47 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

I have this resurrected 2352 going now and plan to catch up with my brewing by getting two lager strains working at once. When the latest batch of helles is done in the fridge, I will use this S-189 for the first time based on some conversations here. This is my off-the-top-of-my head shot at an S-189 pilsner. Please massage it if you think you see something better happening based on your experience with the yeast.

S-189 Pils

4.25 lbs Best Malz Pils
4.00 lbs Weyermann Barke Pils
5 ounces CaraPils
5 ounces CaraFoam
5 ounces CaraHell
.40 ounces German Magnum 13% for 60 (22 IBUs)
1 ounce German Spalt 4.6% for 15
1 ounce Hallertau 3.2% for 10
1 ounce Hallertau 3.2% for 5
S-189

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.011, IBU: 40, SRM: 4, ABV: 5.0%

Single infusion mash at 150°, use 25% distilled water to lower sulfate, sprinkle the S-189 onto well-oxygenated wort and ferment in the fridge set to about 48°. I have about 8 pound of this Barke Pils left and I wanted there to be SOME of the Barke character in this beer but not all of the base malt so I'm mixing it with Best. Thoughts?

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

Ken, isn't carafoam just weyermann's carapils? Recipe looks solid.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

I think so

Is it just me, or are Ken's beers getting hoppier?

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

I think so

Is it just me, or are Ken's beers getting hoppier?

Yep. Suckered him in to the green side. Muaha-ha-ha!

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:08 PM

Hmm. Maybe I should have gone 5 ounces Carafoam, 5 ounces Carapils and 5 ounces dextrine malt! :lol: I didn't want to load this one up with Vienna or Munich but I did want there to be something happening in the grain bill aside from just pilsner malt. Cheers.

Ps. Pale ales have been getting hoppier. I have been making a lot of helles which is not hoppy so here we have a pilsner and you need a kick of hops on a pilsner. Cheers gang.

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

I'd love to see an experiment with carapils/carafoam vs without. I try to use as few ingredients as possible.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

Well, if we consider it a crystal malt, there is going to be some contribution even if it's small. Here, I'm using almost a pound which should give some amount of body and depth and I could always dial it back. I actually thought that carafoam was different than carapils so there's that. :D

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

Many people are confused about Weyermann's crystal malts b/c of the names. All of the cara malts are just crystal in varying degrees kilned from their 2-row. They may taste different in the same way that their base malt tastes different than domestic.

CaraFoam= carapils

Carahell=C10

carared=C20

caravienne=C30 NOT made from Vienna

caramunich I, II, III=C40, 60, 80 NOT made from Munich

caraaroma=C130

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

Well, if we consider it a crystal malt, there is going to be some contribution even if it's small. Here, I'm using almost a pound which should give some amount of body and depth and I could always dial it back. I actually thought that carafoam was different than carapils so there's that. :D

I get that it's supposed to add body and potentially better head formation. My Helles is 100% Pils. I never felt it needed more body or lacked foam. Maybe I'll add some to a future batch and see if I notice a difference.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

Many people are confused about Weyermann's crystal malts b/c of the names. All of the cara malts are just crystal in varying degrees kilned from their 2-row. They may taste different in the same way that their base malt tastes different than domestic.

CaraFoam= carapils

Carahell=C10

carared=C20

caraaroma=C130

Great summary.  I will say though I always compared caravienne ( a malt I use a lot) to C-20 since it is 20-24L.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

CaraFoam= carapils

Carahell=C10

carared=C20

caraaroma=C130

is carared really like C20?  I thought it had more of a malty backbone.  maybe I'm mistaken.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

Great summary.  I will say though I always compared caravienne ( a malt I use a lot) to C-20 since it is 20-24L.

What maltster do you use for your caravienne?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:06 AM

What maltster do you use for your caravienne?

I will have to go back and look.  I have 20#'s of it in a bucket.

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

I've seen 19-27L listed on it.

is carared really like C20?  I thought it had more of a malty backbone.  maybe I'm mistaken.

Just another crystal kilned from green malt.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

My Caravienne shows an L range of 19-27. I actually thought that anything called "CARA"-anything was a Weyermann product so Carapils and Carafoam were different products. I just went downstairs and see that my "Carapils" is made by Briess. My Carafoam is made by Weyermann. The descriptions are similar but different. Carapils says to use as 1-5% of the grist while Carafoam says 5% to 40% of the grist. Both mention head formation and stability as well as body.

My Caravienne is made by Dingemans.

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

Carapils is Breiss' ® 1.5L crystal

carafoam is Weyermann's 1.5-2.9L crystal

Similar lightly kilned malt. Here's a great article about making caramel and crystal malts

https://blog.brewing...r-caramel-malt/

Edited by chils, 14 June 2016 - 07:25 AM.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

Guys... from the Fermentis site:

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 23°C ± 3°C (73°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition.
Fermentis

So they say to rehydrate for 15 to 30 mins in sterile water and then stir for 30 minutes (?!) Or it says to sprinkle over the top of the wort but only if the wort is 68°F or higher. I planned to sprinkle into about 50° wort... no good? Chils... what did you do with this yeast?

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

Ken, I drauflassen it into a 1 gallon starter. When I pitched dry I'd open a new bottle of water and pour half into a sanitized glass pie plate. Sprinkle on it and cover for rehydration. Let sit 30ish minutes, stir and pitch

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Ken, I drauflassen it into a 1 gallon starter. When I pitched dry I'd open a new bottle of water and pour half into a sanitized glass pie plate. Sprinkle on it and cover for rehydration. Let sit 30ish minutes, stir and pitch

How about a clean and sanitized flask, add bottled water, add yeast, shake every once in awhile for 30 minutes, pitch into 5 gallons of oxygenated wort? Man, I'm a complete dry yeast NEWBIE. Thanks Chils... much appreciated.

#20 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

How about a clean and sanitized flask, add bottled water, add yeast, shake every once in awhile for 30 minutes, pitch into 5 gallons of oxygenated wort? Man, I'm a complete dry yeast NEWBIE. Thanks Chils... much appreciated.

Sounds fine. May take longer than an active lager starter to get going. S-189 was slow to start on my 3 batches and was a slow fermenter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users