#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

I've brewed this before with simcoe and citra in place of the CTZ and Chinook using 2124 yeast at ~58F and it was great. Still kicking around using some British crystal 45L in place of the midnight wheat to give it more red color. Last time it was brownish with carafa II.

Grain bill is more complicated than I usually like but the goal was: Spicy, sticky, bready and it achieved that last time. Gonna brew it as soon as the Vienna Schwarz comes out of the chamber--prolly 2 weeks.

7gal, 1.064-.016, 60IBUs, 14SRM, 2/2g CaSO4, 2.5/2.5g CaCl2 Mash/Sparge, 144/157F step mash 30/30min, S-189 slurry

at8xGhr.png

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

Looks tasty!

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

Looks tasty!

The last iteration of it was one of the best hoppy beers I've made and it held it's haze(due to the flaked rye) and hop character until it blew. This one should be a bit more dank.

#4 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

That should come out a real nice reddish brown.  I have a similar beer on tap right now, Caraaroma, Meladonin, Midnight wheat around 1.064. I may have to give it another go with the Chinook and CTZ.  I have a fresh pound of each in the freezer.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

That should come out a real nice reddish brown.  I have a similar beer on tap right now, Caraaroma, Meladonin, Midnight wheat around 1.064. I may have to give it another go with the Chinook and CTZ.  I have a fresh pound of each in the freezer.

What hops did you use in your batch?

#6 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

What hops did you use in your batch?

Columbus to bitter, Simcoe at 15 and homegrown Cascades at 10,5 and flameout.  I'll do write up on the beer... it's interesting.

#7 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIn a knife fight with a gypsy.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

I find a combo of C120 and a couple ounces or roasted barley give me a deep garnet red. 

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

I find a combo of C120 and a couple ounces or roasted barley give me a deep garnet red.

I've got the Caraaroma in for the dark(150L) crystal. Do you get the roast flavor coming thru with the RB?

Edited by chils, 07 June 2016 - 03:13 AM.

#9 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

No flameout or PMF additions? Weren't you the one that perfected the PMF in the first place??

Sounds real dank either way

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:43 PM

No flameout or PMF additions? Weren't you the one that perfected the PMF in the first place??

Sounds real dank either way

Yeah the 0min additions are 175F whirlpool. That's the closest my calculator had to PMF.

#11 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:39 AM

Ah ok makes sense.  Brewtoad? Think I had the same problem before

I'm all about that PMF addition - best thing I got from HBC come to think of it.  Use it on every beer I want a prominent hop flavor in

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:20 AM

PMF?

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

Ah ok makes sense. Brewtoad? Think I had the same problem before

I'm all about that PMF addition - best thing I got from HBC come to think of it. Use it on every beer I want a prominent hop flavor in

Yeah I let the peeps over here know about it shortly after posting the thread on it over there. WW450(Oscar here) spoke about it before I tried it but noone listened to him.
https://www.brews-br...siny-mouthfeel/

PMF?

On my old forum I posted a thread about the 175F whirlpool hop additions titled "Finally got dat resiny mouthfeel" A mod changed the title to "penisy mouthfeel" So a meme was born PMF=penisy mouthfeel

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

I did a PMF addition to my last Hallertau Blanc Helles, 2.5 ounces at 175 for 20 minutes.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Post Monkeyfightin Flamout!

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

How does "sticky" translate here? I notice that if I spill beer and don't wipe it up right away, it gets sticky. :P

Also, I have played with C120 and Special B as well as Thomas Fawcett Dark Crystal #2 (lotta red in that one) plus Special B and I get some decent red. I think the reddest beer I have made was 100% RedX for base malt and then 4 ounces each of the TF&S crystal and Special B.

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

I did a PMF addition to my last Hallertau Blanc Helles, 2.5 ounces at 175 for 20 minutes.

Do you feel that addition added a bunch of flavor or resin?

Post Monkeyfightin Flamout!

Lol

How does "sticky" translate here? I notice that if I spill beer and don't wipe it up right away, it gets sticky. :P

Also, I have played with C120 and Special B as well as Thomas Fawcett Dark Crystal #2 (lotta red in that one) plus Special B and I get some decent red. I think the reddest beer I have made was 100% RedX for base malt and then 4 ounces each of the TF&S crystal and Special B.

The last batch coated your mouth with hop resin from the PMF additions and the flaked rye helped it stick. Had a chewy, sticky mouthfeel, a penisy resiny mouthfeel.

Edited by chils, 09 June 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

a penisy resiny mouthfeel.

:o

That's nothing like what I thought it was! :lol:

#19 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

Do you feel that addition added a bunch of flavor or resin?

I think it adds flavor and aroma but I don't get resin. It could depend on the hop variety. German hops don't seem as resin-y as some American.

#20 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:03 PM

I think it adds flavor and aroma but I don't get resin. It could depend on the hop variety. German hops don't seem as resin-y as some American.

I've only gotten resin from Spalt Select. It has a higher level of one of the oils than other nobles. Can't remember which one though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users