517 replies to this topic

#401 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16601 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Two more things I will add. The first one is that the lagers I have made with Brewtan b have been so clear that I did not need to fine several of them. Also my most recent IPA I left out the brewtan b however it is a New England IPA so I'm afraid that's not going to tell us much. I want to try making a more standard American IPA and see if I can get it to clarify with biofine and or gelatin prior to adding the dry hops because in the past that was never a problem.

#402 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16601 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Whirlpool hops add a lot of polyphenols to your beer. Those can cause haze and I don't know how effective Brewtan would be at polyphenol/protein haze post boil.

Clarifying a beer with a lot of whirlpool hops post fermentation was not a problem before I started using Brewtan B.

#403 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Clarifying a beer with a lot of whirlpool hops post fermentation was not a problem before I started using Brewtan B.

Wow...hmmmm...dunno then.  I'll try to find time to see if Joe has any ideas.

#404 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

Whirlpool hops add a lot of polyphenols to your beer.  Those can cause haze and I don't know how effective Brewtan would be at polyphenol/protein haze post boil.

the beer I mentioned above had quite a few hops added at flame out but I did not do a hop stand in the middle of my chilling process.

#405 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16601 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Wow...hmmmm...dunno then.  I'll try to find time to see if Joe has any ideas.

Thanks man. That would be appreciated.

#406 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Ok, I used the brewtan on a kolsch. It's really good. I mean it's usually really good, but it's damn near perfect right now. No side by side comparison so I can't say if it's just the batch or the brewtan.

#407 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53896 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

Ok, I used the brewtan on a kolsch. It's really good. I mean it's usually really good, but it's damn near perfect right now. No side by side comparison so I can't say if it's just the batch or the brewtan.

That was my exact reaction to the first batch (a helles) where I used brewtan.

#408 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'm waiting to hear back from the distributor about when it will be out there.

#409 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47922 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

Looking around Google, I saw this Aussie site selling it for $9.50 plus $10 shipping to me for a 50g package.  If those are AU$ that's about $16.50.  50g should be enough for 15 batches, at least - if I'm doing the math right.

What do you think?

#410 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

I think Ken got some there in the past.  Really only option unless you have a professional contact.

You could see if this guy has any more.

Looking around Google, I saw this Aussie site selling it for $9.50 plus $10 shipping to me for a 50g package.  If those are AU$ that's about $16.50.  50g should be enough for 15 batches, at least - if I'm doing the math right.

What do you think?

Edited by drez77, 05 September 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#411 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53896 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Yep, that's where I got mine. Denny might have a contact now and I think he's working to get Wyeast to make it available to homebrewers.

#412 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47922 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

I don't think I'm quite yet up to speed enough to try this, as I'm still working on basic things like crush. ;)  Gimme a few months, though and I don't think seventy-five cents a batch is out of bounds to find out if it's worthwhile.

#413 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

I don't think I'm quite yet up to speed enough to try this, as I'm still working on basic things like crush. ;)  Gimme a few months, though and I don't think seventy-five cents a batch is out of bounds to find out if it's worthwhile.

I have done a side by side batch and I can say it does make a difference.  I have had a helles on tap for 6 months that still tasted very fresh.  This weekend I put on an 11 month old milk stout that tasted perfect.  Not sure if it is all brewtan but I feel it helps for sure.

#414 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Yep, that's where I got mine. Denny might have a contact now and I think he's working to get Wyeast to make it available to homebrewers.

Not Wyeast, but a major homebrew wholesaler.  I just sent off an email to see what's up.

#415 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53896 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Not Wyeast, but a major homebrew wholesaler.  I just sent off an email to see what's up.

Cool. Keep us posted. Also, as long as we're on it... what is your CURRENT thought on Brewtan? Thumbs-up, thumbs-down, take it or leave it, wouldn't brew without it, etc?

#416 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Cool. Keep us posted. Also, as long as we're on it... what is your CURRENT thought on Brewtan? Thumbs-up, thumbs-down, take it or leave it, wouldn't brew without it, etc?

Just heard back...looks like it could be in the homebrew chain in the next week or so, as soon as it gets packaged.  I'm waiting for permission to actually tell you where to get it.

My current thoughts are the same as before...I will use it in every beer.  The German pils pic I posted a couple days ago used it.  It's not only crystal; clear, the malt flavor is incredible.  It hasn't aged a lot yet, but other Brewtan beers that have some months on them fared very well.  I hope we'll have the results of our Brewtan B aging experiment soon.

Edited by denny, 05 September 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#417 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

I hope we'll have the results of our Brewtan B aging experiment soon.

Having done my own aged experiment I know where I stand.

#418 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

Just heard back...looks like it could be in the homebrew chain in the next week or so, as soon as it gets packaged.  I'm waiting for permission to actually tell you where to get it.

My current thoughts are the same as before...I will use it in every beer.  The German pils pic I posted a couple days ago used it.  It's not only crystal; clear, the malt flavor is incredible.  It hasn't aged a lot yet, but other Brewtan beers that have some months on them fared very well.  I hope we'll have the results of our Brewtan B aging experiment soon.

That's great news as my stash is running low.    :D     That Australian site worked ok before but I think they sent it over on the slowest ship in the Pacific.  

#419 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

OK, I got the go ahead....wholesaler Brewcraft will have it available in the next week or so.  Your LHBS should be able to order it from them.

#420 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

OK, I got the go ahead....wholesaler Brewcraft will have it available in the next week or so.  Your LHBS should be able to order it from them.

Cool, that is good news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users