Photo
- - - - -

A separate conversation: Low-O2 brewing...

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#181 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

Pm me your info and I'll send you some.

#182 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

I'll pm you my info as well, are you cross shipping or do you want the moolah up front?

#183 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

I'll figure out the shipping when I get that far. No need for moolah up front.

#184 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

3lbs are in at the shop. I have 5 names and addresses to to send stuff to. I probably won't ship it out until next week.

I have PM's from

• Evil_morty
  • neddles
  • chils
  • mtnbrewer
  • drez

Mic, did you want some?

#185 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

Two 50g bags of this just arrived in the mail yesterday. The Aussies sent me a Brewtan data sheet along with it and it contains a lot of the same information that we have seen. At some point next week I plan to brew something and use it the way that Denny outlined (½ tsp mash, ¼ tsp with 5 mins left in the boil or the other way around, I forget now) and see how that goes. Did someone say to keep this stuff closed up tight?

#186 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

Two 50g bags of this just arrived in the mail yesterday. The Aussies sent me a Brewtan data sheet along with it and it contains a lot of the same information that we have seen. At some point next week I plan to brew something and use it the way that Denny outlined (½ tsp mash, ¼ tsp with 5 mins left in the boil or the other way around, I forget now) and see how that goes. Did someone say to keep this stuff closed up tight?

Trying to lower the oxygen exposure? :P

#187 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

it probably wouldn't hurt to keep it in the freezer, but I'd read the MSDS or whatever literature that came with it carefully and follow their instructions.

#188 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

it probably wouldn't hurt to keep it in the freezer, but I'd read the MSDS or whatever literature that came with it carefully and follow their instructions.

It did come vacuum-sealed so I think a container with a tight-fitting lid would work. I used to get schputzy calcium chloride after awhile (it gets sort of mushy) so I used an old, small PBW container I had, cleaned it out and put the CaCl in there and closed the lid tight. It works nicely. I'll have to do something similar here.

#189 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

I'll probably just use a mason jar

#190 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

1/4 tsp. in the strike water, not the mash.  1/2 tsp. mixed in a slurry for the last 15 min. of the boil.

It did come vacuum-sealed so I think a container with a tight-fitting lid would work. I used to get schputzy calcium chloride after awhile (it gets sort of mushy) so I used an old, small PBW container I had, cleaned it out and put the CaCl in there and closed the lid tight. It works nicely. I'll have to do something similar here.

I just folded the top over a few times and clipped it shut.

#191 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

I have 3 lbs of this stuff. Good news is that it's not white powder, its tan. Kinda makes sense... 

I'll be shipping the baggies off this week., probably tomorrow or wednesday. We're kinda having a tropical storm in the next 18-24 hours so I might wait until that passes. 

#192 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

Heroin is tan I think
BTW, Brewtan B used to be called Tanal B according to wyeast, so I guess it has been around for quite a while

#193 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

I just doughed in my first beer with Brewtan B. I should have saved some of my last batch of Helles for comparison.

#194 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

Don't recall i I posted this, but the batch of Rye IPA I did with Brewtan had the clearest runoff I've ever seen.  I could literally read a paper through it.  I can't swear it was due to the Brewtan, but I've made that beer a lot and never seen that.

#195 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

I have 3 lbs of this stuff. Good news is that it's not white powder, its tan. Kinda makes sense... 

I'll be shipping the baggies off this week., probably tomorrow or wednesday. We're kinda having a tropical storm in the next 18-24 hours so I might wait until that passes. 

Post up a cost and I'll get $$ in the mail ASAP

#196 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

Looking like wednesday send out. Its flooding all over the place.

#197 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:35 AM

Looking like wednesday send out. Its flooding all over the place.

So are you using the brewtan to keep the flood waters LoDo?  :)

#198 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

So are you using the brewtan to keep the flood waters LoDo?  :)

No, that would be bad for the fishies.

#199 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

I'm outlining some low-O2 steps here now that I have things in place for this. The Brewtan will be a part of my brewday unless I get to the point where I think it's not contributing anything. It's easy enough to do but if it appears that it's doing NOTHING or I actually encounter a downside, I will skip it. I also plan to brew on a shorter timeframe which would get beers from grain to glass quicker. This would mean going directly from primary to keg and skipping secondary where I may have picked up more O2 than desired. One drawback I see from this is that if I have a window where I'm unable to brew, there is a better likelihood of running short on beer. Another drawback I see is that I may not get the clarity I usually do. The last few batches I have sent to kegs, then chilled, then added a gel solution and then carbed. I know there has been some talk about gel stripping out dry hop character so if I have a dry-hopped beer I will either skip the gel or live with the consequences. I don't think my expectations for outrageous hop character are the same as some of you so I may just not experience the same 'stripping' effect you guys do. In the rare instance that I have to send a beer to secondary, I did put this happy little device together thanks to those who posted these keg parts...

53lrwz.jpg

That would allow me to purge the Better Bottle with the hopes of keeping things low-O2. If the Brewtan does what it's supposed to, these two measures may help as long as I don't keep something in secondary a long time. Also, I did pick up the spunding valve...

2n7molv.jpg

I'm not fully up to speed on how to use this but I know you want to move the beer to the keg while fermentation is going and use that CO2 being produced in the last part of fermentation to carb the beer. We'll see how that goes.

So those new processes plus the SS chiller are where I'm at now. I made a helles with 2352 (a GOOD one) where I used 25% distilled water to lower sulfate and it happened to be one of the best versions of this beer that I have made. I'm going to start using 25% distilled on all "soft, finesse" beers and Czech Pils would be one spot with helles and maybe some sort of cream ale or American Lager being some others. The keg went fast plus we had people over 2 weekends in a row and that nice helles was tapped out on Sunday when we had the grad party. Oh... and I did order that Omega Bayern Lager yeast from Ritebrew and it should be arriving one day this week. Cheers peeps.

#200 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:52 PM

Ken, are you going to do separate batches and blind tastings to confirm LODO is working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users