10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

So I cleaned and sanitized my flask, added about 5-6 ounces of bottled water to it and rehydrated this S-189 over about 30 minutes. I took a few whiffs of it and it smelled pretty boring. Not sure how that will translate but I'm curious about what else people have brewed with it. I pitched on Saturday at 1pm and with a swirl of the primary this morning, I have some minor blooping and things smell nice with the amount of hops I put into this beer. I notice that with a gold lager, especially one that is on the wimpy side (5%, SRM 4-5, IBUs in the mid-20s) that the yeast could make or break that beer. Something with no character could push the beer towards bland (like 2007) while something with more character could really make things work nicely (like 2124 or other German/Czech strain). Helles has been a popular style around here but I hesitate if the yeast is too neutral. Case in point... this "cream ale" I made with 2112. 2-row, some flaked corn, Vienna, Mt. hood to bitter and Hallertau late. Perfectly fine beer but the 2112 is pretty boring. Thoughts?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

Rehydrated yeast wont smell like much, if you're used to smelling a starter or smack pack, I remember the 189 having a clean yet didstinctly lagery charachter.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

Rehydrated yeast wont smell like much, if you're used to smelling a starter or smack pack, I remember the 189 having a clean yet didstinctly lagery charachter.

I thought the same thing and I won't base any opinions on this until I taste the beer. I suppose that once I taste the beer I'll be able to determine what other styles it will work in. Cheers.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

Ken, I'm gonna give you my best advice...calm down!  This is beer, it's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun...you sound like you're stressing WAAAYYYY too much!  Take it easy, relax, and see what happens.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Ken, I'm gonna give you my best advice...calm down! This is beer, it's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun...you sound like you're stressing WAAAYYYY too much! Take it easy, relax, and see what happens.

RDWHAHB!

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Ken, I'm gonna give you my best advice...calm down!  This is beer, it's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun...you sound like you're stressing WAAAYYYY too much!  Take it easy, relax, and see what happens.

*checks Ken's pulse*

seems alright

#7 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

Ken, my light beer is great with it b/c it has some malt sweetness. My hoppy German pils is not as good as with 34/70 or 2124 and seems a bit rougher in hop caharacter. My CZ Tmave is still lagering and only carbed for a couple days but shows promise.

2124 sticks out and shouts at you. This yeast is not as characterful. I'd call it neutral in flavor. Probably best for malty styles or American pils where you don't want yeast character interfering with malt. I'll probably designate S-189 for my clean malty beers and use 34/70/2124 for German pils, MJ84 for my CZ beers.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:29 PM

ZOMG, my thread broke Denny's brain! :lol: Sorry Denny, just trying to get some info on a yeast I've never used.

Ken, my light beer is great with it b/c it has some malt sweetness. My hoppy German pils is not as good as with 34/70 or 2124 and seems a bit rougher in hop caharacter. My CZ Tmave is still lagering and only carbed for a couple days but shows promise.

2124 sticks out and shouts at you. This yeast is not as characterful. I'd call it neutral in flavor. Probably best for malty styles or American pils where you don't want yeast character interfering with malt. I'll probably designate S-189 for my clean malty beers and use 34/70/2124 for German pils, MJ84 for my CZ beers.

This is helpful. I agree on the 2124 (one of my favorites). How do you see S-189 working in something darker like a Vienna, Mexican Vienna (Negra Modelo-type beer), etc?

#9 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:46 PM

ZOMG, my thread broke Denny's brain! :lol: Sorry Denny, just trying to get some info on a yeast I've never used.This is helpful. I agree on the 2124 (one of my favorites). How do you see S-189 working in something darker like a Vienna, Mexican Vienna (Negra Modelo-type beer), etc?

Yes, as I was typing that reply I was thinking it would go well in my house lager--a mexican helles. I don't like MJ84 in it cuz it's a bit estery and W34 sticks out a little much in it.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

This S-189 pils was taken out of the fridge over the weekend so I could put my dark lager in there. The pils will be taken out of primary over the weekend (I think) and I need something else to make with it. I was thinking "red lager"... Chils, how do you think it would be? 2-row, Vienna, some British Crystal and Special B, Magnum to bitter and then Hallertau Mitt late in the boil. 5%, SRM 13 or so, 30 IBUs. Would S-189 pair well with that recipe?

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

I think that will be great Ken. I pulled a pint of my Hoppy German pils to check the character of it and still think it's rough. I don't like this yeast in hoppy beers but think both of my malt focused ones are great. I'll use S-189 on all my malty lagers in the future and other yeast for the hoppy ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users