517 replies to this topic

#261 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

I took some shots of the pink foam.  there is a lot of scrambled egg in my hydro sample.

Still have not seen the pink foam.

#262 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

I'm about to mash in with 1/2 tsp of brewtan (10 gal batch).

Can I make the 1 tsp slurry for the boil ahead of time (an hour or so) or should I make it soon before it goes in?  I just like to have stuff for the boil ready well ahead of time so I don't have to think too much.

don't know why ahead of time would be a problem

Denny - have you ever posted or commented on your perceived thoughts on Brewtan and if the final beers are different?  I know you did a few batches with and without it.

I've only done one side by side test so far, but in that one the Brewtan batch was markedly better.  I did not do any triangle tasting, though.  Every other batch I've used it on seems subjectively better.

Edited by denny, 13 September 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#263 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:12 PM

google no longer allows hotlink.  SOB this is annoying.

#264 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

google no longer allows hotlink.  SOB this is annoying.

Yup.  That is why I use Flickr or Facebook.  I know you do not use FB so that is not an option for you.

#265 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

here are some shots while I'm getting the boil going, after adding 30 min hops and the hydro sample:

3cg1Xo2.jpg

jaVy4YF.jpg

L10hg80.jpg

the hydro sample is actually a little busted up there.  it was more big chunks but I kind of mixed them up before I took the shot I think.

#266 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

I have seen that foam in both the MLT and BK but never had my hydro sample like that but I do tropically wait a few hours to pull my hydro sample so I assume everything has settled by then.

#267 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

I pulled that sample while I was chilling so no settling was going on since I occasionally stir things up.

#268 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

Sometimes I've seen the pink foam, sometimes not.

#269 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

I have seen that foam in both the MLT and BK but never had my hydro sample like that but I do tropically wait a few hours to pull my hydro sample so I assume everything has settled by then.

That foam looks like my usual foam, Brewtan or not. I was envisioning much pinker. The break in the sample looks typical of what I get when I stop chilling and let it go still and settle. I used to just drop my hydrometer into the kettle before transferring to the fermentor. I don't do that much anymore since my OGs have been dead-on predictable and when I do get a reading it's typically with my refractometer.

#270 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

I'm guessing the AWB on the camera doesn't do it justice relative to how it normally looks.  it def had a pink aspect to it that it normally doesn't have.

#271 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Drew and I have just begun planning an EB experiment about Brewtan B.  I'll keep ya updated as it develops.

#272 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Since we're getting ready to do an experiment, I contacted Joe for usage info...guess what, I was wrong!  Who's surprised?  It is based on vloume of water, not the batch and you also add it to the sparge.  Here's what he said....

I add 1/4 tsp per 5 gal of strike and sparge water, and 1/2 tsp as a slurry 15-16 min before the end of the boil. If you like using the Irish moss for 15, then add it 1 min before that.

#273 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

Since we're getting ready to do an experiment, I contacted Joe for usage info...guess what, I was wrong!  Who's surprised?  It is based on vloume of water, not the batch and you also add it to the sparge.  Here's what he said....

I add 1/4 tsp per 5 gal of strike and sparge water, and 1/2 tsp as a slurry 15-16 min before the end of the boil. If you like using the Irish moss for 15, then add it 1 min before that.

So if I am doing no-sparge with 7.5 gallons then add 3/8t.?

…and thanks for the clarification!

Edited by neddles, 22 September 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#274 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hmm. So I should continue to add the ¼ t. to the strike water (which is usually 5 gallons) but then I should add a little more (maybe 1/8 t.?) to the sparge (usually 3 gallons) and then the ½ t. to the boil? Huh. I'll try that on my next brewday which may be Saturday.

#275 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:09 AM

is that 1/2 tsp in a slurry based on a 5 gallon batch?

#276 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Hmm. So I should continue to add the ¼ t. to the strike water (which is usually 5 gallons) but then I should add a little more (maybe 1/8 t.?) to the sparge (usually 3 gallons) and then the ½ t. to the boil? Huh. I'll try that on my next brewday which may be Saturday.

Yep.  Although when I told Joe I hadn't been doing it right, he said it probably wasn't a huge deal.

is that 1/2 tsp in a slurry based on a 5 gallon batch?

yes it is

#277 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Yep.  Although when I told Joe I hadn't been doing it right, he said it probably wasn't a huge deal.

I'm glad you had the chance to talk with Joe about Brewtan because it sounds like he is one of the (or THE) authorities on the subject. Did you happen to get any additional information from him regarding exactly what it does or whether it would benefit some brewers more than others based on equipment, processes, water, etc? I'll be honest... my beers have been fantastic lately and a lack of this information is not making me lose sleep but I would still like to have a better handle on what it does and the variables. My guess is that you'll say "wait for the podcast"... right? :D

#278 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

I'm glad you had the chance to talk with Joe about Brewtan because it sounds like he is one of the (or THE) authorities on the subject. Did you happen to get any additional information from him regarding exactly what it does or whether it would benefit some brewers more than others based on equipment, processes, water, etc? I'll be honest... my beers have been fantastic lately and a lack of this information is not making me lose sleep but I would still like to have a better handle on what it does and the variables. My guess is that you'll say "wait for the podcast"... right? :D

At this point we've been throwing emails around.  On the 30th we interview for the podcast.  If there's something you want us to talk to him about, send a reminder email to questions@experimentalbrew.com.  That way I can remember it!

#279 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

At this point we've been throwing emails around.  On the 30th we interview for the podcast.  If there's something you want us to talk to him about, send a reminder email to questions@experimentalbrew.com.  That way I can remember it!

Thanks Denny.

As an aside... I'm brewing today. A pilsner with Barke Pils, CaraHell, CaraPils and a smidge of Munich 1. Magnum, Spalt and Hallertau Mittelfruh and WLP830 German Lager yeast. I did the /4 tsp of brewtan in the strike water, about 1/8 tsp in the sparge and I have the 1/2 tsp of slurry scheduled to go into the boil with 15 minutes left. Also, I made the previous 830 batch about a month ago and wanted to get it out of the primary which is why I'm brewing today even though I don't have an open keg. So I used my new Better Bottle purging tool (keg fitting connected to tubing and then connected to a carboy cap) and purged the Better Bottle and racked that beer to a secondary. First time I have used a secondary since using brewtan. My guess is that it will be just fine in there with brewtan protecting it and the purging done. Cheers.

#280 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

OK, Ken, you made the show!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users