in grams per hectoliter so I would want to convert them for you guys.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

True, true... Spalt works well here too. So it looks like hops added later including at 20, 10 and flameout/whirpool... interesting. Thanks kids, much appreciated.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:47 PM

I should have taken better notes when I was in Duesseldorf ☺️

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

Denny, dj, blktre, Keller will have great alt recipes, and Zymot

#13 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:38 AM

1)

63% pils

30% munich I

5% carared

2% carafa spec I

2)

96% pils

2.5% caramunich I

1.5% carafa spec I

3)

72.5% pils

18.5 % munich II

9% wheat

I recently brewed what amounts to recipe 2 most recently and have to say it was fine, but not as richly malty as I expect for the style. My previous batches had very high percentages of Munich and I have to say that they were overly malty. I believe that something along the lines of recipe 1 is going to be closer to what I expect in an Alt. 

I do like using Spalt in Alt, but with the very low alphas that you can get that hop with, its probably not appropriate to try to get all your bittering with Spalt these days. You would end up with a huge amount of hop matter in the kettle and that can affect flavor. I suggest a small dose of Magnum to get much of the bittering needed for the style and then add appropriate doses of Spalt finishing hops.

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

My vote is still 100% red x. I think it makes a fine alt. I use hallertau as I prefer its flavor to spalt.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

I recently brewed what amounts to recipe 2 most recently and have to say it was fine, but not as richly malty as I expect for the style. My previous batches had very high percentages of Munich and I have to say that they were overly malty. I believe that something along the lines of recipe 1 is going to be closer to what I expect in an Alt. 

I do like using Spalt in Alt, but with the very low alphas that you can get that hop with, its probably not appropriate to try to get all your bittering with Spalt these days. You would end up with a huge amount of hop matter in the kettle and that can affect flavor. I suggest a small dose of Magnum to get much of the bittering needed for the style and then add appropriate doses of Spalt finishing hops.

in the past I've done something close to recipe 1 although without the carared and with hallertau instead of spalt.  I def agree on the bittering.  I like to use something like magnum with a little hallertau mixed in.

I should also add there are notes with those recipes regarding step mashes and the like.  if someone really wants to try one as specified let me know and I'll post the details.  :cheers:

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

1 and 3 would seem to jive with more of what I remember tasting over there over 2.  They were much less Munich driven than I would expect. 

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

I agree with both points. I tried a 100% Munich altbier one time and it was way too malty. In addition, the Munich was a black hole for hops. So I think the Munich needs to be cut with some pils.

I also agree that Magnum or whatever your favorite clean bittering hops are should be used for bittering. If you want some hops character you can add your Spalt or whatever later in the boil.

Keller's alt recipe was very good as I recall. Mine is very similar to his and DJ's is good too.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Mine is close to the Uerige recipe that has been posted here before, I'm sure. Here's one i made, close to recipe 2 above:
Mash 149°F and 158°F, 30 min. ea.
Hallertau, Perle, or Spalt. About 35 IBU, with an addition around 20 min.
OG of 1.048, FG of 1.009.
1007 is a great choice, but I usually use WLP011. Primary at 58-60°F, rising to mid-60's to finish. Refrigerate for 7-14 days, until clear. Serve.

Scaled for 80% efficiency:
8.5 lb Pilsner Malt
2.5 oz German CaraMunich III
1.75 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt
1 oz Perle (7.5%) - 60 min
1 oz Spalt (5.0%) - 20 min

I might not have that first addition exactly right, but you'll need to adjust that, anyway, and you'll need to adjust the Pilsner malt to your efficiency. A 2 min. addition is also nice. Color can behave quite differently between systems, when you are adding so little color malt, so no promises that will give you the color you want your Alt to be.

I also really like the same recipe with a pound or two of Munich malt swapped in, in which case I usually leave out the Caramunich.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Duss Alt

62.5% Pils

26.8% Munich 10L

9% Caramunich III (57L)

1.7% Dehusked Carafa III (470L)

Single Infusion mash @ 150

39 IBU

Nugget @ 60 to 30IBU

Whatever Noble Hop I have available 9 IBU @ 20 Min

WYeast 1007 @ 56

I use the fast ferment method and start ramping temps on day 3 or 4 by 3 degrees per 12 hours until I get to 68. Then I let it finish there.

Won several gold medals with this recipe. It's fecking tasty, but you have to gel the shit out of it to get it to clear.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

Looks like me and Chils think alike...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users