20 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hope to get this one going this week some time.  Trying something new with the Golden Naked Oats, I have never used them but seen some good discussion on them.  Sticking with the 30 minute boil and 20-30 minute whirlpool, it has worked so far so no reason to swap it up. 

OG – 1.062

ABV ~6.5%

SRM – 6.6

Grist - 152*
81% (11#) Two Row Pale
7% (1#) Munich 10L
7% (1#) Golden Naked Oats

4% (.5#) Caravienne

Hops
42g Columbus – 30 (30 IBU)
56g Cascade -whirlpool@ 175
28g Simcoe -whirlpool@ 175
28g Columbus @DH
84g Cascade @DH
56g Simcoe @ DH

Dry Hopping done at 65* for about 4-5 days

Yeast

Water
Calcium – 106
Sulfate – 120
Chloride – 101

pH=5.32

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

Interesting looking brew. I think it looks great. That hop combo should be good, on the dank side. And 1450, your new fav yeast! Look forward to hearing how this turns out.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

Interesting looking brew. I think it looks great. That hop combo should be good, on the dank side. And 1450, your new fav yeast! Look forward to hearing how this turns out.

I was going to use 1272 but never saved it from my last batch of rye pale ale.  I figured 1450 would be better in this than S-05.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

sounds great!

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

I agree it looks nice.  I plan to make a pale ale coming up where Simcoe will be working with either Amarillo, Citra or possibly Nelson.  Early Columbus maybe and then Simcoe blended with something else late.  I like its "pine"-like flavor.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

I agree it looks nice.  I plan to make a pale ale coming up where Simcoe will be working with either Amarillo, Citra or possibly Nelson.  Early Columbus maybe and then Simcoe blended with something else late.  I like its "pine"-like flavor.

The Rye APA I have no tap now is Citra and Nelson and it is delish!

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

The Rye APA I have no tap now is Citra and Nelson and it is delish!

That does sound good. I have one as well carbing now but with El Dorado and some C hops.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

That does sound good. I have one as well carbing now but with El Dorado and some C hops.

What's going on with El Dorado? My nephew was in town last weekend and he's a fan of IPAs. He was out for pizza and texted me a shot of the beer he was drinking... Stone Delicious IPA with El Dorado and Lemon Drop hops. Two hops I have not tried yet. I assume Lemon Drop is citrusy but what's up with El Dorado?

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

Looks like a winner. I like both the hop combo and the ratios. Plus for a house IPA all the hops have good availability most of the time. Get back to us on the GNO.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

Looks like a winner. I like both the hop combo and the ratios. Plus for a house IPA all the hops have good availability most of the time. Get back to us on the GNO.

looks good to me too

Simcoe can be iffy on availability though

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

looks good to me too

Simcoe can be iffy on availability though

Not at my house... Keep 3# on hand most times 😀

#12 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

What's going on with El Dorado? My nephew was in town last weekend and he's a fan of IPAs. He was out for pizza and texted me a shot of the beer he was drinking... Stone Delicious IPA with El Dorado and Lemon Drop hops. Two hops I have not tried yet. I assume Lemon Drop is citrusy but what's up with El Dorado?

Not sure, never used it before. Neddles seems to like it.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

Not at my house... Keep 3# on hand most times

well then, you're golden

I like it as is

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

I think it looks great too. Do you feel you get enough bite from the 30min addition?

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

I think it looks great too. Do you feel you get enough bite from the 30min addition?

I do actually. I have done about a half dozen 30 minute batches, all were hoppy except for the Helles and I have not felt any were not bitter enough. I have built the 30 minute addition around my desired ibu level and it seems to be working out great for me.

#16 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Solid looking, good idea keeping the hop selection being mostly readily available hops. But Amarillo should be in there

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

I do actually. I have done about a half dozen 30 minute batches, all were hoppy except for the Helles and I have not felt any were not bitter enough. I have built the 30 minute addition around my desired ibu level and it seems to be working out great for me.

Cool, I do know one thing. I like CTZ for bittering everything. I ran out awhile back and used simcoe and amarillo on a few batches and they didn't have the punch I get from CTZ. I felt those beers were too soft. I ordered more ASAP. After that experience I believe not all IBUs are the same variety to variety.

#18 Jub

Jub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

Cool, I do know one thing. I like CTZ for bittering everything. I ran out awhile back and used simcoe and amarillo on a few batches and they didn't have the punch I get from CTZ. I felt those beers were too soft. I ordered more ASAP. After that experience I believe not all IBUs are the same variety to variety.

Man it took me a while to figure this out, but I totally think bittering additions have a much bigger effect than given credit for.  

Every time I've tried to make a beer with all Hallertau (or Spalt, Mt Hood, etc) I feel like the bittering is way off and puny compared to the same IBUs with Magnum, which is my normal bittering hop

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:39 AM

Solid looking, good idea keeping the hop selection being mostly readily available hops. But Amarillo should be in there

Yeah, it does.  I have been skittish to use Amarillo after a few bad batches but I have some kicking around and it could find its way into here.

Man it took me a while to figure this out, but I totally think bittering additions have a much bigger effect than given credit for.  

Every time I've tried to make a beer with all Hallertau (or Spalt, Mt Hood, etc) I feel like the bittering is way off and puny compared to the same IBUs with Magnum, which is my normal bittering hop

Agree, if I want to give it a bit of a bite I tend to mix in some chinook for bittering.  I really like 70/30 (ish) of Apollo/Chinook for bittering at 60, I have not tried this combo yet for my 30 minute beers.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:05 AM

it's less of an effect than a late addition but some characteristics definitely come through even for a 60 min addition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users