#61 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

My 3 step infusions start getting watery trying to hit the alpha if I have a big grain bill even when doughing in at 1:1. If I was dead set on that acid rest I'd prolly do a decoction for alpha to keep it from being too thin.
I've had lower than nml efficiency with highly proteinaceous malt if I forget to slice up the top before running off. Channels something fierce if it has a protein cap.

good point on the protein barrier

#62 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:39 AM

My pre-boil volume? Yes. When I do a single infusion, I start with 3.75 gal (that's all my small pot holds) for about 9-11 lbs of grist. "Mash" for an hour, start spare water heating at this point, vorlauf, drain, wait 15-20 mins for water to heat, dump in another 3.75 gal, then maybe another 1 gal after that. My efficiency consistently between 80-85%. Yesterday, 10.5 lb, I did a couple steps, mashed in at 99 (ferulic acid rest) with 3 gal (probably should have used less) added 1 gal boiling water to bring me to 122 (protein rest), and 1.5 gal boiling water to get me to 145. Then sparked with 3 gals. Efficiency tanked, right around 60%. Grrrrr

I get 87% efficiency with a thin mash, ~2 qt/#, and a single sparge. Do you usually only mash at 145°F, without raising it for an alpha rest? That's a suboptimal temperature for conversion, so I would always raise it to ≥158F for a short while to finish conversion.

When I No sparge, I start the beta rest at 2 qt/# and finish the alpha rest at ~3.25 qt/#. That gets me 75% efficiency with a thin mash and without a sparge.

#63 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

I get 87% efficiency with a thin mash, ~2 qt/#, and a single sparge. Do you usually only mash at 145°F, without raising it for an alpha rest? That's a suboptimal temperature for conversion, so I would always raise it to ≥158F for a short while to finish conversion.
When I No sparge, I start the beta rest at 2 qt/# and finish the alpha rest at ~3.25 qt/#. That gets me 75% efficiency with a thin mash and without a sparge.

It is a bit low for me... I usually mash about 149-152ish... Thinking about it all, could my pH maybe have been too low? I don't measure it but know if I add sauermalz (about 4 oz per 10 lb) my efficiency is high. I did that this time but also added 1/2 tsp CaCl2... just grasping...

#64 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

It is a bit low for me... I usually mash about 149-152ish... Thinking about it all, could my pH maybe have been too low? I don't measure it but know if I add sauermalz (about 4 oz per 10 lb) my efficiency is high. I did that this time but also added 1/2 tsp CaCl2... just grasping...

I did some rough calculations, not knowing all your details, and I don't think that should be a problem. It might push the pH a little low for a mostly Munich Malt beer, one with a LOT of dark Crystal Malt, or with a lot of roasted malt, but probably not so low as to strongly inhibit conversion.

#65 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:00 AM

I did some rough calculations, not knowing all your details, and I don't think that should be a problem. It might push the pH a little low for a mostly Munich Malt beer, one with a LOT of dark Crystal Malt, or with a lot of roasted malt, but probably not so low as to strongly inhibit conversion.

Grist was 60% dark wheat, 20% bohemian Pilsner, and 20% dark Munich, with the 1/4 lb sauermalz

#66 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

Grist was 60% dark wheat, 20% bohemian Pilsner, and 20% dark Munich, with the 1/4 lb sauermalz

The German Dark Munich, or Briess? Either way, it still looks like it should be in the ~5.2-5.3 range.

The Dark Wheat is a bit of a wild card. Wheat is usually high pH, but it will be lower once toasted. You probably have a little lower than normal amylase activity, too, with all that darkly toasted malt.

You may be seeing the result of multiple factors that are suboptimal for gelatinization and conversion, combining to cause a bigger problem. Lowish pH, low but acceptable amylase, and low mash temperature. In that case, while a thinner mash helps gelatinization, it might not help much at such a low temperature, and diluting a low enzyme level isn't going to make that any better.

#67 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

The German Dark Munich, or Briess? Either way, it still looks like it should be in the ~5.2-5.3 range.
The Dark Wheat is a bit of a wild card. Wheat is usually high pH, but it will be lower once toasted. You probably have a little lower than normal amylase activity, too, with all that darkly toasted malt.
You may be seeing the result of multiple factors that are suboptimal for gelatinization and conversion, combining to cause a bigger problem. Lowish pH, low but acceptable amylase, and low mash temperature. In that case, while a thinner mash helps gelatinization, it might not help much at such a low temperature, and diluting a low enzyme level isn't going to make that any better.

German dark Munich and German dark wheat both from Weyermann. I guess the bier gods were against me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users