#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

Midnight wheat is reputed to be just the ticket for adding color without adding roast charachter.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yes, 550l. A small amount goes a long way. Grind it separate in a coffee grinder and add it in a small amount at a time to get to your color. Or sinamar :-)

#23 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:35 PM

Jub, I just pulled a few ozs of this beer and it has very subtle dark malt flavor. More toasty than roasty and that could be the Vienna as well as the 150L crystal. I doubt a few ozs with pils would come thru much at all.

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:18 AM

Yes, 550l. A small amount goes a long way. Grind it separate in a coffee grinder and add it in a small amount at a time to get to your color. Or sinamar :-)

I sprinkle the grounds on top of the grain at the end of the mash. Like you said, I recirc for a bit to check color and add a bit more if needed.

#25 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Boys, this recipe is a winner. Had a few bad flavors right after carbing but that went away and now I'm left with the best black beer I've yet brewed. Malty, chocolatey, bready. I'm digging this one. Wife picked up my glass and promptly chugged 1/4 in one gulp. Looks black until held up to the light.

BjpGQbl.jpg

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

Yum, looks nice. So the "Zurich Lager yeast" is the S-189? That would answer my question about how that yeast would fare in a dark beer. Very good to know. I love beers like this, btw. Do you taste any of the Columbus in the final beer? I probably would not use Columbus but that's only because there are so many nice, clean bittering hops I would rather use in a style like this. Nicely done beer man! :D

#27 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

Yum, looks nice. So the "Zurich Lager yeast" is the S-189? That would answer my question about how that yeast would fare in a dark beer. Very good to know. I love beers like this, btw. Do you taste any of the Columbus in the final beer? I probably would not use Columbus but that's only because there are so many nice, clean bittering hops I would rather use in a style like this. Nicely done beer man! :D

Yep, S-189. Denny was right on using it for maltier styles. No CTZ hop character noted except a slight floral character from the Saaz. I usually feel the need to tweak a recipe but I won't need to on this one. I will probably keep it in the stable as is. Nothing I would change.

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

6 ounces of midnight wheat is quite a bit. I have used up to 3 ounces or so of German Carafa Special III which makes a VERY dark beer, IMO. Plus you had another 6 ounces of CaraAroma which is what... in the 80-90L range? Mmm, dark.

#29 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

6 ounces of midnight wheat is quite a bit. I have used up to 3 ounces or so of German Carafa Special III which makes a VERY dark beer, IMO. Plus you had another 6 ounces of CaraAroma which is what... in the 80-90L range? Mmm, dark.

Caraaroma is 130L. I think of it like Spec B. With the all Vienna base, this sucker is malty, toasty and just right in sweetness.

ETA: 7 gallon batch Ken.

Edited by chils, 22 June 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

ETA: 7 gallon batch Ken.

Oh yeah, good point.

#31 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

Looks good doggie - gonna steal that recipe in a couple weeks after I get another chance to brew

Will have to look for S-189

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users