#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hey Fellas, I'm still pondering the hop rate and combo. All of the grains have been weighed and mixed. I'm looking forward to a nice quaffable malty beer here. Any thoughts on the hops? In addition to Haller and Celia, I have NB, Tett, Strisselspalt and Aramis to consider if I wanted to stay Noble'ish. Thoughts, guffaws, chides, accolades?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amt Name Type
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
3 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz English Medium Crystal (73.7 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain
1.0 oz Midnight Wheat (744.0 SRM) Grain

0.50 oz Celeia [4.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 15.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Celeia [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9.7 IBUs
2 liter starter German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast

Mashing at 150

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

just me but I'd crank the IBU up about to 45

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

Why? Personal choice, style?

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

I also like a nice firm neutral bitterness to balance out the maltiness of an Alt.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

I also like a nice firm neutral bitterness to balance out the maltiness of an Alt.

Chicago, do you like what you see?

#6 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

I would simplify that grist, but too late for that. I agree with Mic on bumping up those IBUs true Alts have more hop presence than the American versions.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Cavman. I am working with on hand supplies. Certainly subjective, I got the design idea from a byo article calling for 25% each Munich and Vienna and I'm close. So I added my own twist too. Bumping up the bitter seems to make sense to offset the heavy malt.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Cavman. I am working with on hand supplies. Certainly subjective, I got the design idea from a byo article calling for 25% each Munich and Vienna and I'm close. So I added my own twist too. Bumping up the bitter seems to make sense to offset the heavy malt.

I've made several similar brews, and a little more IBU than you think you need usually hits the spot, also, I'd ditch the 45 minute dose, It'll get lost in the boil, might as well bump it to 60 and call it good.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

I've made several similar brews, and a little more IBU than you think you need usually hits the spot, also, I'd ditch the 45 minute dose, It'll get lost in the boil, might as well bump it to 60 and call it good.

Sage advice, thank you

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

Chicago, do you like what you see?

I'd like to taste yours. I think there are many routes to a great finish. My Alt usually scores high 30s to mid 40s. It's 100% red x and all hallertau. 45 target ibus with 60,20 and 5 minute additions.

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:56 AM

I'd like to taste yours. I think there are many routes to a great finish. My Alt usually scores high 30s to mid 40s. It's 100% red x and all hallertau. 45 target ibus with 60,20 and 5 minute additions.

Thank you.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:31 AM

At first, 45 IBU seems a little high, for my preference. I like 35 IBU, myself, but I start at 1.048 and finish between 1.008-1.010. For a Sticks Alt like this, 40 IBU would be proportionate, and then you'll need to counter that crystal malt, so maybe mid to low 40s would be a similar balance to what I like. My preference is that the sharpness in an Alt come from being dry, not from trying to balance a sweet beer by upping the IBUs until it is sweet and bitter, like a lot of IPAs. I would adjust it so that it dries out more, instead of upping the IBUs. A local brewpub uses a lot of crystal malt and ups the hopping rate and I don't think it does the beer any favors.

I agree with Cav, that is a very complex malt bill for an Alt. Also, I wouldn't use Kölsch yeast unless it is very clean for you. I find it very fruity, in my hands and most other beers I've had that use it, which isn't appropriate for an Alt. But once you Americanize an Alt you can do whatever you feel like doing.

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

I stick with Wyeast 1007 for Alts and ferment at 50F. Clean, well attenuated but still malty.

IBUs are tricky. We all could be using different formulas and having differing utilization based on our systems. I doubt if many have access to a lab to find out the real number. I've been brewing on my system for long enough to usually hit the target or pretty close to where I'm aiming with a recipe. It took some time to get really dialed in.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:53 AM

All great input fellas. Much appreciated.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

I stick with Wyeast 1007 for Alts and ferment at 50F. Clean, well attenuated but still malty.

IBUs are tricky. We all could be using different formulas and having differing utilization based on our systems. I doubt if many have access to a lab to find out the real number. I've been brewing on my system for long enough to usually hit the target or pretty close to where I'm aiming with a recipe. It took some time to get really dialed in.

good points

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:07 PM

Yes, very true.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

So I've got around 43 IBU's from a combo of Haller, Strisselspalt and Celia. I'm hoping for a very interesting beer here. It's strumming along in the mid 60's and I'm feeling confident it will be a good beer. Great? Don't know. But quaffable.

Also adjusted my Crusher b/c the rollers seem to have loosened. I picked up 9 points :)

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

9 points? Good thing you upped the IBUs.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

9 points? Good thing you upped the IBUs.

Yes indeed, I thunk the same thing. I cannot imagine why my rollers widened/loosened but I recall someone else having this issue. I probably should do a better check and pm now and again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users