SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

Rye IPA

First time I've ever brewed a beer that was too bitter. Last batch of rye IPA  has a lingering bitterness that is slightly unpleasant. It dissipates after about 2-3 minutes. I had problems with that batch and I think I left the hops in the boil kettle too long or miss measured the bittering addition. That or there's some astringency that's interplaying with the hops. It's not a bad beer except for the finish. I did hop it more at the end than usual and also dry hopped it more than usual, but I don't think that should lead to lingering bitterness. The keg we tapped yesterday is 4 months old and it still had a ton of hop flavor and aroma. The rye came through nicely, but that lingering bitterness kind of kills the mood.

Belgian Golden Strong

This turned out pretty good. Before it was carbonated I thought it was missing a little something, so I soaked some grains of paradise and some coriander in vodka and added it. it was only about 2g per spice in 32 gallons, so not really spiced much at all according to my friends that make a lot of Belgians. After it was carbed and cleared it's very nice. A lot of fruit flavors and nice spicy phenols. I used 1388 on this one. 1.070 OG, 1.005 FG. It's dry as a bone, fruity, spicy, and crisp. It's a little darker due to using the sugar cane syrup. Definitely has some complexity. I need to get some other people to try this one out because I need some unbiased opinions, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It's a really sneaky beer. At 8.5% alcohol you'd never know it. I served some at a graduation party the other night (to the adults) and I warned them, but a half dozen of them got freaking hammered. All in all they drank about 7 gallons of it and they seemed to really like it.

Kolsch

Nuff said. Little tweaks here and there, but it keeps getting better and better. My most solid beer, I think.

So many beers to try and perfect. I really should set up a 5 gal BIAB for test beers. I'll be brewing a german pils to take to the keys next, then probably a beer like Denny brewed. Kind of a belgian dark mild around 4.8%, but with some pils, D-90, and some character malts. I think I'll use 1388 again. Also going to brew an all first wort RIS probably in September. I will have to turn two 120 qt igloo coolers into mash tuns to get enough first wort to make this.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

Couple things...leaving the hops in the kettle longer will increase bitterness, but after 60 min, that's a minuscule amount that you probably wouldn't be able to taste.  Also, (and this may be more interesting than relevant), Drew and I discovered that dry hops can add to bitterness, contrary to what's always been thought.  We found a research paper from 1941 that talks about it.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Couple things...leaving the hops in the kettle longer will increase bitterness, but after 60 min, that's a minuscule amount that you probably wouldn't be able to taste.  Also, (and this may be more interesting than relevant), Drew and I discovered that dry hops can add to bitterness, contrary to what's always been thought.  We found a research paper from 1941 that talks about it.

I read it. I checked the values on the oils and I believe Columbus is one of the ones that is low on a the major oil that causes that IIRC. I suspect it is more to do with having a 20 minute addition act more like a 60 minute addition because it took me way too long to set up the chilling cycle. Also I collected too much wort and boiled an extra 15 minutes. Those process errors are far more likely to be the culprit, IMO. I don't chill down to 170 or 180 to do a hop stand. It's just inconvenient. So my 0 min additions or whirlpool additions are at around 200 - 212. Still in the isomerization range.

TL:DR? I fecked it up, not the hops.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 31 May 2016 - 08:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users