11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

I made a pale ale today with 2-row, wheat and caravienne, Columbus to bitter and then late Amarillo, Columbus and Citra and more Amarillo in the whirlpool. 1056 on the yeast. I used Brewtan B for the first time. The runnings had a slightly unusual color during the recirc and the protein I skimmed off the top of the wort as it heated up in the kettle had a pinkish-tan color that seemed new...

14kwbvl.jpg

I tasted the water and wort all the way through the process and everything seems great and the color of the wort going into the primary seemed completely normal. Denny, did you happen to notice this unusual color on your Brewtan batch?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:39 AM

thanks for trying this out ken.  :cheers:

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

I should be making my first Brewtan beer this week. Thanks for the info Ken. I wonder if skimming is removing some of the Brewtan.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

At first I started to recirc and the wort had this weird color and I winced when I saw it. Eventually everything ran clear and seemed to have the appropriate color. Then this hot break formed and I was all WHA HAPEEN! but eventually the wort running into the primary was clear and light-amber as I would expect. Also, on this batch I did not rack strike and sparge water from pot to MT and I did not use the SMB as it seemed unnecessary. I did use the SS chiller which I cleaned up and boiled in water over the weekend. The better test will be my next batch which should be a helles with some revived 2352.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

Nope, I didn't, Ken.  Everything looked normal.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Ken got his from Australia, that's the problem. The wort was swirling the opposite direction and the light refracted wrong giving it the appearance of a different color. 

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

crikey!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

Ken got his from Australia, that's the problem. The wort was swirling the opposite direction and the light refracted wrong giving it the appearance of a different color.

As it was swirling the wrong way, I exclaimed, Getta loada her, she's a feisty Sheila!

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

:D

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

It does have a kangaroo red color to it. Who's a naughty little fella?..yeah you ahh, look at him, look at the little guy, naughty.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:05 AM

I made a pale ale today with 2-row, wheat and caravienne, Columbus to bitter and then late Amarillo, Columbus and Citra and more Amarillo in the whirlpool. 1056 on the yeast. I used Brewtan B for the first time. The runnings had a slightly unusual color during the recirc and the protein I skimmed off the top of the wort as it heated up in the kettle had a pinkish-tan color that seemed new...

14kwbvl.jpg

I tasted the water and wort all the way through the process and everything seems great and the color of the wort going into the primary seemed completely normal. Denny, did you happen to notice this unusual color on your Brewtan batch?

I noticed this color in the mash tun but not in the kettle. Otherwise my first Brewtan B brew day was normal.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

I noticed this color in the mash tun but not in the kettle. Otherwise my first Brewtan B brew day was normal.

I will be making a helles sometime this week or weekend. I'm interested to see what the color looks like on that beer because if it's like this, it will really jump out on such a pale beer. The wort going into the primary looked totally normal and I plan to move that beer (a Columbus-Amarillo-Citra pale ale) to a keg shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users