5 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Anything wrong with building up a starter and after it is all done to mix it all up and pour in into several mason  jars?  I tend to do the shaken not stirred starter these days and that does not allow for over building and with hoppy beers I tend not to want to save the yeast so my plan was to just do a starter and save it in 4 mason jars.  I assume I am over thinking this.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Anything wrong with building up a starter and after it is all done to mix it all up and pour in into several mason  jars?  I tend to do the shaken not stirred starter these days and that does not allow for over building and with hoppy beers I tend not to want to save the yeast so my plan was to just do a starter and save it in 4 mason jars.  I assume I am over thinking this.

Your plan is solid. I have split the first starter several times with good success. I write down the estimated number of cells and the date of harvest on each jar for reference when I go to build another starter from them.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

that's essentially what I used to do to save yeast except part of the starter would be used immediately.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

That's what I do. I make a starter and split it in two. Put half in a mason jar for later and the other half I make a new/bigger starter that I will pitch.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Thank you all for letting me know I am not going crazy, at least for today!

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

My starters are usually 2.75L.  2.5L gets pitched and 500ml gets saved for the next one.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users