#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

Decided to brew a Hefe.  60% 2 Row, 40% Wheat.  Nothing I haven't done before.

But man... problems galore with the equipment.  I won't go into all of it, but it was really a PITA today.  

It's really making me look at the Picobrew Zymatic.  All I want to really do is consistently brew the recipes that I like.  I'm tired of the equipment bs.  I know it's only 2.5 gallons each batch, but from what I understand, doing back to back batches to get 5 gallons is fairly simple.

I dropped the bomb on SWMBO about it the other day.  Gonna start saving up for it.  

I just want to focus on recipes... that is all.

Anyways... I think I'll tap the hefe on/around 4th of July.  Should be ready by then.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

I usually go from grain to glass on a Hefe-Weizen in 14 days. 7 was my quickest.

Time isn't a concern for me so switching to no sparge has really simplified my brew day.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

I've done just over 2 weeks from grain to glass.  Best batch I ever made, I put in the keg about 5 gravity points before final and let it carbonate itself.  Not sure if that's what I'll do here.  I'll need to monitor it soon.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

Setting up a timed out schedule and a printed schedule to keep, including a step by step checklist that you follow, will cost a lot less than a big coffee pot

Edited by miccullen, 28 May 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:33 PM

Setting up a timed out schedule and a printed schedule to keep, including a step by step checklist that you follow, will cost a lot less than a big coffee pot

Mid-stream hardware issues are like honey-badgers... they don't give a #### about schedules.  

Yes... I can keep the cost a lot less than a coffee pot, but I'm tired of all the work involved.  Ever since we left California, where I had a good system in place, it has not been an enjoyable process.  What worked out there for me has not worked for me in Ohio or the two houses here in Wisconsin.  I'm not going to call it quits, but I don't have the desire or enthusiasm I once had.  Like I said... I'd like to focus on the recipes and have the process be consistent.  

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

Mid-stream hardware issues are like honey-badgers... they don't give a #### about schedules.

Yes... I can keep the cost a lot less than a coffee pot, but I'm tired of all the work involved. Ever since we left California, where I had a good system in place, it has not been an enjoyable process. What worked out there for me has not worked for me in Ohio or the two houses here in Wisconsin. I'm not going to call it quits, but I don't have the desire or enthusiasm I once had. Like I said... I'd like to focus on the recipes and have the process be consistent.

if that's what keeps you being, more power to you

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

Maybe I'll feel differently after I have the beer ready to consume. I just don't want my hobby to feel so much like... chore isn't even the right word... not really sure.

Maybe need some good words of encouragement.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

Maybe I'll feel differently after I have the beer ready to consume. I just don't want my hobby to feel so much like... chore isn't even the right word... not really sure.
Maybe need some good words of encouragement.

I get down on occasion concerning brewing myself, mainly due to batches that don't live up to my expectations, it happens, but I usually just chalk it up to a learning experience. My setup is pretty primitive compared to many, but I can usually make decent beer. Maybe we can help you refine your process, or suggest improvements?

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:49 AM

what is your process currently like?  I try to simplify mine as much as possible with minimal things to break or go wrong.

if I was going to do something automated I think going full on picobrew is a good way to go.  I have no interest in debugging my own automation designs.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

If Pico is what it takes then go for it. It is not for me seeing I enjoy building, tinkering and modifying my system but I know that is not for all. What are the main differences between how it worked in cali and now?

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:28 AM

If Pico is what it takes then go for it. It is not for me seeing I enjoy building, tinkering and modifying my system but I know that is not for all. What are the main differences between how it worked in cali and now?

right on.  everyone enjoys different parts of this hobby.  I'm sure somewhere out there someone even likes the cleaning part. :P

Edited by Evil_Morty, 29 May 2016 - 04:29 AM.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

right on. everyone enjoys different parts of this hobby. I'm sure somewhere out there someone even likes the cleaning part. :P

I am not sure I would go that far!

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

I am not sure I would go that far!

ae9b91f240b35ad41bb5a9b1fd832b20.jpeg

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

DS, I'd like to hear about your system. I've always kept mine simple and avoided adding a bunch of eqpt to deal with. A friend recently went from a complicated 3 sankey RIMs system back to a cooler tun/turkey fryer setup. He said he never brewed on the big system b/c it was such a chore to deal with, ate a ton of propane, and used too much water.

In his case he said had the fun of building his dream system but brewing on it wasn't fun.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:07 AM

DS, I'd like to hear about your system. I've always kept mine simple and avoided adding a bunch of eqpt to deal with. A friend recently went from a complicated 3 sankey RIMs system back to a cooler tun/turkey fryer setup. He said he never brewed on the big system b/c it was such a chore to deal with, ate a ton of propane, and used too much water.

In his case he said had the fun of building his dream system but brewing on it wasn't fun.

How did it use too much water?

My system is much more complicated than many here but in the end my brew days are generally easy and repeatable. I tinker to try and change my efficiency but could just leave it alone.

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:28 AM

How did it use too much water?
My system is much more complicated than many here but in the end my brew days are generally easy and repeatable. I tinker to try and change my efficiency but could just leave it alone.

He said it took a lot of water to clean.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

What about a Grainfather? https://www.amazon.c...V/dp/B012E2GK14

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

I need to look at this other one. When I'm at the computer, will sit down and provide more detail.

I do appreciate the support. Don't want to seem like a whiney bitch.

😃

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

He said it took a lot of water to clean.

I did not think of that aspect. I use chiling water to clean.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Ok... Here is what I have for my system.

I have a cooler with a manifold for my mash tun.  With a float switch and a pump, I am able to fly sparge.

I have an aluminum frying pot for my hot water needs, although this is on its last leg.  It has a ball valve and the seal leaks... a lot.  Probably easiest to replace it.  It has its own propane burner.

The Boil Kettle is a converted keg.  I have a pickup tube with a stainless steel braid.  It has its own propane burner.

I have a pump attached to a small square metal table with a CFC chiller mounted below it.  

The Mash Tun and the BK both sit on the cinder blocks.

What went wrong this last time?  Well... the aforementioned seal on the HLT went for shit, so during the mash, I had to go to True Value to try to replace the seal (along with the threaded nipple).  Problem is, the seal they gave me started burning.  It worked for this last brew, but needs to be replaced.  Hell, the whole pot should probably be replaced as it barely meets my needs on the sparge water.  I don't remember coming up short back in California, but it just seems like my  amounts are off.

I had some problems engaging the pump coming out of the BK.  Fecked around for about 7 minutes trying to get it going, only to realize "user error" at one point I had flipped the ball valve coming out back closed.  I blame that one squarely on me.  But it did seem like it was hard to get it going.  

Finally, there was a lot left in the BK well above the pickup tube.  Maybe I just need to go in and tighten it up a bit.   It's maybe just losing suction.  But based on my measuring stick, I had around 5.5 gallons (heated) heated in the BK, but only filled the fermenter to 4.5.  I carefully poured the contents of the BK into another stainless pot, got the burner going and brought it to a boil for a few minutes, and then used an IC to cool it down and poured it in the fermenter.  It brought me to a nice 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.  

It was just a bad day I guess.  And it was hot and humid out.  Nothing catastrophic, but a bunch of tiny shit that made me not like the hobby for a minute.

I guess I need to replace the HLT with something maybe a bit bigger and have a valve installed that will work with my hoses going to the pump (yes... I use it to fill the Mash Tun, Sparge and clean the CFC).  I also need to tighten up the pickup tube on the BK, likely replacing the teflon tape in the process.  

So... it's not all bad I suppose.  But I still wouldn't mind having the fully automated Picobrew.  Based on my setup, I can't brew in winter without making significant changes to the system.

If ya'll have any thoughts, I'm open to hearing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users