#1 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

So I used dry yeast for the first time on the APA I made. I gotta say, I think I'm a convert. Soooo... is there a go to place that has a jillion varieties of dry yeast? Or some kind of resource that tells me the dry yeast varieties to use for specific kinds of beer? And do I keep it in the fridge or the freezer?

Thanks!

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

I keep mine in the fridge. I would start at the manufacturers sites for an idea of what they offer.
Safale
Mangrove Jack's
Lallemand
To start.

S-05,S-04,BRY-97,belle saison, 34/70 are all good IMO.

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Drez! Any experience with weissbier yeasts like WB-06 or Danstar Munich Weissbier?

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

I have not been converted but I did buy some S-189 Swiss lager yeast on Chils' suggestion. Shaggaroo, the good news is that dry yeasts have come a long way and my guess is that you're going to find a lot of good stuff. As you said, there are weissbier yeasts (WB06) and great ale and lager strains as well. I'm sure there are Belgian strains but I don't know because I don't make them. Keep it in the fridge and it will last awhile. I have heard people say to rehydrate it in water. When I was a newbie, there were people who told us to rehydrate in cooled wort. I have also heard people say that if you just "sprinkle" over the top of the wort, you may kill half the cells... not sure if that's true or why it would be true. I plan to just sprinkle this S189 when I use it in an upcoming helles or pils. Cheers.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:35 PM

I'm generally happy with S-05 for clean American style ales. I recently tried T58 so the results aren't in yet. I also have a s189 going. I wasn't happy with Munich ale/Weiss bier yeast but I only like 3068 for that style.
I rehydrate yeast in sterile water for a half hour before pitching. This last batch of s189 Helles was sprinkled onto the wort so fingers crossed.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:31 AM

I just sprinkle 90% of the time. No comment on weissebier yeast as that is a style I would never brew, sorry.

#7 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:55 AM

I have heard people say to rehydrate it in water. When I was a newbie, there were people who told us to rehydrate in cooled wort. I have also heard people say that if you just "sprinkle" over the top of the wort, you may kill half the cells... not sure if that's true or why it would be true. I plan to just sprinkle this S189 when I use it in an upcoming helles or pils. Cheers.

It's just a measured observation, though there are theories for why it is true. From the Brülosopher testing, we have probably learned that pitching rate just isn't as important as we've thought, so it may not matter that you get only half the yeast as rehydrating.

From Sean Terrill:rehydration.png

Edited by Brauer, 10 June 2016 - 03:56 AM.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:05 AM

I rehydrate yeast in sterile water for a half hour before pitching.

if you are going to go through the trouble this is the way to do it.  water should be about 95-100F.  I can't remember the right amount for one packet of yeast but I want to say it's something like a 1/4 cup.

as for me - I stopped rehydrating a little while back the beer didn't suffer for it.  sprinkling on top of the cooled wort is just too easy.

I have used US-05 many times.  usually it's for hoppy American ales but I've also enjoyed it in brown ales, strong ales, stouts and ambers.

I've used belle saison a couple of times.  for the high gravity saison I made it was top notch.  for something I made that was a little more experimental recipe wise I thought it was okay.  if I wanted to make a big saison again I wouldn't hesitate to use it though.

I've used Nottingham a few times.  It was too long ago and my process wasn't like it is now so I can't say too much about it.  I seem to remember it being a little bit tart or something but that could have been my process and not the yeast. I made some early American ambers with it that at the time I thought were awesome.  I was also a noob though :D

S-04 is a decent yeast.  I generally like it in English pale ale type beers.  I made a hybrid American/English pale ale with it that I enjoyed.  it rounded everything out nicely.  unlike US-05 I'm a little more likely to go with a liquid yeast here.  US-05 is good enough that it's hard for me to justify acquiring 1056 and making a starter.

I think those are all of the dry yeasts I've tried.  I'd try some of the dry lager strains but most of them seem to call for 2 packets/5 gallons of wort and for that price it would be cheaper to just buy a liquid strain and make a starter.  maybe someone will do an experiment and tell me that 1 packet is just as good and then I'll be down for that!

Edited by Evil_Morty, 10 June 2016 - 05:07 AM.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

if you are going to go through the trouble this is the way to do it.  water should be about 95-100F.  I can't remember the right amount for one packet of yeast but I want to say it's something like a 1/4 cup.

It's just a measured observation, though there are theories for why it is true. From the Brülosopher testing, we have probably learned that pitching rate just isn't as important as we've thought, so it may not matter that you get only half the yeast as rehydrating.

From Sean Terrill:rehydration.png

Brauer's chart would say otherwise. I pressure can a few jars of water when I do starter wort. It's pretty easy to open a sterile jar, dump out half then sprinkle in a pack of yeast. Then the lid goes back on until it's time to pitch. It's worth it to me for twice as much viable yeast. I also use the canned water for yeast rinsing and storage.

Also there is a noticeable difference in lag time between rehydrated vs not. 

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

No comment on weissebier yeast as that is a style I would never brew, sorry.

Me too Brother.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Me too Brother.

:cheers:

I have done it both ways and never really noticed any perceivable difference in start time. 

Anyway, like most things in brewing and everyone has an opinion on it and you just need to determine what works for you and go with that.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

Brauer's chart would say otherwise. I pressure can a few jars of water when I do starter wort. It's pretty easy to open a sterile jar, dump out half then sprinkle in a pack of yeast. Then the lid goes back on until it's time to pitch. It's worth it to me for twice as much viable yeast. I also use the canned water for yeast rinsing and storage.

his chart only went up to 80F.

most sources seem to point to a warmer temperature being optimal:  httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

this is the source I remember reading the first time I decided to look into rehydrating my yeast with water: httpss://koehlerbeer.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/rehydrating-dry-yeast-with-dr-clayton-cone/

eta:  obviously I don't feel that strongly about this since I don't even rehydrate.  I'm just passing on the information I have referenced in the past.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 10 June 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#13 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

All sounds like great info guys. Guess I need to obtain a few more data points on my own 🤓

eta: anybody use a dry yeast to make something like a Kölsch?

Edited by shaggaroo, 10 June 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

most sources seem to point to a warmer temperature being optimal:  httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

this is the source I remember reading the first time I decided to look into rehydrating my yeast with water: httpss://koehlerbeer.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/rehydrating-dry-yeast-with-dr-clayton-cone/

eta:  obviously I don't feel that strongly about this since I don't even rehydrate.  I'm just passing on the information I have referenced in the past.

Safale recommends 27C/80F in their materials.

https://www.fermenti...02/SFA_US05.pdf

All sounds like great info guys. Guess I need to obtain a few more data points on my own

eta: anybody use a dry yeast to make something like a Kölsch?

I have not tried it but maybe you could use 34/70 closer to 60.  I am not sure any dry yeast out there will mimic Kolsch yeast perfectly though.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Safale recommends 27C/80F in their materials.

https://www.fermenti...02/SFA_US05.pdf

I've seen those numbers too.  I suspect that perhaps they are worried people will overshoot the 105F or something so they give them some wiggle room?  I dunno.  they may have different motivations.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

I've seen those numbers too.  I suspect that perhaps they are worried people will overshoot the 105F or something so they give them some wiggle room?  I dunno.  they may have different motivations.

sure thing.  I think each manufacturer has s different temp for re-hydration.  At least I feel I have seen numbers that varied by 15 degrees or so.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:03 AM

sure thing.  I think each manufacturer has s different temp for re-hydration.  At least I feel I have seen numbers that varied by 15 degrees or so.

when you factor in that sprinkling is fine it's probably not worth the risk to gain a few percentage points of viability even if 100F is better than 80F.

#18 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

most sources seem to point to a warmer temperature being optimal: httpss://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/rehydrating-dry-yeast/

eta: obviously I don't feel that strongly about this since I don't even rehydrate. I'm just passing on the information I have referenced in the past.

Interesting info. I've thought about getting a microscope for yeast ranching and cell counts but I don't know if the extra work is worth the pay off.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

Interesting info. I've thought about getting a microscope for yeast ranching and cell counts but I don't know if the extra work is worth the pay off.

that's the impression I'm under.  I've been having good luck with the 007 starters which are much lower pitching rates than I've typically used in the past.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Drez! Any experience with weissbier yeasts like WB-06 or Danstar Munich Weissbier?

the WB-06 isn't bad, it'll make a decent Weissbier, tends a bit more to clove than bannana 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users