40 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

I may have been ruined on Motueka. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try it again but there is a commercial beer here (from 5 Rabbits) that uses Motueka and the beer is just not that good. My wife and I tried it at a bar and I had to choke it down and my wife didn't even finish it. I checked in with a couple of other beerheads that I know and they had the same opinion. "Disgusting", "Appalling" and "Horrendous" were some adjectives. It's a pale-colored and very cloudy ale. It finishes very sweet and Motueka and Saaz are the hops. Fruity, thick, sweet, blech. I'm sure it's all in the execution but this was not a good beer, IMO.

Sounds less of a hop issue and more of a beer/brewery issue!

#22 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

Agreed 100%. There is absolutely nothing appaling about Motueka. Quite the opposite in fact. 

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

I bet CWG tried that beer at some point. This is a Randy Mosher-affiliated brewery and their angle seems to be one of a Mexican/Latin kind of thing. 5 Rabbits Cervezeria I think the place is called and their beers are unusual to say the least.

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

I've been to 5 Rabbit a few times for events or tours. Their beers have gotten better over the years, particularly when they stopped having their beers contract brewed. Nothing I would seek out or order on tap. Most(all?) of their stuff is spiced or fruited. I believe their head brewer was the head brewer at Goose Island before the buy out.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

I've been to 5 Rabbit a few times for events or tours. Their beers have gotten better over the years, particularly when they stopped having their beers contract brewed. Nothing I would seek out or order on tap. Most(all?) of their stuff is spiced or fruited. I believe their head brewer was the head brewer at Goose Island before the buy out.

I am very open minded about anything "Mexican" but when I looked at some of the descriptions of recipes, I shook my head a little bit. I wouldn't want to base my opinion on just that one beer but the beer itself plus the comments of others plus the descriptions of other beers on their site (some sort of Oaxaca chocolate & cinnamon something or other...) put the brewery out of my mind. All that said, I'm sure the 100% RedX plus all Motueka would result in a nice beer.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

Motueka makes a fine Continenal Pilsner or Helles for sure

#27 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

I dunno, maize and tropical hop hints seems not to jive together. 

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Motueka is supposed to be lemon-limey... right? Personally I would have to find the right spot to use it. When it comes to test-driving a new hop, I like the idea of a blonde ale or mild pale ale so that the character of the hop can come through. A helles with Motueka could be nice, I'm sure but I generally save Noble hops for helles so I wouldn't use it in that particular style.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

I've never actually used maize in a Contintetal Pilsner

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:07 AM

Motueka is supposed to be lemon-limey... right? Personally I would have to find the right spot to use it. When it comes to test-driving a new hop, I like the idea of a blonde ale or mild pale ale so that the character of the hop can come through. A helles with Motueka could be nice, I'm sure but I generally save Noble hops for helles so I wouldn't use it in that particular style.

Blonde or pale would be a good choice as you suggested.

#31 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

I hope to have 3 Helles on tap by the end of July; Blanc, Motueka and Meridian. I think I still have some Mittelfrueh, so maybe 4 :)

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

I hope to have 3 Helles on tap by the end of July; Blanc, Motueka and Meridian. I think I still have some Mittelfrueh, so maybe 4 :)

I recently picked up some Mittelfruh from Rebel at 4.2% and they are in my helles that's in primary. CWG, could you describe the character of the Hallertau Blanc? I once went on an off-the-map German hop-a-palooza where I ordered Opal, Hallertau Select, Merkur and a few others I had never heard of. Blanc was not one of them.

#33 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:42 AM

I get "Noble"/floral with pineapple/gooseberry/tropical. It isn't as assertive as some American/New Zealand hops. Subtle, I use 4 ounces for a 5 gallon batch.

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

I get "Noble"/floral with pineapple/gooseberry/tropical. It isn't as assertive as some American/New Zealand hops. Subtle, I use 4 ounces for a 5 gallon batch.

This. Kinda like the fruit and wineyness of Nelson with no where near the pungency/strength and no dankness whatsoever.

Edited by neddles, 21 June 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#35 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

When I have Blanc Helles on tap, the wife and I pretty much drink nothing else. I hope the latest s-189 batch is as good as my regular 2308.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

When I have Blanc Helles on tap, the wife and I pretty much drink nothing else. I hope the latest s-189 batch is as good as my regular 2308.

Have you posted said recipe? 

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

This. Kinda like the fruit and wineyness of Nelson with no where near the pungency/strength and no dankness whatsoever.

Interesting. I have no problem with that kind of character as long as it doesn't hit you over the head. I know that I can use Citra, Galaxy, etc. if I want fruitiness to blow my hat off but to have a hop with just a hint of that sounds nice. I should pick some up.

#38 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Have you posted said recipe? 

I don't use software anymore, I use one of these books my friend designed to keep my recipes.

11# Czech floor malted Pils

OG 1.055
FG 1.015

7g calc chloride
5g gypsum
5 ml lactic acid

Mash 152 no sparge

90 minute boil

1 oz 7% AA Hall Blanc 60
1 oz 7% AA Hall Blanc 15
2 oz 7% AA Hall Blanc HWP 150F 20 minutes

Wyeast 2308 @ 50F

Interesting. I have no problem with that kind of character as long as it doesn't hit you over the head. I know that I can use Citra, Galaxy, etc. if I want fruitiness to blow my hat off but to have a hop with just a hint of that sounds nice. I should pick some up.

I get mine from Farmhouse brewing supply. 

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for that. I can see my self making that exactly as is.

#40 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for that. I can see my self making that exactly as is.

:cheers: It's a tasty beer with a pretty straight forward recipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users