#1 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

I don't generally like PAs, but had one at Lunkenheimer's Brewery in Weedsport, NY that was fantastic. Talked to the brewer a little bit and came up with this. Any suggestions welcome! TIA

10 lb US 2-row

0.5 lb C40

0.5 lb C60

0.75 oz simcoe 60 min

0.5 oz mosaic 15 min

0.5 oz mosaic 5 min

US 05

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

I might cut back on the C60 to 0.25 lbs or if the gravity isn't that high just leave it alone.  could really go either way.

I would personally at least double if not triple the amount of mosaic.  I might even do a couple of oz of dry hop with mosiac on top of that.  I really like hoppy APAs though.  as it is you'll have a very drinkable beer but I'm not sure how much of that mosiac you'll be tasting.

#3 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

I'd eliminate the C60 and up the late hops

#4 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

So remember, I'm not a huge hop fan at all, BUT this particular beer the brewer told me had simcoe and mosaic though he didn't give me the schedule. He did say dry hopping too, but I've never done that so I'm a little afraid. So if I eliminate the C60, I could up the base malt a little to get the ABV back up around 5.7%? And double or triple the 15 min addition or the 5 min addition? Thanks, this is all so new to me. I usually brew Kölsch-type beers. And I should ask, mash at 152ish? or 154?

Edited by shaggaroo, 24 May 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

So remember, I'm not a huge hop fan at all, BUT this particular beer the brewer told me had simcoe and mosaic though he didn't give me the schedule. He did say dry hopping too, but I've never done that so I'm a little afraid. So if I eliminate the C60, I could up the base malt a little to get the ABV back up around 5.7%? And double or triple the 15 min addition or the 5 min addition? Thanks, this is all so new to me. I usually brew Kölsch-type beers. And I should ask, mash at 152ish? or 154?

For a pale ale, I'd suggest mashing no warmer than ~152°F, and I usually mash my PAs/IPAs for 90 minutes, but that's just one data point. 

Also, i'll echo the other comments re: upping the late additions, as Mosaic is a nice but (IMO) somewhat subtle, understated, etc. hop.

For my tastes, I'd suggest 1.5 oz for the 15 and 5 min additions, and as Morty said, dry-hopping would be good, and 2 oz wouldn't be too much if Mosaic is the dry-hop you use.

your pale ale grain bill looks like a lot of the PAs/IPAs i make, and i make them pretty regularly, and with US-05, you should get a nice pale ale out of this one.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Tell us more about the beer and what about you really liked.... Flavors, body, hop presentation etc.

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Neddles, the color was golden, the body was probably medium... the aroma, I knew there were hops in it but they weren't over the top like some I've had. If you've had Dale's PA, this seemed less hoppy. And the smell itself was citrusy, piney, a little fruity. I did contact the brewer after I left and he told me the hops were simcoe and mosaic. Here's what he said "Jeff, thanks for the compliments! I don't have the hop schedule in front of me and I don't have access to it from my day job. The key is small bitterness additions though, most of the hops are 15 minutes or less and dry hopping, that leads to bigger aroma and citrus flavor and less bitterness which is what most non hop fans prefer. Cheers, Derric". I just really enjoyed it and so thought I would try to reproduce it or something close to it.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hmm, been a while since I've has Dale's. I like it but there's probably been a palate/hop shift since then. For fun, just taking a stab here from your description. When you say "golden" I am thinking SRM 5-6 so I went with C20-ish here. Mosaic is a very distinctive hop, at least to me it is. Very easy for me to pick out. I don't know if you noticed it in that beer but I am thinking this should make it present but not dominant.

IBU 35

95% 2-row

5-6% C15-25 (caravienne, light carastan, cararuby, etc) 

Mash at 152-154F

Your favorite clean bittering hop to reach 35 IBU total

.5oz each Simcoe/Mosaic @10

.5oz each Simcoe/Mosaic dry hop

US-05

TBH: your original recipe won't be bad at all. Maybe a bit darker/ more caramelly than you describe. 

Edited by neddles, 24 May 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:39 AM

Hmm, been a while since I've has Dale's. I like it but there's probably been a palate/hop shift since then. For fun, just taking a stab here from your description. When you say "golden" I am thinking SRM 5-6 so I went with C20-ish here. Mosaic is a very distinctive hop, at least to me it is. Very easy for me to pick out. I don't know if you noticed it in that beer but I am thinking this should make it present but not dominant.

IBU 35

95% 2-row

5-6% C15-25 (caravienne, light carastan, cararuby, etc) 

Mash at 152-154F

Your favorite clean bittering hop to reach 35 IBU total

.5oz each Simcoe/Mosaic @10

.5oz each Simcoe/Mosaic dry hop

US-05

TBH: your original recipe won't be bad at all. Maybe a bit darker/ more caramelly than you describe. 

I agree on all fronts.  I would make this beer.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 May 2016 - 03:52 AM.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

I agree on all fronts.  I would make this beer.

YUP!

#11 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

OK, sounds like I've got something to play with! I imagine I'll make something like this and then tweek it the second time around... Depending on weather and when my stuff gets here, I'm looking at next MTW.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

Why do you guys say to eliminate the C60?  I don't necessarily think either crystal should be eliminated, but I'd like to hear why they're there.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Why do you guys say to eliminate the C60?  I don't necessarily think either crystal should be eliminated, but I'd like to hear why they're there.

For my tastes I like a drier beer.  I think what was suggested in the OP will make a fine beer but I just like a bit less crystal.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

I'd only cut it out if the goal is for a golden beer.  I think C60 is a little too dark for that.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

I'd only cut it out if the goal is for a golden beer.  I think C60 is a little too dark for that.

This was my logic.

#16 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

Can I use the Carared that I have on hand? And while I'm thinking of it, Ca to 50ish ppm? Cl/SO4 <,>, = 1?

Edited by shaggaroo, 25 May 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Can I use the Carared that I have on hand?

IMO - Sure.  It is 16-23 SRM.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

1:1 on the Cl:SO4 is safe if you dont want a lot of hop bite. Will turn out good.

#19 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

1:1 on the Cl:SO4 is safe if you dont want a lot of hop bite. Will turn out good.

OK sounds like a plan!

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

I've come to the conclusion that ratios don't matter...numbers do.  I like at least 150 ppm sulfate in my hoppy beers and I don't want anywhere near that amount of chloride in them.

For my tastes I like a drier beer.  I think what was suggested in the OP will make a fine beer but I just like a bit less crystal.

If you want it drier, up the sulfate.  I like the crystal in there for the flavor.

Edited by denny, 25 May 2016 - 11:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users