Photo
- - - - -

Anyone care to share their most recent Alt recipe?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

I hear that. Thanks for the reply. I am treating this sort of like a helles in that it should "feel malty" but finish dry. I plan to achieve the dry finish with the 1007 yeast (a high attenuater), a balanced water profile and a relatively low mash temp (150 on my system is used for helles too). The maltiness will come from the Munich and probably from the CaraMunich which you've convinced me to lower to 3 ounces or so... seems totally reasonable. I think I'm making this beer on Saturday. Thanks to all for the direction on a style I like but don't make often enough. Cheers.

What I would recommend is to use little enough Crystal Malt that you can't detect it. Once you can distinguish Crystal Malt's caramel flavors, it probably doesn't taste like an Alt, anymore. Of course, that begs the question of 'why add it'. The Alt that is often considered to be one of the best doesn't have any. I would decide how much you want to use, then use a little less.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:52 AM

What I would recommend is to use little enough Crystal Malt that you can't detect it. Once you can distinguish Crystal Malt's caramel flavors, it probably doesn't taste like an Alt, anymore. Of course, that begs the question of 'why add it'. The Alt that is often considered to be one of the best doesn't have any. I would decide how much you want to use, then use a little less.

Excellent point. Cheers and thanks.

#43 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

I've always wanted to make Denny's Milo's Alt
https://hbd.org/club...es/recipes.html

It's Americanized, but I love that beer.

Excellent point. Cheers and thanks.

IMO, there is no need for crystal in an alt.

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

IMO, there is no need for crystal in an alt.

I agree. Having looked at many German recipes and talking with many people who like to make German beers, it seems like the Germans are just not big fans of crystal malts, in general. I do set some of this aside occasionally and just go with the motto that "good beer is good beer" but I don't overdo that. This is why I asked earlier in the thread if crystal was a no-no in an altbier.

#45 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

I agree. Having looked at many German recipes and talking with many people who like to make German beers, it seems like the Germans are just not big fans of crystal malts, in general. I do set some of this aside occasionally and just go with the motto that "good beer is good beer" but I don't overdo that. This is why I asked earlier in the thread if crystal was a no-no in an altbier.

my German heritage shows even if I don't brew many German styles.

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

my German heritage shows even if I don't brew many German styles.

Mine too. I tend to make almost every style with some type of German slant whether it's pilsner malt, Vienna or Munich or some German hops or yeast. On the topic of crystal malts, I know that some people are very much against it. Generally I use it sparingly and in recipes where I used more of it, I have adjusted the crystal malt downwards. I like beers that finish clean and dry with as little cloying crystal in the finish as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users