#21 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:15 PM

I'm getting ready to keg a late-hopped Pale Lager I made with that yeast at 63°F. I've made good, clean beers in that range before. I have got a little, pleasant fruitiness once when I under pitched and fermented at 65°F. Might have peaked a little higher.

I did 2 batches of a 1554 clone back to back with it. I felt the one fermented at 60f was too clean so I fermented the next àt 68f. The one at 68 had some esters that the other did not. Still cleaner than ale yeast fermented at 62f.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

I did 2 batches of a 1554 clone back to back with it. I felt the one fermented at 60f was too clean so I fermented the next àt 68f. The one at 68 had some esters that the other did not. Still cleaner than ale yeast fermented at 62f.

there is a pleasant ester there, similar to kolsch

#23 jubuttib

jubuttib

Emperor of Finland, Estonia, and Detroit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Jub, you should really pursue getting your ferm temp under control. It is one of the fundamental things in brewing good beer. I use a wine fridge with a homebuilt STC-1000 controller. It takes up the same amt of space as a mini fridge. The above mentioned solutions will work as well.

I know, I'm working on it. I just started last October and have been able to control temps quite accurately thus far with the "window and radiator" method (checking temps every few hours or so and always making only minute adjustments, no wild variations ever), but now it's just gotten too hot for that. I do have a fridge I can use lined up (but it's not here yet), and I'm looking for a good place to buy an STC-1000 from that doesn't gouge me with the shipping (and is within EU because everything outside gets stuck in the frigging customs these days and triples the price). It's just a matter of time and money, not whether I will do it or not. =)

#24 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

Some nice brew brother should send you a care package

#25 jubuttib

jubuttib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

Hehe, thank's. I appreciate the thought but overseas shipping is a killer, plus it'll need to be a 220V model anyway. They're not too expensive here, just gotta find the cheapest shipping.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

so did you decide on the direction you are going to head?  I have to admit it's hard for me to point you in a direction with only a little guidance.  I'm much better at refining an existing idea.

#27 jubuttib

jubuttib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

so did you decide on the direction you are going to head?  I have to admit it's hard for me to point you in a direction with only a little guidance.  I'm much better at refining an existing idea.

I think I'm actually going to go with chils' lager suggestion. I found an eBay seller with a good reputation and low shipping costs and will probably order the STC-1000 within the next month, a lager would be a good trial run with it after all.

Thanks to everyone who took part in this thread, I'll report back when there's something to say. =)

#28 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

I think I'm actually going to go with chils' lager suggestion.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The recipe I built for you is similar to one of my standard recipes. This one: https://www.brews-br...py-german-pils/

The only thing I'm not sure about is Spalt's flavor. I use Spalt Select which is a bit different in flavor than regular Spalt. I would take a few pellets or cones and smash them up and get a good whiff of them. If they smell pleasant then I'd use them.

#29 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

Jub, do you have any idea about your water composition? May need some acid malt added to keep pH low enough in the mash. Just another step towards making great beer.

#30 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Jub, do you have any idea about your water composition? May need some acid malt added to keep pH low enough in the mash. Just another step towards making great beer.

I imagine shipping a sample to Ward Labs from Finland is cost prohibitive.

+1 on the acid malt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users